Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0806_bmw_135_mitsubishi_evo_mr_comparison

Yeah, we know-on the face of it, this comparison looks ridiculous. What business do we have comparing an all-wheel-drive Japanese rally sedan versus a rear-drive German luxury coupe?

Simple: BMW's new 1 Series really is just that-the only one in its class. Its smaller stature and lower-cost bar comparisons with the Infiniti G37 and Audi A5/S5-plus, there's the BMW 3 Series for that. Though the BMW is available as a convertible, the 135i's 2+2 seating combination eliminates sports cars and roadsters like the Nissan 350Z and CLK350 (and the Z4 already has those covered.) What's left? We put together a matrix to compare (see it on page 4).

There we found the perfect 135i competitor: a 300-horsepower, two-door, four-passenger, rear-drive sports car that comes in at $28,000, but can hit the mid-30s fully loaded.

Then we sobered up and realized that nobody cross-shops a BMW against a Mustang. So we rolled up our sleeves and dug past some of the usual disqualifiers to focus on concepts like pure performance and fun factor.

Which is how we arrived at the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR-two extra doors, two fewer cylinders, and one fewer turbocharger, yes, but two more driven wheels, similar engine output, and class-leading performance. Most important, the Evo is the kind of vehicle a true driving enthusiast can honestly consider against the 135i.

Or is it? Does a Mitsubishi deserve to run with a BMW? Or is the question whether a brand-new Bimmer stands a chance against a rally-bred legend? Step beyond the matrix to find out.

"Maybe this was a mistake," come the murmurs from the test track. Part of the rationale behind this odd pairing was the BMW claim that the 135i sprints to 60 mph in 5.1 seconds, just a tick under what we've seen out of the manual Evo GSR. How do we explain our 135i consistently ripping off 4.7-second runs to 60, a full half-second faster than our Evo MR's fancy launch controlled sprint? We can't....
interestingg...

·
Registered
650 Posts
I dont like this review.... the MR beats the 135i on the track and still gets second place? Why in the world would they even compare these cars in the first place? They basically give the 135i the win because of how impressed they are with it in drag... which is a total joke. In drag racing you drive a car like you're trying to break it, but on the track, where in my opinion, it really shows what a car is made of. Ehhhh.... its all a matter of what you're buying the vehicle for I suppose... I plan on tracking my car, so naturally I would go for the evo. If I was looking for something supplement my "manhood" and just drive back and forth to the office, I would get the bmw.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont like this review.... the MR beats the 135i on the track and still gets second place? Why in the world would they even compare these cars in the first place? They basically give the 135i the win because of how impressed they are with it in drag... which is a total joke. In drag racing you drive a car like you're trying to break it, but on the track, where in my opinion, it really shows what a car is made of. Ehhhh.... its all a matter of what you're buying the vehicle for I suppose... I plan on tracking my car, so naturally I would go for the evo. If I was looking for something supplement my "manhood" and just drive back and forth to the office, I would get the bmw.
Thats fine, I took the 2nd place as a grain of salt really. Sure going fast in the straights is fun, but it can borings really fast. Improving your time at an autox event is where the party is at. :thumbup:

Did they say that Evo MR had a sharper steering feel?

·
Administrator
24,215 Posts
I liked the write up overall, and I really like how they did the track diagram of the two cars.

I don't see how the Evo spanked it in overall performance and still managed 2nd place, but I guess they weighed in comfort fairly heavily and didn't really take looks into account. :p

I'm really surprised to see that large of a gap between the two cars on the track. It wasn't even close. Clearly, the X is the superior track car.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I am especially happy that they are pointing out all the obvious facts as to why this comparison is pointless ;) My favorite quote though was "I'll give up a better interior for a car that to me performs better, looks better, and has a distinct personality-the Evo MR." Yep, that pretty much says exactly what I stated before. Do you go for individualism, or ride with the pack. Great write-up!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I don't understand how motor trend got the 135i 0-60 .4 seconds quicker than BMW claims and also motor trend has the slowest times 0-60 of anyone for the Evo. I think paired with the better handling is why the Evo killed it on the track.

·
Administrator
24,215 Posts
I am especially happy that they are pointing out all the obvious facts as to why this comparison is pointless ;)
Like I pointed out in the other thread...for many people, they're going to cross shop these cars. YOU didn't for your own reasons.

My favorite quote though was "I'll give up a better interior for a car that to me performs better, looks better, and has a distinct personality-the Evo MR." Yep, that pretty much says exactly what I stated before. Do you go for individualism, or ride with the pack. Great write-up!
I agree with this part.

·
Registered
949 Posts
The only comparison between these two cars is the 300hp number. Beyond that, the 135i has more in common with the Mustang then with the Evo. I mean really, what is the magic I am missing here. The difference between a 2 door and a 4 door is huge. Even the price is different enough to warrant a separation in class. This was even stated in the article, and its something I personally have brought up several times. So once again, what am I missing?

Comparing to the 335i and 335ix made sense, this does not.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I don't understand how motor trend got the 135i 0-60 .4 seconds quicker than BMW claims and also motor trend has the slowest times 0-60 of anyone for the Evo. I think paired with the better handling is why the Evo killed it on the track.
The MR is slower off the line than a GSR so I could see why they're posting those times for the Evo.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I was actually contemplating getting a 135i, Evo X, M3, the new Camaro, and the new Challenger at one point. So seeing a comparison of all these seems really strange to most, but if I saw this I would have been stoked that someone else had the same taste in cars as me. That is the only reason I could see having a comparison of these two cars.

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,071 Posts
You're all missing the point. They're both sport cars, and fast and people like fast sport cars and they have similar power specs... (and while I could not agree more that they are not the same price at all, they have seemingly similar prices)

anyway, if you read through the specs on page 5 you'll see:
_____________________ BMW______EVO____
2.74-mi road course lap | 163.93 sec | 153.44 sec
I mean thats over 10seconds faster... LOL

But they picked the Evo #2 and since I base my life off of M/T I'ma have to go trade in... HAHAHAHAHAH I love my car.

·
Registered
567 Posts
You're all missing the point. They're both sport cars, and fast and people like fast sport cars and they have similar power specs... (and while I could not agree more that they are not the same price at all, they have seemingly similar prices)

anyway, if you read through the specs on page 5 you'll see:

I mean thats over 10seconds faster... LOL

But they picked the Evo #2 and since I base my life off of M/T I'ma have to go trade in... HAHAHAHAHAH I love my car.
yep...I'll be trading mine in as well. It's gettin' pretty lonely out here in Individualism Land...I gotta' run with pack baaaaah

baaah

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,071 Posts
You know what I don't get... why isn't the bmw compared to the Z? or with all these 135i-evo comparo's why haven't I seen any evo-350Z comparissons? (I know its off topic)

I mean the NISMO version comes with Brembo's and has similar hp ratings and costs the same as the MR will... is it just because its NA and not turbo?

·
Registered
126 Posts
First off let me qualify this post by saying I really don't know sh*t about track racing. :)

That being said, over on 1addicts.com they're claiming that the Evo had a major advantage due to the tires. The 135i comes stock with runflat tires which apparently aren't very good for the track, while the Evo comes with high performance track ready tires. Now I don't think anyone said that simply changing the tires would have actually made the 135i win, but they did think it would have been a little closer if the BMW had better track tires.

yep...I'll be trading mine in as well. It's gettin' pretty lonely out here in Individualism Land...I gotta' run with pack baaaaah
FYI they are only making 10,000 1 series BMWs this year. That includes the 128s and the convertibles. So the 135i is going to be just as unique as the Evo X for a while.

I personally don't see why anyone needs to justify their purchase by bashing an alternate option. Both cars are awesome and I'd be happy to own either one. Remarks like the one above are no better then the remarks you see in those Mac vs PC threads on other forums. Bias fanboys defending their chosen brand for no reason other then that's what they own. :ghey:

Dan

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
First off let me qualify this post by saying I really don't know sh*t about track racing. :)

That being said, over on 1addicts.com they're claiming that the Evo had a major advantage due to the tires. The 135i comes stock with runflat tires which apparently aren't very good for the track, while the Evo comes with high performance track ready tires. Now I don't think anyone said that simply changing the tires would have actually made the 135i win, but they did think it would have been a little closer if the BMW had better track tires.

FYI they are only making 10,000 1 series BMWs this year. That includes the 128s and the convertibles. So the 135i is going to be just as unique as the Evo X for a while.

I personally don't see why anyone needs to justify their purchase by bashing an alternate option. Both cars are awesome and I'd be happy to own either one. Remarks like the one above are no better then the remarks you see in those Mac vs PC threads on other forums. Bias fanboys defending their chosen brand for no reason other then that's what they own. :ghey:

Dan
I never get the tire argument, sure tires do play a big role on the track, but both cars are stock, isn't that fair enough? There is a reason why BMW made the 135i to run flats, and there is a reason why Evo X are running advans, it is because that is how both company intended them to perform with the tires they chose. It is like saying 135i lost because it lacks a DSG gear box and AWD, or the Evo X lost because it has 2 less cylinders, 1 less liter of displacement and one less turbo. It can never be a far comparison if you are nip picking.

·
Registered
949 Posts

Dan
10,000 is not a low number. Toyota only produces about 6000 Prius' a year for reference. Limited cars are produced in numbers around 3000 a year. 10k is considered a full production run. Considering that BMW only has the ability to manufacture 140k vehicles yearly (in the US), its likely that all of these cars will be built in europe, and shipped to the US. This is especially costly for a car in the 40's range.

I totally agree with your second statement though.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hey Dan...I was just kidding. Your right the 135i doesn't belong in the Sheep Class. Just like the M3 and 335i t's a hi perf Beemer which disqualifies it from the Sheep catagory. When they say the 'pack' most people usually think of the 3 series. Every office manager, secratary, supervisor, jr. broker, real estate lady, stockbroker white collar mofo seems to be driving one...trading them in and buying another one. Now thats what most people consider the 'pack'

I have to say one more thing and that's I think the EVO X is really getting the short end' in all these 0-60 times. Our cars come super detuned/pig rich from the factory. If they came to us with a proper tune those times would surely be a bit faster. Does the 135i run that rich right from the lot? OR the STi?

Your right about the tire argument too..we have stud tires and they don't. But stock is stock

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.