Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
This is the first time I've see them selling seconds.....

"For these blemished manifolds, we cut out the section that is blocked by casting defects, port out the area and weld it back together."

So, the main reason most people like the cast manifold is that it's a monolithic piece vs. a collection of pipe welded together, reducing the risk of cracking. I'd imagine there's a slightly higher chance of the manifold having cracks at the welds than the non-blem pieces but the manifold in the pic looks like it has quality welds going for it so it's probably a great option if the price makes it work for your budget.

·
Registered
884 Posts
It's a MAP Cast Manifold, talk to the MAP rep and make sure it falls under the lifetime warranty just as the others would. If it does, send it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As long as the refurbishment can't cause FOD to the turbo, it'll be ok with a warranty.
Unless you're pushing it to the limit on non ethanol fuels EGT's shouldn't be an issue anyway.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally got the manifold exactly a month after ordering. I inspected the manifold and there didn't seem to be any parts that were cut off and re welded. All I found was the words "BLEM" tig welded on the turbo flange. :hah:

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Solid purchase then! If the entire runner structure and merge are cast in one piece you should have a solid and reliable manifold. The weight of a turbo exerts quite a bit of stress in those areas.

·
Registered
884 Posts
There may have been some other issue. Sometimes the Blemish in the casting is in the runner, but I could see one of the flanges getting a bit lost with the sand cast and need some extra material welded in to shore it back up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I took a look at it all the runners seemed smooth. There were no signs of welding inside and out.

When I called them last week, they said it was on back order and will be shipped out when the next batch of manifolds were complete which is pretty funny because they sold me a "blemished" manifold before it was even made. :wtfsign:

·
Registered
884 Posts
When I took a look at it all the runners seemed smooth. There were no signs of welding inside and out.

When I called them last week, they said it was on back order and will be shipped out when the next batch of manifolds were complete which is pretty funny because they sold me a "blemished" manifold before it was even made. :wtfsign:
You may have bought a blemished manifold from them that didn't exist, but they still had the ad up, and as such, honored the sale price.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts