Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own evo X, but lately I started noticing that the stock engine is not producing enough horses for me. Thus I am contemplating whether or not I should invest 15-20k into some serious tuning or get a new ride altogether? My main choice is nissan GTR. As you all know it is also AWD, but has much more power (especially the latest models 2012). Now from a personal experience, which one of the two would be the best daily driver? I do not have kids, so a 2-door sedan is perfectly fine with me. My only concern is the driveability on the track and on the streets in any season. Winter especially, even though GTR is AWD, how does it handle compared to a rally car? As an evo owner, I can say that I feel glued to the road practically on any surface (with proper tires), but I never drove a GTR in snow.

Thanks.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Probably best to ask the GTR forums about most of these questions.

GTR running costs are what I would be most concerned about. It's not really made to be a daily driver in my opinion. Fluids, tires, brakes, rotors are all huge huge money.

If you are planning on dumping 20 grand into the Evo, I would say your money would be better spent to switch to a faster car. The new M5 looks pretty nice for example.

What are you using the car for that the lack of horsepower is becoming an issue? 0-60 times? Do you drag race? Auto X? Track?

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you only noticing that the power is low now - how much more do you think you need?
For under $5k you could have a new turbo and supporting mods and be around 400-450whp.

So it up to you if you really want a new GT-R and if the price is worth it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Considering price I say evo is the best. You could buy 3 evos for the price of one gtr but not sure if gtr is three times better. Plus dont dump a ton of money into your evo because at the end of the day it is still just an evo. Get a stock frame turbo upgrade and supporting mods and it will change everything. $5,000 will completely change your evo into an awesome car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I currently own evo X, but lately I started noticing that the stock engine is not producing enough horses for me. Thus I am contemplating whether or not I should invest 15-20k into some serious tuning or get a new ride altogether? My main choice is nissan GTR. As you all know it is also AWD, but has much more power (especially the latest models 2012). Now from a personal experience, which one of the two would be the best daily driver? I do not have kids, so a 2-door sedan is perfectly fine with me. My only concern is the driveability on the track and on the streets in any season. Winter especially, even though GTR is AWD, how does it handle compared to a rally car? As an evo owner, I can say that I feel glued to the road practically on any surface (with proper tires), but I never drove a GTR in snow.

Thanks.
It may be personal preference... but
I bought an MR so I can daily without having to worry about spending mucho dinero on maintenance program on GTR....and I have 2012 edition.

It is pretty bad idea to have GTR as daily and trust me on that. Unless you have boat load of cash around I would say just keep the Evo for DD.

It feels like a dejavu because I think I have answered someone's question just like this before.

And as for handling on daily driver form...you won't get a "big" upgrade from Evo at all. Rather, evo feels more connected at least in GSR form. Also ride is bit softer in GTR due to the suspension mode and the seat. I have both GSR and MR and ride on these babies are really bad for my back. GTR is surprisingly softer and can firm it up with touch of button.

Maintenance wise..be prepare to pay big money on tires. Although Evo's stock tire cost a lot, you do have option to put All season for pretty reasonable price. But with GTR you have to shall out tires on 20 inches.. and you won't find many makers. I haven't driven GTR out in snow with snow tires but many owners praised that it is very very good.

There are couple of owners who DD it and regret it every since. Most of them will argue that it will cost fortune to pay those bills. You also have to think about POS at 12k miles, 24k and 36k. It is basically free but after that miles you have to pay another 1k+ for each inspections. And at some point you may have to pay for the transmission fluid, and they cost about 500-800 depends on where you get it and who changes it.

For brakes, if you take it to the dealership it's about 10k..for rotors and pads. If you supply your own you will spend about $3k-5k for aftermarket parts for rotors and pads. Other than that there isn't "much" needed and tires about 2500-3000 for winter tires and summer tires about the same but it will last you 10k-12k miles if you baby it.

If there is a transmission problem DCT is about 20k....well Evo MR is about 10k it seems like...

But would I own for DD? Yes I would..but I don't want to spend that much money to just DD it. As for me, driving on weekend is fine for me. But I think EVO is absolute blast for DD.

Oh and you can't quite speed with GTR everyday because you will be cop's favorite target. And you won't be able to park anywhere because everyone will come out and take pictures of your car. You will feel really frustrated because bunch of teens will take pictures of your car while tailgating you... It is very peaceful driving Evo for me..except for kids wanting to race me. :dancebanana:

·
[Rally Driving Madman]
2,500 Posts
I personally think the evo is not the best car in the world. Maybe in USA but not the world.

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Buy a vayron I love spending other peoples moneuy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What are you using the car for that the lack of horsepower is becoming an issue? 0-60 times? Do you drag race? Auto X? Track?
I sense the lack of power mostly for 0-60 times and the track. I understand that the running costs are much higher for GTR, I don't think that should be a problem. The cost of the car itself might be 3 times higher, but the car itself is on completely different class and level.

It is pretty bad idea to have GTR as daily and trust me on that. Unless you have boat load of cash around I would say just keep the Evo for DD.
There are couple of owners who DD it and regret it every since.
First congrats on the 2012 model. But why would you say that it is a bad idea to make it a DD? I'm thinking of replacing my Evo with the GTR, and not to have both. Hence I'm doing a research now to see if it is worth the investment. As for the maintenance costs, just like you said, in the beginning it is covered by the warranty/dealership, and after that, I'd just give it to my trusted mechanic; this will drastically bring the unit/labour costs down. My main concern is an all-around satisfaction: all-season handling, safety, reliability, comfort (ride as well as grocery shopping experience for example), and well speed of course, but it is something i will not worry about with the GTR. I could not care less about fuel economy since performance is what I'm after.

