Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
‘14 evo x GSR

Month or so ago I did some runs. Got home and my car would not go into reverse. Every other gear would work fine, no notchy shifts, no clutch slipping.

Next day I can finesse it into gear but be extra gentle with it. And a few days after that, it goes into gear perfectly fine. Like nothing ever happened.

Three days ago I did some runs again, and low and behold, it’s locking me out of reverse again. It hasn’t fixed itself and I cannot get into reverse at all. I’ve tried shifting into all sorts of combinations, mainly first and third, nothing has worked.

It’s only happened after pushing the car hard. Those have been the only two occurrences.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The exact same thing happened to me. I had to drive and be strategic about parking since I had no reverse lol. I was getting a few lockouts that would end up being resolved until one day it decided to never go in at all. I was stuck in a parking lot for 20 mins until it actually went into reverse prior to the absolute lockout. A very frustrating experience to say the least. My high rpm 4th going into 5th started to grind and I would get locked out of 5th. During normal driving 5th worked fine. I was suspecting the clutch being the issue.

My resolve ended up being a freakin bent shift fork -_-. I never rest my hand on the shifter unless i'm shifting and my tech knows and agreed that I drive like a boss. So we were a bit stumped as to how or why it happened. Car had about 110K miles on the clock when it happened and I had been running Redline tranny fluids i believe.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Is it locked out while the car is off or only when running?

If while running, its likely a clutch disengagement issue. Unless your fork was incredibly bent, or your shifter components that attach to the fork, it should at least "attempt" to go into gear.

Try it with the car off and let me know what you come up with. Even though reverse is synchronized, almost every trans is designed with a relatively "worn by nature" reverse synchro blocker so you cant accidentally shift into reverse while moving forward. A tell-tale test of clutch release health is being able to shift into reverse with the car on. You should be able to push the clutch in fully and count to 3 "Mississippi" and shift into reverse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had something similar happen to me a few weeks ago. The car was fine until one morning it was difficult into get into reverse then later in the day it it wont even let me. Got it to a shop and we found it that the previous shop who did my clutch didn't properly installed the clutch. The bolts on the pressure plate was loose and wasn't fully engaging the clutch and that didnt allow it to go in reverse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts