Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Filed under: Trends, Safety, Driving

Red light cameras are nothing more than a surreptitious tax. Oh sure, they're sold to municipalities as a safety benefit, but what else would you say if you wanted to be paid to install, administrate, and monitor your little ticket-writing bots? The cities and towns that put the cameras greedily snap up the extra revenue generated by dangerously short yellow lights and overzealous cameras. Patrick Bedard has been poking holes in the theory that traffic cameras are the salve for behind the wheel idiocy, and a recent study by the University of South Florida Public Health agrees that the cameras actually cause accidents. Other studies also back up the findings that drivers are quicker to slam on their brakes at yellow lights when they spot the cameras. While it should not play out with a rear ending, nobody maintains a safe following distance, or even pays attention. In some cases, the rate of red light running is low enough that the cameras cause a spike in incidents, proving that the cure can sometimes be worse than the sickness.

[Source: Kicking Tires, Photo: Morning Chu Hi]
Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,071 Posts
eck... I don't like them but stating the "cure is worse than the sickness..."

I mean, of course initially people are gonna stop quicker and that could be problematic, but thats just a resolt of the newness of the technology. People now get freaked out by these cameras... (I know they just started putting them up near where i live at busy intersections)

however after even just a couple of weeks and the knowledge that there is a camera there it no longer freaks me out and I don't see anyone blowing the red lights. IMO the worst part of the camera's is that if you don't fully stop behind the white line and then roll forward to make a right it will take your picture. But I hate people blowing through reds when they could have stopped and this fixes that quite well from my experience.

And yes its additional income for the state, but not as much as you would think. I read somewhere and will try to find it again, that 90% of the fees goes to paying for the equipment and paying the camera manufacturers to maintain it and paying for the software and stuff... so if your gonna be pissed at anyone be pissed at the manufacturers of the camera's, they're the ones making the profit.

Oh yeah, or just don't drive like an idiot.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.