Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going on another deployment soon. Last time I just had my SRT-4 covered outside and had my wife start it twice a month. I was thinking this time of maybe just draining oil and gas

How have you guys stored it? Also I will have it in the garage this time. Total time stored will be about 12-14 months.

·
Registered
331 Posts
For 12-14months you should sell it, invest it (even at the cash rate). You skip losing 1yr depreciation (and registration/insurance costs) and get a little return on the invested funds.
Next year buy another evo at a cheaper rate then today. Its like a double win.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was kinda thinking about that. But with Obama and reelection I guess you never know what's going to happen, may come home early. Thanks for the suggestion, ill definitely consider it.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Not sure how you guys do it down there, but in Canada the army pays for storage for us. I left in October and ill be home in a few days, military paid a contracted company to store my car in a heated unit. I requested them to trailer the car from the base to the unit then disconnect the battery. They will be dropping it off at the base the day i get home so it will be waiting for me.

In your case, iiunno, thats a long time...lol.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Not sure how you guys do it down there, but in Canada the army pays for storage for us. I left in October and ill be home in a few days, military paid a contracted company to store my car in a heated unit. I requested them to trailer the car from the base to the unit then disconnect the battery. They will be dropping it off at the base the day i get home so it will be waiting for me.

lol yeah.......america doesnt do that...

my friend is watching mine right now. he starts it every now and then for me. and he keeps it in his garage cuz he drives a 99 eclipse GST and doesnt mind that it sits outside. lol

moral: find a good friend with a garage. pay him a little money.

or sell it and get a brand new one when you get back...assuming you dont have much money into it

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

That's awesome. Our army spends too much in changing our uniform every other year to do that LOL.

Anyone else ever drain the fluids to store it?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I wouldn't drain the fluids to store it. I would fill her up with fresh fluids all around (oil, transmission, and fuel, etc.) right before putting her away.

It's also best not to start the car for just a few minutes every now and then. It should be driven about and brought to full operating temperature. I'd rather let the car sit without starting than start her up for just a short period every now and then.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't drain the fluids to store it. I would fill her up with fresh fluids all around (oil, transmission, and fuel, etc.) right before putting her away.

It's also best not to start the car for just a few minutes every now and then. It should be driven about and brought to full operating temperature. I'd rather let the car sit without starting than start her up for just a short period every now and then.
Ic. I just don't trust anyone to drive it. There's so much conflicting info on how to store. I think I'm going to call up kassabian motors, they have a lot of cars that just sit there for a while.

Thanks for input jakerx

·
Registered
159 Posts

I second that. I've been storing cars for like 10 years and the only thing I always did was fresh oil (not necessary if it's gonna be drained before the car is restarted, but I could not so I prefered starting with fresh oil) and fill up the gas tank (and maybe put fuel stabilizer if for more than 8-12 month. I never did since mine was stored away for 6 months only). Oh yeah, disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I know a few places that have stored cars in there shops for military people. I don't know how much they were charged though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I deploy all the time.

Ive stored a WRX, and an Evo X. Both with no problems what so ever. I did learn a couple lessons though.

Most important is keep it in a dry place or your fastenrs will rust (WRX).

Put fresh, quality fuel in it with a fuel stabilizer (not even really necessary with todays good fuels), park it, and disconnect the battery.

Keep it someplace that doesnt have rats, raccoons etc as they will move into your engine compartment and wreak havoc (didnt happen to me either time). So no barns etc.

Vaccuum out the interior and leave no food, crumbs etc in it.

Disconnect the battery and stick it in a basement or someplace where it wont freeze. I replace mine with new batteries each time I come home. Why chance it?

Cover it if you want. That can help if theres kids around etc.

When you get back, change the oil and drive it.

Put cheap towels, t-shirts etc under the wipers. That keeps them from sticking to the winshield.

If you have to store it outside (God forbid), def cover it, or at the very least put a white towel on your dash, rear dash, and use a window visor.

Thats it. Theres nothing to it. You dont need to put it on jack stands, let the air out of the tires, or put oil in the cylinders.

And the time youre gone is mileage thats not being put on it. Youll save some insurance money too.

Remember to let your debtors know your deployed and have your interest lowerd to 6%.

Also, if you store it the Military will reimburse you. Theres a provision for it and you submit for it when you return CONUS. Talk to your admin types. Bring the coffee and donuts (this works well with supply types too).

Oh, dont engage the parking brake. That can freeze it to the disk. So leave it in gear, and block a tire, or two if your paranoid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.