Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an odd noise that only knocks loud enough for the ear at about 5-10mph and only in 1st or second gear. I'd been thinking perhaps a rod knock in its infancy, but I'm not sure where it's coming from. Out of warranty (miles, not to mention the TBE at 16,000 miles) so I'm loathe to take it to a stealership where I know they've got a limited volume of Evo's to build their own experience from.

I've not read what the symptoms of the failing AYC pump are, so I'm curious if my noise is possibly not the engine, but something else related to the drivetrain.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Pump can make a pulsating ticking noise, put pretty loud. Only happens when the pump energizes, so when starting and anytime the ACD or AYC. Best way to check is to put it in Snow mode and accel from 2nd to 3rd with lots of throttle. Put the SAWC icon up and if the clicking coincides with the middle ACD bars going then it' s a pump issue.

Usually throws codes.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'll check them both out. After driving it a bit more today, it seems to be happening more often when going up hill (under very tiny torque, but torque all the same) and more with wheels turned. The former suggestion seems pretty suspicious -- I'm notorious for abusing MMs on manual transmissions even on low power cars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.