Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Grumpy young man
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i know there are a lot of people who sell their cars and still keep coming back to this site or those who get another car or truck. i also understand that some miss my general retardedness.

last year i spun into a wall at PIR and so the wife would never allow me to track the car again, so why keep it? i sold it a few months later and...

im head over heels in love with my lesbaru!

the evo was fun at the track, but an unpractical sausage magnet in every other aspect. even at the track it leaves me wanting much more. was a good option during my time of ownership, but i've moved on

i'm not into off-roading now, i just like this pic from an ORV park
and yes, the outback is hideous in stock form, cant argue that, will look even better when my blacked out headlights get here and i get rpf1s

power is a crutch! 30+mpg, super comfy, ultra reliable, perfect for 99% of my needs, $25k total

i even added a few things to make it more prime donne friendly: RA mud flaps, subaru fender flares & hood deflector, painted chrome, tinted windows, afe dry air filter, gt spec f.+r. strut tower bars, remote keyless entry & knob start switch, grounding kit, spt oil cap & battery tie down, neoprene seat covers, and even a few stickers. here is the slightly dressed up engine bay

once i graduate and start working again i plan on buying a fully built bmw e30 race car, why i got the 2.5i instead of the almost sporty 3.6r outback

what about you?

·
[CEEvo Treasurer]
1,705 Posts
Still in my 2011 STi. Miss the evo for all that it was. It will be tough(and expensive) to replace...

Kris

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
i still have mine, but i got my wife a 335i and i'm looking for a used 4x4 diesel crew-cab truck. Either a Silverado 1500 with a Duramax or Ram with a Cummins. I'd consider a 07+ F250 SD with the new 6.4L powerstroke, but it's hard finding them and a 2002-2004 Chevy or Dodge will still probably live longer, haul more, use less gas, hold more value. The 6.0 fords scare me after 150k miles :( The other guys will do +300k miles without a hicup

I think the evo will become more of a track toy once I can get the truck and a trailer.

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
After I finish my masters I want to make the X my weekend/fun car and do some smaller HPDEs around the area. I'd like to get a Jeep or a midsize truck. But, due to gas prices, I'll most likely get a CR-Z or something.

·
aka DolEvoX
1,554 Posts
got a 02 honda accord... still have the X but its a weekend/show/track day(this year finally) car.

The honda is an automatic and has the 3.0 v6 and it feels like driving a go-kart compared to the X

·
Grumpy young man
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
as much as i love my outback, what would be ideal for me is to get the wife to take it so i can get a new pathfinder v8. that has a tow capacity of 7,000 lbs. thats fine for me. a racecar and trailer should be about 5,500 lbs and i dont like big trucks/suvs. that would also be an ok everyday vehicle just not so great on gas. but thatll probably never happen so ill just keep posting about my lesbaru

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
After I finish my masters I want to make the X my weekend/fun car and do some smaller HPDEs around the area. I'd like to get a Jeep or a midsize truck. But, due to gas prices, I'll most likely get a CR-Z or something.
^^ the diesels can get just shy of 30mpg with about 500hp/650ftlb, and diesel prices are more stable than gas prices

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had to unload my EVO due to divorce for something more practical..aka..TDI Jetta. Now that money is right again and I have a place to live, I will be buying another...for sure...lol

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
^^ the diesels can get just shy of 30mpg with about 500hp/650ftlb, and diesel prices are more stable than gas prices

How expensive are they, though? That'll be the deciding factor.

·
Grumpy young man
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
i dont really think diesel is a great option anymore in this country. diesel is better in every way, but americans are so ignorant, most manufacturers will never bring one here, so i learned to settle for a convenient gas sipper. maybe things will change with the new fuel mileage standards?

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
How expensive are they, though? That'll be the deciding factor.
Depends how you want it loaded.
6.0L powerstroke F250 standard cabs with lowish miles go around $6k
+1k for n extended cab, +2-3k for a crew cab. I wouldnt get a powerstroke over 150k miles

Silverados/Sierras usually start around $7k, but a crew cab in good shape with lowish miles (under 200k) goes for around $10k - $12k depending on options

Rams price about the same as the GMs and have similar lifespan. Depends which engine you like better :)

Either way, that should get you a truck with another 100k miles left in it.

If SUVs are more your thing, Excursions and Suburbans are available based on the same truck/engine. You lose 1-2mpg from the extra weight. Just make sure you get the diesel option, else its a 12mpg guzzler. Expect to pay around $15k for one with some decent life left in it

·
Grumpy young man
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
remember if you drive an excursion or suburban without pulling a trailer or fully loaded up heavily rutted unpaved roads, i will be crying on the inside. big trucks, especially SUVs, not being used for their intended purpose is VERY offensive

·
Registered
548 Posts
Its getting harder and harder to to own a diesel truck me and my dad have 2 diesel pickups and the only way to get over 20mpg is to delete the emissions equipment from them and if you are caught doing that you will face a serious fine. It has to be registered as a commercial vehicle also and when you delete the emissions equipment from them its a bitch to get the truck inspected

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Its getting harder and harder to to own a diesel truck me and my dad have 2 diesel pickups and the only way to get over 20mpg is to delete the emissions equipment from them and if you are caught doing that you will face a serious fine. It has to be registered as a commercial vehicle also and when you delete the emissions equipment from them its a bitch to get the truck inspected
if you put a cap on the back, you do not have to register as a commercial vehicle in NYS.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
what kind of truck and which motor is that? Most of the Ford 6.0 F250 guys seem to have good luck with a reprogramming running in econo mode. You'll lose a good bit of power, but beast-mode is just a button-push away when you need it.

I know in the early production years (2002-2003 iirc), a lot of guys had to remove some EGT stuff. Not sure if thats illegal, but seemed to be more common than catless evos

·
Premium Member
11,760 Posts
i dont really think diesel is a great option anymore in this country. diesel is better in every way, but americans are so ignorant, most manufacturers will never bring one here, so i learned to settle for a convenient gas sipper. maybe things will change with the new fuel mileage standards?
You couldn't be farther from the truth. I don't know if you're just referring to big trucks or everything in general, but there's a diesel for everything in this country, just not as much choice within each segment though.

VW/Audi/BMW/Benz have a ton of diesels in sedans, hatchbacks to SUVs.
Ford/GM/Dodge have a ton of options in the big truck segment.

Quit being so ignorant Bradze! :neener:

·
Premium Member
11,760 Posts
BTW, after the evo in 2008, I bought a VW Touareg TDI in 2011 as the tow vehicle and kept the old trusted camry for the beater. My next plan is to convert the evo to a full race setup, replace the camry with a sportier DD eventually (would be a sad day, because first car).

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Blast from the not so distant past! What happened at PIR, exactly? I always like to learn from others mistakes (as well as my own) so I can try to make sure it doesnt happen again. Did you ever end up doing lemons?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts