Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I have a bit of a strange problem.

Say im parked in a space and need to reverse out of it. I select reverse but now and again the r on the dash just flashes and the revs hunt up and down.

Then it stops flashing and im able to reverse i have had it in the dealer and they say it has the latest software which means it beeps in reverse now so it is ok but i assured them it is not ok but they said there was nothing else they can do so i am changing dealers now.

Hope you guys can shed some light on it and also is there a way of stopping the beeping when putting it in reverse

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
That is a normal occurance with the SST. Happens to me every now and then. Usually when I start the car up and try to go right into reverse too quickly. The SST is part computer remember and sometimes has little hicups.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok cool at least im not the only one with it lol

Why couldnt the dealer have told me that instead of saying there is nothing they can do for it.

Does your car have the beeping when reverse is selected it sounds like a lorry

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
No beeping. But I would like to own a Transit. Hardly see them here in the US. :)

Most car dealers know less than they should about pretty much everything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No beeping. But I would like to own a Transit. Hardly see them here in the US. :)

Most car dealers know less than they should about pretty much everything.

Yeah i was told it was because it has the latest software in the transmission and there is nothing that can be done with it.

Yeah am going to be taking it to a dealer recommended to me by a friend where he used to take all his evos

·
Registered
298 Posts
Normal since the computer is programmed to fun for a bit before driving

·
Registered
219 Posts
i dunno about euro evo's but in the US, the SST should NOT beep in Reverse. the only thing i can think of is that you didnt let the SST warm up enough and it takes some time for the SST to "find" R. THAT is normal. beeping? not so much... :confused2:

·
Registered
7,772 Posts
Nothing needs to warm up - it's not temperature related. It takes about five seconds of "ignition on" time for the gearbox to boot - similar to the time it takes the MMCS/NAV thingie to wake up.

If it flashes R for you, select N, wait a second or two, then select R again. You will be good to go.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
Nothing needs to warm up - it's not temperature related. It takes about five seconds of "ignition on" time for the gearbox to boot - similar to the time it takes the MMCS/NAV thingie to wake up.

If it flashes R for you, select N, wait a second or two, then select R again. You will be good to go.
:yeahthat: Happens to me once in a while when I am in a hurry.

·
Registered
751 Posts
It's just allowing the input shafts to get themselves sorted. However long periods of no engagement are an issue.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Good to know

·
Registered
219 Posts

i dunno if this is happening 100% in this instance but the manual CLEARLY states that it may take longer to engage a gear if the SST fluid temp is low.

turn the page and it talks about the blinking R issue. it states it blinks because the SST has not engaged the gear.

SST booting up? the TCU is linked to the ECU by canbus no? the ecu certainly doesnt have to boot up so why does the TCU?

a HDD nav system booting up? makes sense...

i dunno. i'd go with the fluid temp theory... or maybe there is an internal pump that has to "boot up" etc...

·
Registered
7,772 Posts
^
Curious. Except for one time as noted below, the only times I've ever gotten the blinking R are when backing out of my temp-controlled garage (stays between a min of 55 degrees and a max of 90). I've never gotten the flashing R when storing the car in the driveway where the temp swings are much woider (min ~10F, max 120). So, for me, temperature doesn't appear to be an issue.

On the temperature note how much can the temp change in five seconds of idling? I wouldn't expect very much.

I did get it once when backing out of a parking space after a drive (quick stop for provisions) so the car was fully warmed. I must have selected R too quickly.

What are people experiencing that actually live [and keep their cars] in cold weather?

There is an internal pump but I expect that is mechanically linked to input shaft speed (engine RPM).

·
Registered
219 Posts
^
Curious. Except for one time as noted below, the only times I've ever gotten the blinking R are when backing out of my temp-controlled garage (stays between a min of 55 degrees and a max of 90). I've never gotten the flashing R when storing the car in the driveway where the temp swings are much woider (min ~10F, max 120). So, for me, temperature doesn't appear to be an issue.

On the temperature note how much can the temp change in five seconds of idling? I wouldn't expect very much.

I did get it once when backing out of a parking space after a drive (quick stop for provisions) so the car was fully warmed. I must have selected R too quickly.

What are people experiencing that actually live [and keep their cars] in cold weather?

There is an internal pump but I expect that is mechanically linked to input shaft speed (engine RPM).
Sounds to me like the blinking R is a warning for any and all problems. these problems seem to be precipitated by selecting R too quickly. in other words if you start the car cold and the temp is too low it may not engage the gear. if you have a warmed up car and select R then gas it too quickly, it may not have engaged R yet and when you gas it, it will give that warning?

it also sounds like this is unique to R and not the forward gears... hmmm...

·
Registered
219 Posts
ok found this on the interwebs. end thread...

