Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had my OEM ECU hacked last month, my tuner installed EcuTek software, a test pipe and then we went out on the autobahn to pull some logs and re-map my car.

I have to say he done an awesome job:thumbup:

Got some noOb questions...

Q1) will I always have to go back to the same tuner? is my ECU now password protected like the OEM ECU is?

Q2) Next month I'm getting a new DP, turbo elbow, fuel pump and 3 port. Will i need re-tuned? (I think 100% for the 3 port)but what about the other mods?

Q3) If the OEM ECU can be hacked and EcuTek software can be up-loaded, then whats the point of buying after markets ECU's like MoTec etc...?

thanks...I'm still learning all this technical stuff:confused2:

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump! :dancebanana:

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
another bump!! am I the one and only??? cant be?:dancebanana:

5,198 Posts
First off, if you have a FQ Evo you already had Ecutek on the car. I hope your tuner didn't charge you again for the license.

Q1) will I always have to go back to the same tuner? is my ECU now password protected like the OEM ECU is?
No, anybody with Ecutek can tune your car.

·
aka MitsuEvoX
1,000 Posts
For starters, I don't know anything about EcuTek.

1.) You shouldn't have to go to the same tuner.
2.) Retune for fuel pump and 3 port
3.) The OEM ecu is pretty amazing. AFAIK, the only reason to use an aftermarket ecu would be for anti-lag. I think Robevo is the only one on this forum who has one, but he rally's his Evo.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you say that but if i raise my revs to 5500rpm when stationary.... it sounds just like anti-lag does (backfiring every tenth of a second??) and then I can launch like Ive just been fired out of a cattapult??!!! cant explain it!

·
aka MitsuEvoX
1,000 Posts
You're bouncing off the rev limiter. The stationary rev limit is set at 5500. You're building boost, then launching.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
I hope this doesn't turn into an anti lag vs 2 step thread..

OP - all of your questions have already been answered correctly from the members above.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First off, if you have a FQ Evo you already had Ecutek on the car. I hope your tuner didn't charge you again for the license.

No, anybody with Ecutek can tune your car.

I hope this doesn't turn into an anti lag vs 2 step thread..

OP - all of your questions have already been answered correctly from the members above.
funny cos I never had the 5500rpm launch thing before?

and no, all my questions havent been answered on this thread, if i install a DP will I need to retune?

·
aka MitsuEvoX
1,000 Posts
A retune really isn't needed with the downpipe. It just frees up a little back pressure. Have it on when you get the retune to see best results out of it. But you only NEED a retune with fuel pump and 3 port

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks dude, cos thats whats hapening next month.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts

funny cos I never had the 5500rpm launch thing before?

and no, all my questions havent been answered on this thread, if i install a DP will I need to retune?
That sure is odd your FQ didn't already come with a stationary rev limiter considering that the map was in your "hacked" OEM ECU all along..

·
Registered
561 Posts
All UK cars are ecutek'd and password protected. When you get mapped the 1st time you have to pay for the liscence and they unlock it via wifi, after that you can get it mapped anywhere at anytime without paying the liscence again.
I highly recommend getting you afr checked after the down pipe, the trl elbow/downpipe made a huge difference to mine, ran lean and well, you know my aftermath....
All UK cars have launch control (2 step) as standard

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cheers Mark:thumbup:

and yes I dont want what happened to yours, happening to mine:duh:

I have to say though, Ive never ever experienced that two step launch control until the day after I was re-mapped.

I'll fit the parts they day before I get tuned then, to be on the safe side.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
11,760 Posts
For starters, I don't know anything about EcuTek.

1.) You shouldn't have to go to the same tuner.
2.) Retune for fuel pump and 3 port
3.) The OEM ecu is pretty amazing. AFAIK, the only reason to use an aftermarket ecu would be for anti-lag. I think Robevo is the only one on this forum who has one, but he rally's his Evo.
or if you wanna rev beyond 9K rpms, stock ECU tables only go that far IIRC.

·
aka MitsuEvoX
1,000 Posts
^ Well thanks for the info! I wasn't aware of that.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
1) you should always get a retune after adding any parts to the car (performance parts, not stickers duh)

2) the tables in the ECU can be changed to whatever you want, however given the tacho only goes upto 9k, 9k is pretty much all you would be interested in anyways.

·
Premium Member
11,760 Posts
1) you should always get a retune after adding any parts to the car (performance parts, not stickers duh)

2) the tables in the ECU can be changed to whatever you want, however given the tacho only goes upto 9k, 9k is pretty much all you would be interested in anyways.
Straight from the horse's mouth. Well, looks like I was wrong. :duh:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts