Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I begin, I have done some research and all, so I got a basic understanding of everything. I realize the Evo isn't a top speeder and unless you got DEEP pockets, no way to get a 6spd, but those two aside, no matter what else I notice, like or look at, I always get drawn back to the Evo, so let me ask some questions I have on my mind.

1. If I get on the highway and it's one of those days where you just wanna dip into 100+ for a sec or two from 65-70, does it get there easily or naw (Don't misunderstand, I mean once in a blue moon, I usually do 70-75mph)

2. How noisy is it really, I can't remember what I was gonna for two originally, but assuming I get base model, how noisy would it be in all honesty (Really doesn't matter too much, I can always crank the Radio for that)

3. Unless I order it, I don't see any GSR's with Navi, it isn't to hard to replace the base head with a Double DIN right? Also

4. I wouldn't aim to raise the boost until I reinforce the engine, what mods would be necessary for reinforcement before raising it a bit would be safe

5. At what point of tuning would it be safe to lower the gearing without suffering too much, or would it be better to get a turbo that kicks in earlier for that (Cause atm, I see it as a DD/Street car)

Just some stuff I've been wondering, please don't flame me, I know I could search, but I figure why not get the few questions I got on one page, ya know

Thanks for taking a look and hopefully replying (And before ya ask, it would be my first tuner)

-Mike

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
1. If I get on the highway and it's one of those days where you just wanna dip into 100+ for a sec or two from 65-70, does it get there easily or naw (Don't misunderstand, I mean once in a blue moon, I usually do 70-75mph) Kind of.. yeah if you're going 65-70 youll want to drop to 4th and it will get to 100 "fast". If you want to keep climbing, it begins to accelerate alot slower. I have forgotten what "fast" is though, because i'm so used to it:(

2. How noisy is it really, I can't remember what I was gonna for two originally, but assuming I get base model, how noisy would it be in all honesty (Really doesn't matter too much, I can always crank the Radio for that) Stock exhaust? It begins to drone at around 4000rpm, 60 in 5th is like around 3000rpm though - and its quiet at this point. Aftermarket exhaust its still gonna drone at 4000rpm regardless of what others say.

4. I wouldn't aim to raise the boost until I reinforce the engine, what mods would be necessary for reinforcement before raising it a bit would be safe? Stock boost is 20-ish psi. It is considered "safe" to run 24-25lbs stock block, continuously for years. The tune is what will prevent your motor from taking a shit. Find a very reputable tuner in your area who has years of experience with this platform and you should be ok. One of the main things to worry about when raising the boost is the oem uicp - its rubber and will probably pop right off. Mine did stock boost levels. Invest in an aftermarket upper pipe - plenty of them out there, pick whatever one looks most appealing to you. Good first mod.

5. At what point of tuning would it be safe to lower the gearing without suffering too much, or would it be better to get a turbo that kicks in earlier for that (Cause atm, I see it as a DD/Street car) Get different turbo.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I remember Akuma when they use to be in Morganville (By my gym), and while I haven't been to there new location, It's not much of a trip for me

So whats the difference between the shops btw? Just curious

·
Registered
223 Posts
I remember Akuma when they use to be in Morganville (By my gym), and while I haven't been to there new location, It's not much of a trip for me

So whats the difference between the shops btw? Just curious
Akuma's new shop is a lot bigger than their old one.Everything is very neat and clean. You should go check it out. Oh and when i was there yesterday he installed a new sound system in the shop ha ha.
As for Iveytune, I had my clutch and flywheel installed there a couple years ago....all i can say is they work FAST, They had it finished in 3 hours. Oh and never had any issues with it btw, good clean work.
I feel like both these places in my experiences have been top notch. But i am sort of biased towards Akuma, i'm just much more comfortable there when i wait, a lot of funny guys working in that place.

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
Ivey tune is the place to go for you. Not to mention they are a supporting vendor here. Support you own and not the outsiders!

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
Yeah Dino can hook you up. Akama isn't even a merchant in this board. Support our supporting vendors

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I knew exactly what ya meant

What should i pay attention to on a test drive btw, to really appreciate the car and experience the most out of it
If your buying used look for the same things you would look for in any used car. Signs of abuse, worn our suspension, that sort of thing. See if there is a big parking lot near your dealer so you can see the handling first hand. With out doing that you wont see what the big deal is. :shades: The power stock isnt all that much to get excited about, but the gains from just a intake, exhaust and tune are.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know I'm bringing back an old thread, but I just thought of something, assuming I don't have a big budget to go crazy with stuff (like really building it up, bolt ons and chip budget basically), what could I be looking to do before I get to the point where it's basically "Now ya build"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.