Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone remove the black side covers for the intercooler to open it up, show off the fmic?

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
This has been hashed over a few times. General consensus, especially due to that Mitsubishi aero PDF that floats around, is that removing them is detrimental in the long run. They direct air to the intercooler and radiator and whatnot so it's not a good idea to pull them off. If you want to bling it up but CF ones.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This has been hashed over a few times. General consensus, especially due to that Mitsubishi aero PDF that floats around, is that removing them is detrimental in the long run. They direct air to the intercooler and radiator and whatnot so it's not a good idea to pull them off. If you want to bling it up but CF ones.
wish i would of known that before doing it. looks like ill be putting them back on tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
take a pic a post it before you do...

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
They are there to help with air flow over the intercooler. Remove them if you want to mess up the airflow through the front end...

Contrary to popular belief, seeing your FMIC hangers and the LICP is not actually that cool, delete your fogs and you can see your LICP and increase your airflow over your driver side brakes...very important when commuting!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
i wounder if anyone makes clear side covers....or if I could fab some....

·
Registered
67 Posts
if u take those plastic pieces out, u can see most of the air are going to the side for oil cooling not much for intercooler if u have those on, i removed my foglight and use rexpeed air duct ,so i assume that i have enough air for oil cooling from the air duct.so i took those plastic pieces out.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
if u take those plastic pieces out, u can see most of the air are going to the side for oil cooling not much for intercooler if u have those on, i removed my foglight and use rexpeed air duct ,so i assume that i have enough air for oil cooling from the air duct.so i took those plastic pieces out.
Taking those out does not send more air to the cooler... Look at the air flow diagrams, they are there to increase both airflow through the intercooler and to the brakes. Without they are hitting a brick wall.

Please don't suggest something that isn't worth it's weight in camel shit. Those parts are there for a reason, can you tell driving to get some Ramen noodles at Piggly Wiggly, most likely not.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Taking those out does not send more air to the cooler... Look at the air flow diagrams, they are there to increase both airflow through the intercooler and to the brakes. Without they are hitting a brick wall.

Please don't suggest something that isn't worth it's weight in camel shit. Those parts are there for a reason, can you tell driving to get some Ramen noodles at Piggly Wiggly, most likely not.
Yeah, he needs to at least publish his theories in .pdf format to earn any credibility :p

Before ever seeing the pdfs a long, long time ago, I always recommended ricers keep that plastic shit on there, stop trying to show off an intercooler, just on sheer principle.

Now would a brake ducting kit rob air flow and/or cause turbulence resulting in lowered air velocity through the oil cooler?

You basically hack up these plastic guides we're referring to and throw ducts in there...

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Yeah, he needs to at least publish his theories in .pdf format to earn any credibility :p

Before ever seeing the pdfs a long, long time ago, I always recommended ricers keep that plastic shit on there, stop trying to show off an intercooler, just on sheer principle.

Now would a brake ducting kit rob air flow and/or cause turbulence resulting in lowered air velocity through the oil cooler?

You basically hack up these plastic guides we're referring to and throw ducts in there...
No PDF needed, the photo says enough!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

Putting in a AMS style brake duct in that location is not detrimental to flow to the intercooler or the oil cooler. It retains the plastic air guides so most of the air is going to be directed to the intercooler. The rest goes straight into the NACA duct and to the brakes via the hoses and the aluminum guides to the center of the rotor.

The NACA ducts in the kit provide a path for the air to flow, so velocity is not going to be changed to the other areas. Without the plastic ducts turbulence kills the velocity because there is no direct path for the air to take.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i didn't say take those off send more air to intercooler!!!! i mean taking those off will send less air to the side for oil cooler and brake ,but i remove the fog light and with that air duct it won't be problem for the side air flow.and
i didn't suggest anything i just tell him what i did to my car!!!

·
Registered
538 Posts

I'd have to type an entire paragraph to put in my 2 cents. I like using visuals to explain my thoughts. If the pdf spec sheet was more clear you could see where the arrows are pointing on the original Mitsu diagram.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.