Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How long is the life expectancy of an Optima RedTop battery for Evo MR in mild-weather SF Bay area? I bought my '08 Evo MR in May '09 and the dealer gave me a new Optima RedTop battery as the car was in the show room and the battery was dead when I bought it.

I tried to start the car 3 times this morning and failed. The engine did crank but sounded weak. On the 4th try, I gave it some gas and started the engine. Since then, I have started the engine 3 more times and they were all fine.

So I am guessing the battery is getting weak?

· Registered
555 Posts
... i have never had good luck with optima batteries i went through 3 on my rx8 that i owned for 3 years.. best luck i ever had with batteries has been with the sears die hard platinum series and the sears warranty was great from what i remember...just not sure they make a battery to fit our cars.

· [Rally Driving Madman]
2,506 Posts
Mine just died a year old. Wont hold the charge. So i havw to get a new one.

Reactions: z3r0k001

· Registered
98 Posts
Just had to jump start my car, but I have the original panasonic. It's been sitting for a week or so and it's been very cold, but I thinks it's time to replace. I'm going to try the Diehard Platimum that others have mentioned instead of the Optima.

· Registered
153 Posts
I had one in my vette and it died after about 2 years. I just ordered another one though to give it a try... got a yellow top this time.

· Registered
786 Posts
still on the panasonic, once it goes out, ima try the diehard brand from sear. have anyone try the everstart brand from walmart, just wandering.

· Registered
214 Posts
The Die Hard Platinum battery is an absolutely wonderful battery. It's a rebadged Odyssey battery (same company, Enersys, makes both the Odyssey and Die Hard Platinum batteries). A few years ago, Sears contracted with Enersys for their production. They have the same specs as their Odyssey counterparts.

As far as the Optima Red Top goes...it's terrible. I've had three fail on me within months of purchase (on two different cars). I think Optima used to be great; however, when they moved production to Mexico, everything went to $hit. After the third failure, I went with other options.

I currently have a Die Hard Platinum in the Evo. Group 34 or Group 35 is what you need. I personally purchased a Group 34 because I was worried about the height of the Group 35 version; however, since I purchased a Group 34 I was forced to install the battery backwards (doesn't matter at all which way it goes in) for the battery cables to hook up correctly. A Group 34"R" (for reverse) would've been perfect. Unfortunately, that particular version isn't an option.

If installing backwards bugs you, go ahead and buy the Group 35. Someone else on this forum posted they successfully installed one in a battery thread I created not too long ago. However, I will point out that the Group 34 has slightly higher CCA than the 35.

Best of luck.

· Registered
456 Posts
walmart batterys suck ass. diehard batterys seriously do die hard, best battery i ever owned. had a diehard gold in my old prelude, with an 1100 watt amp, 2 subs, and 4 component 300 watt polk db speakers running music for 13 hrs straight while working on the car, and started right up after i was done. diehard FTW

· Registered
527 Posts
Panasonic was finally going bad, so I switched to the die hard platinum, cold starts are so Much nicer

And now the windows roll up a lot faster lol

Sent from my PG86100 using AutoGuide.Com Free

· Registered
786 Posts
once my stocker goes out ima go get the diehard

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I took my '08 Evo MR to Sears Auto this morning and wanted to replace the Optima RedTop with a DieHard Platinum. They checked the starter, alternator, and the Optima battery. They told me everything was good and I don't need a new battery.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.