No: TSB-08-22-002
DATE: June, 2008
MODEL: 2008 Lancer Evolution, 2009 Lancer Ralliart
CIRCULATE TO:
[ ] GENERAL MANAGER
[ X ] PARTS MANAGER
[ X ] TECHNICIAN
[ X ] SERVICE ADVISOR
[ X ] SERVICE MANAGER
[] WARRANTY PROCESSOR
[ X ] SALES MANAGER
PURPOSE

This Technical Service Bulletin outlines some of the characteristics of the Twin Clutch-Sportronic Shift Transmission (TC-SST) to assist dealer staff in responding accurately to customer inquiries.
AFFECTED VEHICLE(S)

2008-on Lancer Evolution MR w/TC-SST
2009-on Lancer Ralliart w/TC-SST
DETAILS

* Delay in Engine Shut Off After Turning the Ignition Switch to the OFF Position - There is a delay of 1 - 2 seconds for the engine to shut off after the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position. To allow quicker shifts, two gears are always engaged in this transmission. The delay during engine shut down allows the gears to fully disengage. This provides a smoother start up. If the gears remained engaged, the added resistance could lead to hard starting. As a note, the throttle will respond during this 1-2 second period. The transmission should not be shifted during this period.

* Throttle Delay at Start Up - If the ambient temperature is very low (approx. -20o C, -4o F), engine speed is restricted to 3,000 rpm for approximately 3 seconds after starting, if the gearshift is in N and the brake pedal is not depressed. This is a normal characteristic. Transmission oil viscosity is very high in very cold temperatures and there is a slight possibility of clutch drag. Because gears are always pre-engaged in N, there is a slight possibility that the vehicle could move if the clutch drags.

* Delayed Engagement from P - Due to the complex nature of the transmission, customers may experience longer gear engagement than they might initially expect. This is a normal characteristic.

* Flashing "R" indicator on MID - When shifting into R (reverse position), the customer may notice the R in the MID flashing, indicating an unsuccessful shift. This may be due to gear blocking. The TC-SST is an automated manual transmission and occasional gear blocking is possible. If a customer complains of this condition, advise them to shift to a different gear and then retry reverse.

* Transmission Gear Noise - As mentioned, 2 gears are always engaged at the same time. This means that the transfer gear is in contact with 2 gears and turning 2 shafts within the transmission. This multiple gear selection creates additional noise heard from the transmission when driving. Because gears are always pre-engaged in N, there is a certain amount of N gear rattle.
* Harsh Shifting in Sport and Super Sport Modes - When in Sport or Supersport modes, the transmission shifts quicker than in Normal mode, and upshifts occur at higher RPM. This can cause a "shock" when shifts occur. This "shock" has been calibrated to provide a shift feed-back to the driver.

* ECM Control Unit Enhancements - The control units for the engine and the transmission are individual units. The transmission control module (TCM) is located inside the transmission and communicates continuously with the engine control module (ECM) through the Controller Area Network (CAN). Information regarding engine RPM, throttle opening, and output torque are monitored by the TCM to optimize gear shifts. The TCM looks for specific values from the ECM in order to accomplish precise shifts and under some driving conditions, the TCM commands the ECM. Modifying the engine control module or its software, or adding performance equipment (e.g. camshafts, turbocharger, exhaust), may seriously affect the performance and operation of the the engine and/or transmission.

* Power Braking (Applying the brake and throttle at the same time) - The gear sets of the TC-SST are like those in a manual transmission, but with hydraulic gear and clutch actuation. It features an automated mode where the gears are shifted automatically under the control of a computer. Power is transferred from the engine through clutches like a manual transmission as opposed to through a torque convertor like an automatic transmission. The clutches in the TC-SST are wet-type and located inside the transmission. When power braking an automatic transmission, the clutches within the transmission are fully engaged and the fluid coupling of the torque convertor allows slippage between the engine and transmission. While this does increase automatic transmission oil temperature, there is no slippage of the clutches themselves. The clutches in the TC-SST function more like a manual transmission clutch. If you power brake, the ECM communicates the increase in engine RPM to the TCM, which begins to apply the clutches. This causes them to slip, leading to elevated transmission oil temperature. If the oil overheats, a warning will appear on the Multi-Information Display (MID). Power braking will shorten the life of the clutches.

PS: i have a 2010 and it has never blinked R. But i already knew of this problem and always let it warm up and never choose R too quickly so... who knows whats goin on in there...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys

I have a bit of a strange problem.

Say im parked in a space and need to reverse out of it. I select reverse but now and again the r on the dash just flashes and the revs hunt up and down.

Then it stops flashing and im able to reverse i have had it in the dealer and they say it has the latest software which means it beeps in reverse now so it is ok but i assured them it is not ok but they said there was nothing else they can do so i am changing dealers now.

Hope you guys can shed some light on it and also is there a way of stopping the beeping when putting it in reverse

Many thanks
Hi how are you doing? Did you ever find out what was wrong with it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts