Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm really torn between getting the 5MT or waiting for the MR with SST. I want to be able to lightly mod my car, ie - exhaust, intake, FMIC, IC piping, BC, and a few cosmetic things, but I'm I worried that if I get the SST it will somehow break and I'll be stuck having to pay big $ for a new transmission. I don't think I would do much more than this. I'm not really a hard core quarter-miler, but I do like to do the occasional back-country road spirited drive.

Currently I have a 5MT Evo IX and I don't mind it, but the SST is really appealing to me due to my daily commute. I often spend close to 3 hours per day in my car driving in stop and go traffic. The added gear would also help save on gas during many of the longer 200+ mile trips I make during the summers. Also saves on the leg cramps from having to clutch constantly.

I know that HKS has an Evo X w/ SST making 380ps, but I am just wondering if anyone else in Japan is modding their SST Evos?

Were there more modded Evo X's at TAS with 5MT or SST? I only ask this because 5MT and SST is available in Japan, and if the after market parts makers are choosing 5MT over SST, there must be a reason.

·
Administrator
24,218 Posts
the aftermarketers are choosing 5MT over SST for a few reasons...

1-It's cheaper

2-It's actually available in the US

3-It's more common...they'll sell more of them

4-It's less limited

That's not to say that the mods won't work on either, but that's probably their reasoning for using the 5MT.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the aftermarketers are choosing 5MT over SST for a few reasons...

1-It's cheaper

2-It's actually available in the US

3-It's more common...they'll sell more of them

4-It's less limited

That's not to say that the mods won't work on either, but that's probably their reasoning for using the 5MT.

I am really tempted to get a PB GSR w/ SSS and Nav. I would be switching out the suspension and wheels in the future anyways. So there would only be a few slight differences from this point other than 5MT versus SST.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i initially wanted an MR, but the more i really REALLY think about it, the 5 speed is better for me for a few reasons.

1. of course, its cheaper.
2. the MR has a lot of crap i DO NOT WANT. the only reason id be going for it is for the sst transmission.
3. will the sst be as fun to drive as a 5 speed? on my gsr test drive i actually really enjoyed driving the car. i was trying to imagine shifting w/o the clutch and with paddles, and it almost seems like cheating. not saying it is by any means, but i sorta feel (personally) that it is taking away from what driving a sports car is.

if i was the type that wanted a loaded up with extras and goodies and features kinda guy, the MR would be right up my ally. however, i like a stripped down car with only what i want, and the way mitsu does it you have to buy "packages" which i really really hate.

·
Banned
283 Posts
I just hate the fact that the gsr dosent come with leather seats like the MR. They feel and look so much better. And well another thing is the front chrome/w grayish painted grill.. but I hope aftermarket can fix that. other than that Im thinking of getting a Phantom lack GSR and get the bbs wheels later on

·
Registered
11 Posts
3. will the sst be as fun to drive as a 5 speed? on my gsr test drive i actually really enjoyed driving the car. i was trying to imagine shifting w/o the clutch and with paddles, and it almost seems like cheating. not saying it is by any means, but i sorta feel (personally) that it is taking away from what driving a sports car is.

obviously you do not know what the SST is and how it works. it is basically the mitsu version of the VW/Audi DSG which they have used in their rally cars for a long time. granted not this advanced. I currently own a 06 vw GTI with DSG (apr stage 2 tuned) and well it is just as if not more fun to drive than the 6mt that the GTI comes in. so in hoping Mitsu will come thru like VW did and create a superior product.

no DSG is not an automatic neither is SST.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
I find that a lot of people assumes that the SST < 5MT without even driving it. I find that people coming from a DSG car really appreciates this kind of transmission, so it shouldn't be bad. I think most will be pleasantly surprised once they test drive a MR.

·
Registered
68 Posts
im well aware of what it is. to me you are taking out the clutch, you are taking out some of the fun. i emphasize, TO ME. i know some will love it, and honestly it would be great for me as i wanted something i could put in auto and the wife could drive it if need be, then i use it as a standard car.

i personally feel that if i am missing a clutch, i will be missing out on some of the fun.

obviously you do not know what the SST is and how it works. it is basically the mitsu version of the VW/Audi DSG which they have used in their rally cars for a long time. granted not this advanced. I currently own a 06 vw GTI with DSG (apr stage 2 tuned) and well it is just as if not more fun to drive than the 6mt that the GTI comes in. so in hoping Mitsu will come thru like VW did and create a superior product.

no DSG is not an automatic neither is SST.

·
Registered
11 Posts
im well aware of what it is. to me you are taking out the clutch, you are taking out some of the fun. i emphasize, TO ME. i know some will love it, and honestly it would be great for me as i wanted something i could put in auto and the wife could drive it if need be, then i use it as a standard car.

i personally feel that if i am missing a clutch, i will be missing out on some of the fun.

no offense ment in my post.

also, i think you mean the "Clutch Pedal" the SST and DSG actually have 2 wet clutches that 1 for even gears and the other for odd gears and reverse i believe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.