Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I work at a hospital and parked my car a little too close to the antenna near one of the buildings and I suppose this caused my key fob to go out of wack. :wtfsign:

I returned at home and proceeded to attempt to reprogram this busted key using the instructions in the manual. I can't seem to get it to work; After the first couple steps, after releasing the buttons, it says that the car should lock and unlock as a sign of the programming mode of the car being enabled. I can't get this to happen, which means that I'm not able to program the key that stopped functioning.

I'm following the instructions perfectly and it isn't working. Has anyone done this yet? Is there a "trick" to it? If anyone has any help or tips, please let me know! :tumbleweed:

·
Registered
375 Posts
My FAST key went out twice. The first time they reprogrammed it at the dealership, and it gave them a fit. The second time, they just replaced it. No problems since.

Do you have two fobs? does one work, and not the other? Is this the FAST key, or old school fob?

·
Registered
939 Posts
I couldn't get the fast-key system here. Could it be the battery in the remote itself dying that's giving you these problems?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, thanks for the replies. I indeed have FAST Keys for my 08 Evo. This is actually the second time that they have gone out. The first time it was both fobs, and I had to take them to the dealer to get programmed. I'm trying to do this problem myself since I still have one fob operational.

I don't believe it's the battery because the remote still lights up as if it was new when the buttons are pressed. I've also only had the car for about a month. I really don't want to go back to my dealer here if I really can avoid it; they're jerks.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Make them replace it

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey, thanks for the replies. I indeed have FAST Keys for my 08 Evo. This is actually the second time that they have gone out. The first time it was both fobs, and I had to take them to the dealer to get programmed. I'm trying to do this problem myself since I still have one fob operational.

I don't believe it's the battery because the remote still lights up as if it was new when the buttons are pressed. I've also only had the car for about a month. I really don't want to go back to my dealer here if I really can avoid it; they're jerks.
If they are jerking you around let them know right now that you are not going to take any Sh*t off them. Tell them I gave you 30K for this car and your going to fix it with a damn smile on your face.:amen:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I really wanted a FAST key but I'm kinda glad I didn't get it now. Last thing I want is to be stranded some where because the key doesn't work and I'm not carrying the second one.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I really wanted a FAST key but I'm kinda glad I didn't get it now. Last thing I want is to be stranded some where because the key doesn't work and I'm not carrying the second one.
fast key has built in regular key for backup

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Nice, I guess it's not bad then.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If they are jerking you around let them know right now that you are not going to take any Sh*t off them. Tell them I gave you 30K for this car and your going to fix it with a damn smile on your face.:amen:
I really don't want to deal with them anymore. It's a long story, but I've complained to Mitsubishi Motors Corporate (who did nothing), and I'm about to file a complaint to the BBB. I've never had a worse experience in any consumer/retail relation ever. This is Mitsubishi of Napleton, Illinois, btw. Stay FAR, FAR away!

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
The FOBs should be under warrentee - dealers should be able to sort you out.

Note. Along with your fast key(s) you should have also received a standard key with a black plastic head ( looks like a standard car key) this key is actually got a electronic ID similar to your FOB recognized by the cars ignition. You should be able to start with this key also.

·
Registered
375 Posts
The FOBs should be under warrentee - dealers should be able to sort you out.

Note. Along with your fast key(s) you should have also received a standard key with a black plastic head ( looks like a standard car key) this key is actually got a electronic ID similar to your FOB recognized by the cars ignition. You should be able to start with this key also.
Its actually an insert into the fast key, and is completely metal (no chip). To start the car with the metal key you have to remove it from the FAST key, turn it around so that the "handle" of the metal key is pointed away from you, and insert the "handle" of the metal key back into the FAST key. Then insert the metal key, using the FAST key as the handle, into the ignition, then turn the ignition over. This is the only way to start the FAST key equipped cars if the normal FAST key method is not functioning.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Its actually an insert into the fast key, and is completely metal (no chip). To start the car with the metal key you have to remove it from the FAST key, turn it around so that the "handle" of the metal key is pointed away from you, and insert the "handle" of the metal key back into the FAST key. Then insert the metal key, using the FAST key as the handle, into the ignition, then turn the ignition over. This is the only way to start the FAST key equipped cars if the normal FAST key method is not functioning.
There is an additional key to that one. :) thats the key Im talking about. Ad you rightly pointed out The FOB (or SOB) comes with an all metal key contained in the plastic.

The one I'm referring to is an addition standard key all together. For me it came seperatley and attached to my alarm disabling keys.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I found this looking through the mitsu tech info site.

SUBJECT:​
F.A.S.T. KEY DOES NOT FUNCTION IN KEYLESS OPERATION SYSTEM (K.O.S.) MODE
No: TSB-08-42A-013
DATE: July, 2008
MODEL: See Below,
CIRCULATE TO:​
[ ] GENERAL MANAGER​
[ X ] PARTS MANAGER​
[ X ] TECHNICIAN​
[ X ] SERVICE ADVISOR​
[ X ] SERVICE MANAGER​
[ X ] WARRANTY PROCESSOR​
[] SALES MANAGER​
PURPOSE

Some customers of affected vehicles may complain they are unable to operate the Keyless Operation System (K.O.S.) using the F.A.S.T. key feature. The F.A.S.T. key (fob) may have lost its programming due to data in its memory being erased by electrical interference from a device such as a mobile phone. This can occur if the two devices are kept in close proximity to each other.
Should you confirm the condition, replace both of the customer's F.A.S.T. keys with improved parts that will reduce the possibility of accidental erasure of coded data due to electrical interference.
AFFECTED VEHICLE(S)

2008 Outlander
2008-09 Lancer
2008 Lancer Evolution
Affected vehicles built prior to May, 2008.
REPAIR PROCEDURE

The following conditions must be confirmed in an environment that is free from interference from electronic accessories, mobile phones, or facilities emitting strong electrical signals that could affect K.O.S. communication.
  • You are unable to turn the ignition knob from the "Lock" position. Also, "Missing Key" is displayed on the MID screen when trying to turn the ignition knob.
  • Generally, no DTCs will be stored in the PCM, however, DTC B1A08, B1A09, B1A0A or B1A0B may be stored in some occasions. If DTCs other than these are stored in PCM memory, do not continue with this TSB. Diagnose and repair per the service manual.
Replace the F.A.S.T. keys with an improved part if your evaluation confirms BOTH of these conditions. Refer to the service manual or the AESP (Advanced Electrical Service Procedures) study manual and use the MUT-III to register the new F.A.S.T. keys to the vehicle. Remember to register RKE functions for the new keys as well.
Customers should be reminded that the emergency key stored in the F.A.S.T. key can be used to start the vehicle when the K.O.S. system is not functioning. Dealers should advise customers to to review their owner's manual for instructions to prevent unnecessary towing in the future. See below.

PART INFORMATION

Use the Genuine Mitsubishi Parts listed below.
Part # Description Quantity
8637A228: Key, Keyless Operation Blank - Lancer/Lancer Evolution: 2
8637A316: Key, Keyless Operation Blank - Outlander: 2

!!IMPORTANT!! Replacement F.A.S.T. key blanks DO NOT include the emergency key. Transfer the customer's emergency keys to the new F.A.S.T. keys.
WARRANTY INFORMATION

This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization to repair. Repairs should be performed on a complaint basis only. If an affected vehicle is observed with the described condition, diagnose the condition, repair as described in this bulletin and submit a normal warranty claim using the following information.
Replacement of Two (2) F.A.S.T. Keys
Nature Code: 02A​
Cause Code: 270​
Labor Operation No. 42871710​
Time Allowance: 0.3 hr.​
Warranty Coverage: 5 years / 60,000 miles, New Vehicle Limited Warranty​
Special Warranty Information: Normal warranty procedures apply.​
NOTE: This condition will only occur when the F.A.S.T. key has been in the close proximity of certain devices that emit strong electrical signals. DO NOT replace the transmitter unless the conditions outlined in the Repair Procedure can be confirmed. Warranty claims for the replacement of F.A.S.T. keys that are determined to be "No Fault Found" are subject to chargeback.

·
Registered
363 Posts
So, were there ever any real fixes to this problem other then going to the dealership? I too have had issues with my dealership and don't want to give them any more business than I have to. Granted, this is covered by warranty, but I really hate being around those guys. I had one of my FAST's go out. And from what I read in the manual, you need 2 operational FAST keys in order to reprogram a BLANK one.

Anyone with a fix, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So weird story for me on this subject. I got off work alittle late, walk up to the car and grab the door handle. Nothing happens. Not knowing about using the valet key with the key fob I have a friend drive me home and get my spare fast key. Come back to the car and still nothing. So I decide that Im gonna have to get it towed first thing in the morning.

So I walk into my workspace (BTW I work on a ship), get on EVOXFORUMS and read on here about how to properly start the car using the emergency key.
I drive home (20 mins) and put the fast key adapter on the ignition. All of a sudden it works like nothing was ever wrong. Same with the spare. WTF?!?!?!?!
I plan on taking it to the dealer for them to see if something is wrong with the computer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.