But you also mentioned other issues of having a flashy car that I have overlooked. I think I might enjoy the extra attention, if it's a positive one. But you always see sick fucks who can't afford what you're driving and do stupid shit out of envy: like scratch the car, spray paint on it or w/e. Usually this would not be a problem since I live in a gated community and my underground parking at work is monitored by a security guy. But all other times when you do shopping for instance, you always leave a car on a public parking lot...

Another argument against tuning the Evo is that it first obviously voids the warranty and will be hard to sell after; and second by putting the extra pressure on the engine, the reliability drops, forcing you to do the maintenance more frequently and most of the cases more costly. It just feels like every upgrade I do to the Evo, the GTR already has... suspension, ventilated rotors, wider wheels, twin turbo on an already bigger engine...

The way I look at it is that if GTR handles the same (if not better) in the snow, I am ready to sacrifice some minor inconveniences of making it my DD, compared to the sheer joy it shall bring.

·
Registered
666 Posts
These guys are a little biased but the points they make are true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwxZmFZjYqE

I posted this video on my facebook a few days ago and got a TON of comments. Im military and know a lot of people all over the world, most of the people in America agreed but friends overseas dont agree at all. Everybody has their own opinions and naming "the best car in the world" will get a lot of attention, both good and bad.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
_MD_

get a Test pipe and get EcuTek with a re-map and you will think different about the evo x.

The GTR is a nice car, and probably my next after Im fed up with my X. Unless they bring out an Evo 11!! :shades:

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I think the GTR is overkill for a daily driver. How many $100k cars do you see on the road? The Evo gets enough attention, I cant imagine how much attention a GTR would get. If I had the money for a GTR I would spend a few grand and get a cheap civic. Something I can take to the mall that can get dinged up and it wont matter.
Do you go to the track at all? To me having a GTR and not going to the track several times a year is a waste. Like keeping a lion in a cage.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I think the GTR is overkill for a daily driver. How many $100k cars do you see on the road? The Evo gets enough attention, I cant imagine how much attention a GTR would get. If I had the money for a GTR I would spend a few grand and get a cheap civic. Something I can take to the mall that can get dinged up and it wont matter.
Do you go to the track at all? To me having a GTR and not going to the track several times a year is a waste. Like keeping a lion in a cage.
:amen::thumbup:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Then again, going to the track with a GTR also = $$$$$. I've heard Nissan also doesn't warranty tracked cars.

If all you care about in the world is 0-60 times, and track times, and you have the cash to burn, GTR is the best choice hands down. It's winter abilities are fine, especially with snow tires - only negative is it doesn't have the ground clearance of an Evo.

Again, I suggest going on to the gtr forums ( www.nagtroc.org ) and asking more questions there.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The X may be the best car for you based on the specifications you provided, but it's certainly not the best all-around car because that car does not exist. There are too many variables personal to the individual asking the question. Some people prefer trackability from a purist standpoint, thus RWD without all the fancy assists. Some people want comfort and power while driving around town, and may choose a Benz. Others, such as myself, want a reliable and powerful car without having to mod it to death, which is why I am looking at Z06's. It's all up to personal preferences. The perfect car is a myth.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Two years later I think this thread deserves a resurrection.
The evo x is on its 7th model year with basically no upgrades. Whereas other sports cars add power or features the X has not changed much since 2008. And at 291 hp and 300 ftlbs of torque its beginning to fall behind. The interior materials are still econobox and the fucking steering wheel still doesn't telescope. However the price of a base Gsr has steadily increased over that time. A fairly basically equipped gsr can start knockingon the 40k club. And a fully equipped MR which doesn't feel fully equipped for the price is closer to the 45k range in the US.
I'm starting to feel the Evo has begun to severly lose its edge in the marketplace. For similiar price American cars are whooping our asses on the track, european cars in luxury and design and other japanese manufacturers showing that speed shouldn't compromise comfort.
Im starting to feel as if the Evo x has lost its performance edge and gift of gab it once had. How is it that cars only a few thousand more can make the Evo X look like a lost cause?

I want to hear what the good fellas at Evo X forums feel about our the Evo x and its correspondence to todays market?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Two years later I think this thread deserves a resurrection.
The evo x is on its 7th model year with basically no upgrades. Whereas other sports cars add power or features the X has not changed much since 2008. And at 291 hp and 300 ftlbs of torque its beginning to fall behind. The interior materials are still econobox and the fucking steering wheel still doesn't telescope. However the price of a base Gsr has steadily increased over that time. A fairly basically equipped gsr can start knockingon the 40k club. And a fully equipped MR which doesn't feel fully equipped for the price is closer to the 45k range in the US.
I'm starting to feel the Evo has begun to severly lose its edge in the marketplace. For similiar price American cars are whooping our asses on the track, european cars in luxury and design and other japanese manufacturers showing that speed shouldn't compromise comfort.
Im starting to feel as if the Evo x has lost its performance edge and gift of gab it once had. How is it that cars only a few thousand more can make the Evo X look like a lost cause?

I want to hear what the good fellas at Evo X forums feel about our the Evo x and its correspondence to todays market?
I'm in total agreement. I just spent the last 8 months with a brand new X and was very unimpressed. I just gave it to BMW for partial payment toward an X5 twin turbo V8. Also going back to Subaru.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.