Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Vendor
525 Posts
Kozmic Motorsports K27 EvoX Catch Can - This is the same kit that used to be called the SSP Texas Race Series Catch Can kit.

Fitment: 2008+ EvoX
(Please note there are 2 different versions of the kit, depending on your valve cover, ie plastic or aluminum. Please state which valve cover you have when ordering)

Many overlook the need for a VENTED, Large Hose catch can system in the quest for their HP achievements. We wanted to take a first hand approach towards creating a unique solution for the EvoX community. The Catch Can kit was inspired and developed from in house R&D, track testing, and numerous road and drag racing victories. This part was NOT manufactured for the "Park Hard, Show Car" crowd, it was 100% developed for the serious racing enthusiast who appreciates function over form. If you're looking to prolong the life of your motor, add power, and not brake the bank in the process.......look no further!

Q: Why Do I need a Catch Can? What does it Really Do?
A: All motors suffer from "piston blow-by" during a combustion event in the cylinder. Forced Induction (turbo, supercharger,etc) see a very tremendous amount of blow by due to the fact you are creating a positive charge entering the cylinder and in turn making a bigger "boom". While Naturally Aspirated motors can see gains from a proper ventilation system, forced inductions cars will see an extreme gain comparatively.

Q: What am I actually gaining from venting the crankcase with the catch can?
A: Positive pressure in the crankcase creates pressure on your pistons as they are coming down, you will notice in the charts below that spool and low end (even in a stock turbo situation) was improved. The main reason for purchasing this kit is not HP gains, that is the bonus. What you can expect from this kit and venting the engine properly is better oil longevity, your oil will not break down as fast, as the catch can is catching alot of the contaminates and gasses that break down your oil (leading to longer bearing/motor life). Another positive side to venting the crankcase, especially on the EvoXs is that your seals/gaskets will hold up longer - Cam seals, rear main seals, crank seals, timing cover sealant, most of these do not go out from age, but from constant changing in pressure and moving so slightly as to change how they ride on the cams/crank - causing them to leak in most cases after time.

Q: Why is no one else running a kit setup like this?
A: "We are not out to re-invent the wheel, we just want it to turn faster" ;). Look at what other communities are doing in the automotive world for catch can systems, and you will find that many run a setup very similar. This is a proven part if manufactured and designed correctly.

MSRP: $399.99

Features:
- Replaces Passenger Side Bumper Support Bracket, easy access for draining.

- 100% Developed, Designed, and Constructed in House

- Genuine Aeroquip Starlite® hose

- 10AN Hose off front of valve cover includes CNC'd Adapter Fitting to replace stock oem screw in fitting on both Plastic and Aluminum valve covers.

- 10AN side of valve cover hose includes CNC'd Press in fitting for aluminum valve covers. Plastic cover owners, we are working on a solution as we speak!

- Recommended for OFF ROAD USE ONLY

Picture:

THE CURRENT KIT IS UTILIZING A BLACK ANODIZED CAN. THESE ARE NO LONGER PURPLE.

-David :godance:

You can order them online here:
http://shop.kozmicmotorsports.com/kozmic_motorsports_k27/k27_breather_catch_can_systems/k27_x_cck/i-786156.aspx

Or Call/Email to purchase as well!

·
Vendor
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
You should include a plug for the hole in the manifold so we don't have to make a trip to the store when installing it.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The manifold requires a half inch cap.

What's funny is I called SSP asking about this earlier but what I wanted to know was is there any way I could get this kit and the driver side light weight replacement that way I don't have a spare passenger mount lying around?

·
Vendor
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You should include a plug for the hole in the manifold so we don't have to make a trip to the store when installing it.
We were including 1/2" high temp silicone caps for a while. However we found that they would break and begin leaking. Unfortunately the easiest solution to pluging the manifold hole while the manifold is installed is still the least elegant: cutting the oem hose, plugging it with a bolt, and clamping it.

The manifold requires a half inch cap.

What's funny is I called SSP asking about this earlier but what I wanted to know was is there any way I could get this kit and the driver side light weight replacement that way I don't have a spare passenger mount lying around?
You can order our drivers side bumper bracket just for this reason. Here is a direct link to the LH bracket on our web site.
http://shop.kozmicmotorsports.com/kozmic_motorsports_k27/k27_lightweight_components/k27_x_lwbb_l/i-580352.aspx

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
We were including 1/2" high temp silicone caps for a while. However we found that they would break and begin leaking. Unfortunately the easiest solution to pluging the manifold hole while the manifold is installed is still the least elegant: cutting the oem hose, plugging it with a bolt, and clamping it.
I see. I have it plugged, but not so sure it's the best way or going to last. Guess I will have to try this bolt thing.

·
Registered
809 Posts

You can order our drivers side bumper bracket just for this reason. Here is a direct link to the LH bracket on our web site.
http://shop.kozmicmotorsports.com/kozmic_motorsports_k27/k27_lightweight_components/k27_x_lwbb_l/i-580352.aspx
Cool beans I'll definitely have to remember to call y'all tomorrow.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Oh I think this is the answer lol..

-10AN side valve cover hose includes Press In Fitting for aluminum valve covers. (Plastic covers do not require this special fitting)

so if I already ordered the kit for a plastic one can I just add ^ this?

·
Vendor
1,270 Posts
Yes. Email us
[email protected]

They are coming off back order this coming week. If yours already shipped, we'll just priority mail it to you.

EK

·
Vendor
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Emailed you guys and tried calling 4 times this
Week but no answer or reply...I'm still waiting
For the longer line for my kozmic catchcan
It shipped the same day as your old one arrived here. Sorry we did not respond sooner as we were at the Texas Mile.

·
Registered
509 Posts
This catch can requires bumper removal correct? If so, do you have instructions or pictures that show where it's mounted?

·
Vendor
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This catch can requires bumper removal correct? If so, do you have instructions or pictures that show where it's mounted?
Yes, you can email us at [email protected] and I can send you the PDf of the install if you like.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I installed this work of art a couple weekends ago. As others have said it's a fairly easy, straight forward install. It took a little over 2 hours, taking my time (and dealing with all those damn clips). The provided instructions were very clear and easy to follow. I did deviate from the instructions a bit by not taking the entire crash beam off. I did what another guy on the forum did and took the passenger headlight out, removed all the passenger side beam bolts and loosened all the bolts on the driver side. This allowed room to slip out the crash beam support and install the catch can in without taking the whole damn beam off. It doesn’t look difficult to take the entire beam off, but it wasn’t completely necessary.

One difference in the instructions was that I didn't have to trim the oil cooler air guide. There was just enough room. However, I had to trim the intercooler air guide a bit as it was hitting the can as I reinstalled the bumper. There may have been a way around this but I couldn't get it to work without trimming. It's completely unnoticeable so I didn't care or hesitate to trim this. Did anyone else have to do this? If not, how’d you get the bumper w/ IC air guide on?

In any case, it's an amazingly well built part and everything supplied in the kit is of the highest quality. It's almost TOO nice to hide behind the bumper but the install location is one of the primary reasons why I bought it. There is already enough jammed in the engine bay, I didn't want to add another thing.

I didn't think to snap a bunch of photos during the install but here are a couple crappy iPhone pictures after it was installed, bumper off.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
You guys mentioned in another thread you were going to use the CNC machine to make a plug for the manifold. Is this still in the works?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts