Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any suggestions to whats a good lowering spring that i can install without ripping my front lip and side skirts off in the snow and bumps? cars sits somewhat low now cuz of the kits.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The stock evo is pretty low already, so any set of springs is going to make the car really low.
I have the GTworks springs with the aero kit and i drag alot of snow. I have yet to rip off the stock rubber lip. No major problems so far. You just have to drive slow when the streets arnt plowed.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Swift OG's and OEM Aero here, no snow plow. I've gone 2.5 years without harming the rubber flap. I scraped it on a curb once and gave it a rash that doesn't clean off, but at least the paint was never touched.

A month ago it snowed like a ************ (do ************s snow?) and when backing out of my driveway onto the street, I scraped along my snow mountain I built from shoveling... the snow wedged in between rubber thingy and painted lip, and I think now it's a floppy sum'bish in that area...

lol... :p

Snow-vents: channel ice cold snow into your engine bay to reduce engine bay and intake air temps, +20hp

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
the stock body kit really does put the nose low on the evo. I scraped off my rubber lip while at stock ride height. Glued it back on and it survived a few months with swift spec r springs. Then i got in an accident and the flatbed ripped it off again. Thankfully insurance provided me with a brand new one so I'm super low in the front again :)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
ur fine with any springs .. as long as ur careful enough when driving ull be fine ....

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
The front aero lip is already low at stock ride height. Mix that in with some steep curb ramps and you find out quickly how low it is. Didn't take more than a couple of scrapes to pop the plastic tabs that hold it in place and once they go it starts flapping around ripping the rest off.
I had 5-6" of clearance with the front lip - that was ALOT considering i I'm now 3" off the ground and can still drive through blizzards without issue. Take off that rubber lip and gain an inch of clearance. Ditch the plastic under tray, I'm willing to bet you will lose it within a year anyways.

Drive over bumps/dips sideways SLOWLY or take alternate routes for entrances (an extra 100ft of driving is worth it in my opinion, but others will bitch about "inconvenience":ghey:)

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
The front aero lip is already low at stock ride height. Mix that in with some steep curb ramps and you find out quickly how low it is. Didn't take more than a couple of scrapes to pop the plastic tabs that hold it in place and once they go it starts flapping around ripping the rest off.
My front lip is 3.75" off of the ground, I regularly hit and drag cones with it, scrap on driveways and off-camber roads. I haven't had a single issue in almost 4 years with it coming loose, just lucky I guess?

I had 5-6" of clearance with the front lip - that was ALOT considering i I'm now 3" off the ground and can still drive through blizzards without issue. Take off that rubber lip and gain an inch of clearance. Ditch the plastic under tray, I'm willing to bet you will lose it within a year anyways.
As much of a PIA the undertray is, I wouldn't remove it. All you need is a stick, debris, etc getting into your serpentine belt, not to mention the aero loss under the car and the loss of cooling for the tranny. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Since lowering driving has to be done more strategically, I am currently on Tanabe DF210 lowering springs and speedbumps, inclines, potholes, etc. must be avoided at all costs. The rubber lip was replaced once on an insurance claim so I just ripped it off instinctively knowing it would not survive the week. I have kept the undertray to eliminate the crap and animals from taking up residency in my engine compartment but want to upgrade to the ssp aluminum undertray in the future.

Being in Texas we do not get much snow so cannot comment on that. Obstacles aside the Tanabes have served me well reducing lift on accel and dive on decel and stiffening up suspension somewhat, waiting to get coilovers and would go with them if you have the $ as they are variable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.