Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I filed my taxes and made a short list of parts I plan on gettin' and now wonderin' about the aem cia.Will I need to get a tune or will the engine be fine?It's a sweet looking intake and still uses the stock snorkel,so if I can use it with out a tune I'll get it.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I dont think the CIA makes an intake but you can go to their office and ask them. I'm sure they'd be happy to answer any and all questions :p

No, you dont need a tune but it always helps. Do you plan to get an exhaust or anything in the near future? If so then just wait till you get whatever else and get a tune then.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I threw this on after I purchased the car a couple of years ago. You'll be fine without a tune. Once you grab a catback, or full TBE, then get yourself a tune so you can have it tuned altogether. GL.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Who knows,maybe they do and hell no,I'm not callin'.What kind of power difference will I notice with the intake?Obviously I've never had one on any of my vehicles so that's why I'm asking.Just trying to learn what I can.I'm gonna hopefully get the parts on my list engine wise then focus on mild suspension upgrades,I'm buying a house so I gotta watch the monies for awhile.Gonna take advantage of my refund though.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Who knows,maybe they do and hell no,I'm not callin'.What kind of power difference will I notice with the intake?Obviously I've never had one on any of my vehicles so that's why I'm asking.Just trying to learn what I can.I'm gonna hopefully get the parts on my list engine wise then focus on mild suspension upgrades,I'm buying a house so I gotta watch the monies for awhile.Gonna take advantage of my refund though.
I'd definitely buy a space bar before I spent the money on a "CIA". :bowlol:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Intake, by itself, will not really yield much of a gain unless it is designed to lean out the air/fuel mixture (which most are). The problem with that is when the car runs too lean, there are a number of dangerous issues that may occur. The fact that AEM and other intake manufacturers design the intakes to run safely without a tune means that the changes they are making are minimal, to avoid damage, that means limited power gains. A $50 high-flow panel air filter will likely show very similar results without tuning.

If you haven't upgraded your intercooler and piping yet, I'd look into that direction first as the hard-pipes will likely yield similar gains in vehicle response while the larger intercooler will actually make the car safer to drive since the stock fmic is TERRIBLE at shedding heat due to its tiny size. You may even see some power gain due to lower intake charge temps from the more-efficient intercooler.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.