Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, as to why it is impossible to order a 2012 GSR with Leather and no Sunroof?

Someone please enlighten me?

In fact, the dealerships aren't even considering ordering as a option for me? I am pre-approved with my bank and ready to give my life away for this car!

What's the deal? :wtfsign: Am I asking for too much?

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Mitsubishi has chosen to offer Sunroof and Leather as a package on the GSR. Manufacturers do this for various reasons, such as less possible combinations to worry about, or to maximize profit on the options. The bottom line is that you cannot get one without the other and it has nothing to do with the dealership. Go to the Mitsu site and build a GSR to see for yourself.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mitsubishi has chosen to offer Sunroof and Leather as a package on the GSR. Manufacturers do this for various reasons, such as less possible combinations to worry about, or to maximize profit on the options. The bottom line is that you cannot get one without the other and it has nothing to do with the dealership. Go to the Mitsu site and build a GSR to see for yourself.
^^ This. BUUUT you can do "Mitsubishi's Leather program" which is what I'm considering on my Evo. Basically Mitsubishi outsources the job to Roadwire Leather (that's what my dealer told me at least. YMMV). They take the seats, and 2-3 days later you get your leather seats back. Roadwire covers the work for 3 years/36000 miles.

Roadwire's Homepage
I know a few people on this forum and the other one have done the job, and it looks really good. There's a lot of customizing you can do with the seats as well, so it's a nice option. I'm sure if you search, you can find pictures of their work on here

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
i almost had the dealer install leather separately because i didn't want a sunroof. said he would charge at-cost. doesn't sound like that's a possibility for you though.

edit: lol - i think what nosintake described is exactly what i was saying

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input guys, I could be wrong or crazy for thinking this, but wouldn't the sunroof kind of throw off the balance of the car. That's really what was keeping me from wanting it as a option.

Thanks for the info on the Roadwire site NOSintake, I will definitely look into it.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Coming from someone who had the X with a sunroof and then drove an identical MR without the sunroof, I say without a doubt that you can definately feel the difference even in the city. The thing that also bugged me about the sunroof was that there wasn't a rear dome light. It was dark as heck in the back seats!

Lastly, I wouldn't get Leather for the Evo, I've sat in one that had it and the seats are softer and slippery. At most, I would recommend you getting the alcantra option if you really want leather. I'm happy with cloth now :)

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
The same question I asked the dealer, why can't i get the gsr with bilstein/eibach suspension like the MR. They are building my evo, how hard is it to put one suspension instead of the other......
You guys need to understand a couple of things:
1. The dealership doesn't build the car
2. Manufacturers have to control the complexity of their production line, as well as protect their profit margins. As a result, they will bundle certain options together (like Sunroof&Leather or only having the Bilsteins on the MR). If they allowed any combination of options on these cars, it would add complexity and cost to their production process. Also, options are highly profitable, so it makes sense from a business standpoint to offer them in packages. On the example of sunroof and leather. That package is priced at $1800. Suppose it costs Mitsu $900 for the leather and $200 for the sunroof. That's $700 profit. Now if they offered leather separately for a price of maybe $1000, they'd only get a $100 profit from that option. Most car manufacturs bundle options together like this to ensure that they make a profit on the cars they sell, while still keeping the base price competitive within their segments.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Getting just leather seats isn't cheap post-factory. You're looking into the ballpark of a little less than the SL package. I just got a quote from my dealer and I'm debating if it's really worth it at this point...smh

·
Registered
255 Posts
I went through the same thing not too long ago on my '11. Ended up going with it and am very happy with the way the interior looks and feels. Sunroof is fun to have, no issues there other than the weight. I just pulled almost 50lbs of the stock spare tire and other stuff out of the trunk and called it even.

If I remember right, which I may not, their was some other differences in the interior... although minor.. I want to say there is some cosmetic difference in the console or something.. might be wrong, don't remember now as I ordered my '11 a couple years back.

fyi, if you go leather they change out the roof to steel instead of aluminum.

Anyway, if I were to do it again I wouldn't change a thing. I love the way it looks and feels on the inside.

·
Registered
255 Posts
have you ever tracked yours? I hear the leather isn't fun for track days... any truth?
No, but I would agree. I guess it depends on how often you're going.. if you're going every month you probably don't want the extra weight and leather, if it's something you do a couple times a year..it wouldn't be a big deal. They are bolstered well. Some of this probably depends on driver weight too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.