Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As soon as I installed my new walbro 255 with kit, and it takes 5-7 seconds to start...everytime I try to start it.

I checked the FPR hose and it's fine. I rechecked all hoses and lines at the pump and all seems tight to me. I'm at a lose right now. It was starting right up before I installed the pump. What am I missing? It doesn't make sense to me that it would be the FPR since it seemed to be working a day ago, but could it be? Also, I'm having problems finding an OEM FPR

·
Registered
196 Posts
Damn, you just can't catch a break.

If you cycle the ignition on and off a couple times before attempting to start the engine, does it start right up? If the engine is running and you stop it and then try to restart it immediately, does it start right up? Does it only crank longer if the engine has been switched off for a while (say more than an hour)? If you answer yes to any of these questions, then your fuel system isn't holding pressure.

This could be due to leaky fuel injectors, bad FPR, leaky check valve on pump, or no check valve on pump. Given that it just started happening after the pump install, I would say pump issue.

The walbro 255 has been known to not hold fuel system pressure, causing long cranking. I read some 255 pumps aren't equipped with check valves.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I can't, and it's starting to piss me off. I can't continue my tune, and it's already been since October...

It on'y takes 10 minutes for the car to sit for it to give me issue. I tried to cycle ignition and no change.

Am I dealing with a bad pump or is this just something to be expected from these pumps? I'm leaning toward a pump issue also since this wasn't an issue before.

What are my options?

·
Vendor
174 Posts
No I can't, and it's starting to piss me off. I can't continue my tune, and it's already been since October...

It on'y takes 10 minutes for the car to sit for it to give me issue. I tried to cycle ignition and no change.

Am I dealing with a bad pump or is this just something to be expected from these pumps? I'm leaning toward a pump issue also since this wasn't an issue before.

What are my options?

In my personal experience on the X platform, I've seen a few 255's cause long crank issues. Never got a chance to fully diagnose the issues, but I'd start by going right back to the pump. The stock pump is almost as large as the 255 so it's really not much of an upgrade to be honest.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I switched to the 255 because my tuner recommended it, and I was having a fuel issue that we tried to narrow down to either the pump, clog or injectors.

I have since found the FPR hose off of the intake so I'm sure this was the actual primary issue, but when I took out the oem pump, the filter was black. So I'm sure putting in a new pump was needed sooner or later. As far as the pump choice, well, I was at the mercy of my tuner's suggestion.

Should I try to exchange this defective one for another? If so, which one? I just want my frickin fuel problem fixed

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tore apart the fuel pump housing and made sure the pump was as it should be inside the housing, and put it back in and tightened it down. I popped the engine cover off again only to find the dang hose off the intake again. I put a new hose on and zip tied it back to the intake so it wouldn't come off.

I still have to drive it, and will shortly, but the long crank start hasn't changed. I'm back to thinking it's the FPR. Is there any way to rule it out? I've only found one supplier so far and it's $90 plus shipping just for an OEM. I'm not going into an aftermarket one.

Anyone have suggestions? Most of the threads about these pumps have been for them either not working out of the box or they work. Nothing about long cranks due to them so I'm inclined to look elsewhere since it seems to work just fine

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I think I fixed my hesitation issue! FINALLY!!! But I have to make some runs and log it and send it to Chet. It will be up to him if the numbers are good or not.

But still long crank...I'm not really getting anywhere...

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most of the info in these threads have to deal with fuel pressure leaks and not so much a problem with the actual pump...I still don't think it's the pump. It's either the fuel pressure regulator or a leak at the tank.

I've had a crap load of experience with these issues, which now seem common in car in general. I was hoping it was an Evo only problem, but it's not looking like it. So I'll continue looking for leaks until I can get it in a shop. My previous BMW's have done this. I'm just getting really tired of these kind of issues

I was also hoping for much more feedback from this forum, but seems to be mostly dead

·
Registered
887 Posts
122.4 at one point

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well to be honest I'm not 100% sure where we left off on my tune. For all I know the last map left it high? I'm still very new to this, but I'm learning a lot as I go...

He sent a new map to download so I'll plug it in to the car and see how it fairs

·
Vendor
174 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
looks like IPW/IDC drop out at full throttle. But if it really was dropping like that you would feel it or the motor would be on the side of the road.

Is it a real wally 255? Where did you purchase it from>
It drops because I let off the gas completely at 7K and click the stop button on my laptop..lol Then I shift to 5th and continue on my way

Yes, I got it from a vendor on here, and it is stamped on the side. Might even be stenciled, but I can't remember.

I'm kinda leaning toward the large gasket for the sending unit

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL that 121% is definitely rough!
That's just it...It feels normal. Nice and smooth like a baby's bottom

Here are the new runs after the new map...I had a hell of a time keeping that damn hose on, but I could tell when it slipped off immediately. So I know what to look for if it feels like crap again.

I had to zip tie both ends since I don't have clamps small enough

5,198 Posts
It drops because I let off the gas completely at 7K and click the stop button on my laptop..lol Then I shift to 5th and continue on my way

Yes, I got it from a vendor on here, and it is stamped on the side. Might even be stenciled, but I can't remember.

I'm kinda leaning toward the large gasket for the sending unit
No, I am talking about the drop while you are at WOT:

http://datazap.me/u/razorlab/xlr8?log=2&data=10-12-15-17-20-22-23&solo=12-15-20-22-23&zoom=88-273

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts