Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im new to evos.. i just bought my 1st one brand new. Its a 2010 evo x with the 5mt. I love the car however while shifting into 2nd and 3rd gear my shifter grinds/vibrates violently and you can feel it and hear it loud and clear. i dont know what to do so i brought it back to the dealer and they said they didnt hear it and they didnt show much intrest. ( it does it most on a cold start )

basicly i dont know what to do because i want to mod the car but not untill i know everythings ok...anyone have this problem?? any advice??

if it helps the car has about 1k miles on it .... Thanks for any answers!

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
pretty normal.. try double clutching when you change gears.

I get this between 1st & 2nd on cold starts. A lot of people will start telling you to change transmission oil to one of many different oils/cocktails, but it won't solve the problem, just make it a little less of a problem (I know because I tried).

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Short shifter. Weighted shift knob. Bushings and fluid Change. U said u bought it new....I bought my 2010 new as well...around 9k miles it smoothed out a lot. Wats ur current mileage?

This is very normal. Ur Ok to start Modding.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
IMO, the short shifter didn't help either... haven't tried the weighted shift knob or base/under hood bushings yet, but those are also all mixed bag reviews.. if you want it to go away, you have 2 100% success-rate options:

1) wait for the car to warm up
2) double clutch when shifting

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Do Wat I said above^^^ and shift nice and slow. Double clutch while the car is cold and once its warm shift quick. Shouldn't have a prob.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the feedback... but im not damaging anything while its doing this?? because it doesnt feel good lol

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Its not the best. Bur not the worst either. I would try to avoid and do Wat we suggested. :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok i will.. but you deff dont think its a bad syncro right??

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Welcome to Evo's. Get used to it or start modding to make it better. Out of the box they shift like someone with Parkinson's.

Fluid and clutch pill made my shifting issues all but disappear. If you choose not to mod, then double clutch the tranny for the first few miles and it will get much better. On a really cold morning, say about 30F, when you pull out of your driveway it should feel like you totally f'd up your tranny and left it on the ground, if you get that feeling in 2nd and 3rd, then you have bought yourself a normal Evo.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
These cars are built strong as hell. Its fine I promise.

Mileage??

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
thanks for all the feedback... but im not damaging anything while its doing this?? because it doesnt feel good lol
ok i will.. but you deff dont think its a bad syncro right??
I wouldn't forcefully shift the car into 3rd if you are constantly getting the grinding/notchiness -- I would say just double clutch to avoid the grinding/notchiness. If you are constantly "grinding" then I doubt it is good for the car...

Mileage??
The cars are built strong, but consistently hearing/feeling the notchiness/grinding can't be good for any car no matter how strong it was built. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to bring up that point.

I think he said ~1k miles in the first post..

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Mileage??
i got 1100 miles...i just dont get why 2 and 3 are so shitty and then 4 and 5 are like butter.. but if you guy say its normal il take your word for it lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts