Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok drove the new Evo GSR today! I was impressed to say the least! I have a new 2012 Sti on order but looks like I'm jumping ship. I love the Recaros and the car in general. I'm also tired of reading the ring land stories on the Sti. I'm doing the right thing right?

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A couple things that are making my decision to go w/ the Evo is:

1. The 4 door sedan Sti in 2012 has some ugly wheels!
2. No Recaro seats in the Sti
3. The Sti is ordered and I've been reading horror stories on the delivery dates. No updates from my dealer , no vin # , etc. It's been a month since I ordered it!
4. The EVO is in stock and they will take a Jeep I have in trade. A good price too!

Also the service manager has a new Evo w/ some mods and he's a cool guy. Looks like my mind is made up. By the way I'm 47 years old - haha! Thanks for anything you guy's can tell me about the Evo!

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's the car!

Attachments

· Registered
247 Posts
So what is a good price? I've been looking on-line but I know somebody can tell me how much to come off the sticker. $ 35,600 is what's on the sticker.

Good choice! Glad to see we didn't lose you to a Corvette crisis! (Sorry Chevy, I love you too, boo <3)
No worries as I'm not a Corvette guy. 4 banger and AWD is the only way to go!

· Registered
9,666 Posts
I will say one thing and one thing only. If you care or need a warranty then stay with the STI or another car. The Evo will have it all denied. SOA is much more consumer oriented than Mitsu. Just an FYI.
And it doesn't depend on dealer because at a certain $ amount all warranty repairs must be approved by corp.
If not then buy the Evo X, it's a great all 'round car.

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will say one thing and one thing only. If you care or need a warranty then stay with the STI or another car. The Evo will have it all denied. SOA is much more consumer oriented than Mitsu. Just an FYI.
And it doesn't depend on dealer because at a certain $ amount all warranty repairs must be approved by corp.
I plan on leaving it stock. What are the main things that have been an issue?

· Cunning Linguist
12,473 Posts
I plan on leaving it stock. What are the main things that have been an issue?
Sitting in it.

Breathing in it.

Touching the emergency brake.

And, for God's sake, never start it! Never ever start it!

· Registered
3,043 Posts
I'd pay 32,500 for that sticker. Maybe less. At most pay invoice. Also, I'd encourage you to get the sound package. The regular one sucks biz-alls.

· Registered
30 Posts
Go EVO, this coming from a former STI owner. The Evo seems more technically advanced better ride/handling better looking inside and out. The STI felt more aggressive due to the gearing (6 spd) and being a little lighter but I think the EVO is a better all around car for the money.

· Registered
3,470 Posts
To be fair, it depends on whether (and how much) the car is modded and (though I hate to say this) the impression the dealership gets from the owner (like age, general demeanor, etc). Even if Mitsu has to approve the repair, the still talk to the service mgr and that svc manager has some sway in the decision based on what info he provides to corporate. I know that's not the whole story, but it's not fair to say that all warranty work over a certain amount is automatically denied. Hell, I got my Turbo covered under warranty when the car had 58k on the clock. it was stock and not abused, therefore was covered once they sorted out that the turbo is covered under the powertrain warranty. If you flash a new tune and blow your motor, yeah, it's not gonna be covered. if you launch the car twice a day and bust open your tcase or rear diff, not gonna be covered, etc, etc.

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To be fair, it depends on whether (and how much) the car is modded and (though I hate to say this) the impression the dealership gets from the owner (like age, general demeanor, etc). Even if Mitsu has to approve the repair, the still talk to the service mgr and that svc manager has some sway in the decision based on what info he provides to corporate. I know that's not the whole story, but it's not fair to say that all warranty work over a certain amount is automatically denied. Hell, I got my Turbo covered under warranty when the car had 58k on the clock. it was stock and not abused, therefore was covered once they sorted out that the turbo is covered under the powertrain warranty. If you flash a new tune and blow your motor, yeah, it's not gonna be covered. if you launch the car twice a day and bust open your tcase or rear diff, not gonna be covered, etc, etc.
That makes sense. The dealer has been awesome to work with and I'm going back tomorrow to see the svc manager. I will track the car some but plan on leaving it stock for now. I sold my 05 Sti in 07 and it had 3,000 miles on it. It'll stay in the garage a bunch! Thanks for the input.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.