Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Just bought by 2014 EVO X GSR, a few questions I need to ask

5K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  matty08x 
#1 ·
Yo guys, earlier today I picked up my brand new EVO X. This is my first thread and I am still not too knowledgeable about this car. I have plans to make performance upgrades in the near future. My first step would be an aftermarket intake (AEM most likely), along with a turboback exhaust(possibly UR or AMS) and then a COBB AP tune. Also, if i feel the need to possibly some new, wider summer tires. Im just looking for some pointers on how i should go about doing this and im on somewhat of a tight budget so if you guys have recommendations of cheaper products to use (quality is still my main concern).

Again, this is my first thread so please no flaming just constructive criticism.

#2 ·
Welcome and congrats on the purchase! I was in the same boat as you last year. There are tons of great threads offering ideas on how to go about modding your car. Try and predict what your end product will be to prevent having to upgrade again in the future. Another great company to add to your list is ETS for intake, exhaust, etc. great customer service and presence on the forums. I would wait on wheels/tires as the stock enkeis/advans are pretty good for summer, though the tires will only last you 10-15K if you're lucky.

#3 ·
Appreciate it! This car is now my daily driver so nothing extreme, I want it to be fun to cruise in but has a good bit of power when I punch it, which is why im thinking stage 1 or 2 tune. I was only considering wider tires after these power upgrades i thought it might need them to maintain good traction. But i could be wrong.

#6 · (Edited)
An intake and OTS cobb tune isn't going to net you much power. For bolt on power the 3 best power mods are 3port ebcs, cat delete and pro tune. After that you're looking at minor things like uicp, fmic, cbe sri/cai. Either way get a pro tune if you want to maximize the power you get from your parts.

Just google "evo x bolt ons" there are hundreds of threads that go over build paths and part quality, as for pricing there are plenty of vendors on here that you get you what you need for a good price. Treat them with respect and they'll hook you up.

#7 ·
Welcome,

FYI theres no more COBB ACCESSPORT TUNE - nowadays accessport is used as memory card and OBII reader.

#9 ·
#10 ·
The biggest advice I can give is to not cheap out on parts.

If you can afford parts a,b,c from a middle of the road company or part "a" from 1 company... Buy part "a" and move up from there.

Some parts don't matter (intercooler piping is one that comes to mind) as anyone can bend a hunk of metal.

With exhausts, manifolds, downpipes, turbos, intercoolers, intakes and your tune try to stick with the best you can afford at a reasonable budget. There are some white knights that are less expensive on the market but as a general rule of thumb stay away from eBay and try to work with the vendors on this site. Most if not all the vendors here have a passion for the platform and know what parts you really need to make the most of your car.

You're only a few hours away from AMS who are basically the holly grail of tuning and parts so you're in good hands there.

#23 ·
That was a wrong assumption on my part. Seeing how big they are I didn't expect that. So MORE INFO to use while deciding! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.