Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yeah and its good to get to know your isurance agent. Sometimes if you good with them, they would put you car as a "family sedan". Thats what my friend had his under.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Yeah and its good to get to know your isurance agent. Sometimes if you good with them, they would put you car as a "family sedan". Thats what my friend had his under.
these are the factors that effect your car insurance rate:

ZIP code
year of car
Driver age
Driving Record
Coverage limit & Deductibles
Symbol* = *(avg acc rate, avg cost to repair, theft frequency, etc)
Discounts (multi policy, Good Student, Acc free, etc)

Things that are not a factor in insurance rates:

# of doors
HP
Color
Crash test results
"sports car" or "family car" classes

·
Registered
104 Posts

ZIP code
year of car
Driver age
Driving Record

# of doors
HP
Color
Crash test results
Whats the GPA required for Good Student discount?

·
Registered
46 Posts

ZIP code
year of car
Driver age
Driving Record

# of doors
HP
Color
Crash test results
well...speaking from experience, when I purchased my WRX we had to insure it on my parents' policy and list me as primary driver...I wanted my own policy...my car my policy...but they were not going to insure me and the letter they sent stating they were not going to insure me said it was because the car was a "sports car due to the turbocharged engine"...

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
We have a list of certain cars that we will not insure a youthful driver on (under 5 years driving experience) but it is a yes or no, and has no effect on the rates.

·
Premium Member
3,035 Posts
I had the good student discount all through college. It saved me at least $10-15 a month. It all depended on the car I was insuring at the time.

·
Registered
409 Posts
from our rating manual

honestly? I think thats a valid thing to do...

too many kids have cars that are WAY overpowered for their experience and it puts myself, my family, and my friends at risk when Im on the road with someone whos been driving 3 weeks and is in a BMW M3 or a Nissan 350Z...

hell there was a kid in my neighborhood who JUST got his full license, and his parents decided to pick him up a used, worked over GS-T with about 340hp. Who the hell thought THAT was a good idea?

·
Premium Member
3,035 Posts
A guy I work with just bought his 16 year old son a Fiero GT when he got his license. 96 hours after getting his license, he wrecked it. Minor damage. After getting it all fixed and stuff, the kid gets charge with reckless op for spinning the tires from a stop sign in his dad's MINIVAN of all things.

I started out with a 55 hp VW Rabbit Diesel. It wasn't a bad place to start, that's for sure.

·
Registered
199 Posts
comparing insurance is tough to do because there are so many variables. i pay $100/month for my 8. 24, good credit, no reported incidents (1 ticket 15 over in another state 3 years ago that didn't get reported to my DMV), all that. but i'm on my parent's policy still because i live at home. so that's just what my car costs on their policy. they get discounts for having home and umbrella policies with the same company as well along with the 5 vehicles they have on there. so what i pay for insurance has no real bearing on what someone else would pay for the same insurance.

the only real way to get an accurate price for insurance for you is to pick what you want for limits and deductibles then go shop around. i do recommend shopping around as well, whether it be by going to an independent agent who has multiple carriers or by doing it online or a combination of the two. prices can vary greatly from carrier to carrier based on their risk appetite for your risk profile. something to also remember when shopping around is to look into the service reputation of a company. people shop around most frequently for new auto insurance after a claim not because their rates went up but because of how they were treated during the claim. insurance does no good if the company doesn't want to pay and makes you exerpt a ton of effort to get what is rightly yours.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
i got one from my insurance a quote state farm for a 9 and would only be 93$.

as for kids with high power cars.well my neighbor had a fully built oldsmobile with a 440 engine.running high 9's at the track gave it to his nephew for his 18 b-day.almost killed himself dragging in the street.the car could almost pick up it self from the front.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.