Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
It's kind of a mess right now from the install (tools and parts all over the place). I'll work on getting one uploaded though. You looking for something in particular or are you just curious to see what it looks like?

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
Just looking to see what it looks like. Kinda looks like that kit is just out there and out of place

·
Administrator
24,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Yeah, I guess he has it just temporarily installed or something, because he's not using the bracket for anything productive. The lines aren't really routed nicely either, but it should still work.

Anyway, I need you to go ahead and take apart the fpr and lay out the pieces in the order and orientation that they come out. Take pics of that.

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
Yeah, I guess he has it just temporarily installed or something, because he's not using the bracket for anything productive. The lines aren't really routed nicely either, but it should still work.

Anyway, I need you to go ahead and take apart the fpr and lay out the pieces in the order and orientation that they come out. Take pics of that.
ok. That is what I was getting at. It just looked sloppy and I wasnt sure if it was just a temp install or what.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I had it installed pretty & it looked great. Once I realized that it was not working property I started trouble shooting. I changed the supplied vac line to a thicker rubber vac line(temp) & the psi dropped from 5psi (down to 45) with no other changes. Then I Pm'ed Dino & he asked for pics of all the fittings. The only way to get clean pics of the bottom fitting was to unmount the bracket. I assure you that I did not install it & just leave the mounting bracket hanging under the two mounting points for the bracket.

I guess it is what you would consider a temp install. I'll disconnect the fpr & take pics for you Dino.

·
Administrator
24,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Yeah, that looks right to me. If you thread the screw down more, does the fuel pressure rise? Also, what kind of gauge are you using?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yeah, that looks right to me. If you thread the screw down more, does the fuel pressure rise? Also, what kind of gauge are you using?
Nope, when i thread the screw in it does nothing, if i disconnect the vac line it does nothing. It's a turbosmart fuel pressure gauge.

I will have to post a pic of the orifice later. Any particular part of the orifice? Do you want a picture of it installed/uninstalled? I was super careful with it (per the aem instructions) & torqued it to spec (according to the AEM instructions).

·
Registered
372 Posts
From the intake manifold. It's almost like the stem that you screw the orifice into is machined incorrectly (too long if you will). When you install everything in order there's absolutely no room to screw the adjustment screw in. The adjustment screw is actually digging into the hat on the top of the spring.... and i haven't tightened the adjustment screw all the way. I sincerely believe that there's something wrong with the fpr. Unfortunately I do not know anyone else with a AEM unit that I could swap fpr with to test.

·
Administrator
24,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
From the intake manifold. It's almost like the stem that you screw the orifice into is machined incorrectly (too long if you will).
Can you explain this better? And/or take a pic?

When you install everything in order there's absolutely no room to screw the adjustment screw in. The adjustment screw is actually digging into the hat on the top of the spring.... and i haven't tightened the adjustment screw all the way.
Well, it is supposed to push down on the hat to preload it, but it usually doesn't contact it until it's about halfway threaded in.

I sincerely believe that there's something wrong with the fpr. Unfortunately I do not know anyone else with a AEM unit that I could swap fpr with to test.
Do you have another car to drive?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Can you explain this better? And/or take a pic?

Well, it is supposed to push down on the hat to preload it, but it usually doesn't contact it until it's about halfway threaded in.

Do you have another car to drive?
The part that you screw the orifice into.... The oem fuel pressure regulator boost source on the intake manifold.

I am just taking a shot in the dark & guessing that it may be machined too long & the orifice sits too high.

that's about right, maybe less than half way on mine to be accurate.... mine digs into the cap/hat literally. I haven't tightened the screw all the way either.

Fortunately yes... my evo is not my dd but it's killing me to not have it for all the events this weekend.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don't think that anything is wrong with the orifice. The orifice looks fine. The base of the regulator that you screw the orifice into is what I am guessing has machining flaws. I could be totally wrong though. Something is wrong with the regulator, I was just assuming it was that. If I took a picture of the base of the regulator you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at it.

·
Administrator
24,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Gotcha. Well, alright, here's what we'll do - contact AEM's customer service directly and see what they say. If they don't give you the time of day, send it back to me and I'll try to get it taken care of another way.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts