Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Vendor
12,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we've been selling Evo X products for a while now (we actually make several of own in house) and previously had to rely on our local MN Evo X owners for any product development or testing. As our plans for the platform have expanded significantly we decided to bite the bullet and pick one up for ourselves.

I found this beauty at a dealership in Madison, WI (about 250 miles from our shop) and simply couldn't ignore the fact that the previous owner only managed to put 13,9XX miles on it in over two years! The body is pristine and the only flaw I could really find was some curb rash, but the stock wheels will be coming off soon anyways ;)

We've got big plans for this project, which is also my daily driver, but I can't spill the beans just yet. This thread will document the entire build process including installation guides, tech articles, and dyno results. Below is what we're working with as a baseline on 91 octane, it's hard to tell but this thing is super rich, a tune alone should yield substantial gains. Your comments and/or suggestions for the project would be greatly appreciated :)

Quick Jump / Thread Navigation:

MAP 3.5" Short Ram Intake / Dyno Results

MAP Turbo-Back Exhaust / Fuel System Upgrades / Manual Boost Controller / Dyno Results

407whp / Stock Turbo with Fuel Pump Rewire

·
Vendor
12,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got our new MAP 3.5" short ram intake installed late last week, it will be offered with a reducing coupler for the stock turbo inlet and a larger one for those of you with turbo upgrades :)

Due to the removal of the stock MAS housing this unit will require tuning. Although I doubt this will be many people's first modification here are the gains we realized from this intake and MAF scaling adjustments, no timing or boost adjustments as of yet:

·
Vendor
12,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I finally got around to having my Work wheels and Swift Sport lowering springs installed this past week and I'm very happy with the outcome :) The Gunmetal on Graphite Gray has grown on me and I love the new stance from the Swift springs. Ride quality is great (with the exception of a select few crappy MN roads) and I get a much better feel for the road over the stock springs.

We will be addressing the exhaust system next, updates and dyno comparisons will be posted in the near future!

·
Vendor
12,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's been a while here and there have been significant changes so bear with me as this will be a bit of a bulk update lol. This update was supposed to be a simple catback replacement, but a lean condition and time constraints changed all of that. To make a long story short we ended up replacing the entire turboback exhaust, upgrading the majority of the fuel system, and switching to E85 as outlined below:

MAP O2 Eliminator Downpipe / Recirculated
MAP 304SS Test Pipe (Link coming soon)
MAP 3" 304SS Catback Exhaust with Varex Muffler (Link coming soon)
FIC 1100cc Fuel Injectors
Deatschwerks 300lph Fuel Pump with MAP Install Kit
Grimmspeed Manual Boost Controller

I'm pretty happy with an extra 73whp from these modifications, what kind of power levels have other people attained with similar mods? Future plans include an upgraded actuator, AEM Xwifi wideband, and most likely a clutch before we get too crazy lol.

Varex Mufflers

I have to dedicate an entire paragraph to these things. It is quite possibly the single best investment I have made when it comes to automotive upgrades. For those that aren't familiar with these it is essentially a muffler with an electric motor controlled by a wireless key fob. The motor opens and closes a butterfly valve leaving you with a full 3" passage when fully open. When the butterfly valve is closed the exhaust gases travel through a smaller opening in the muffler that bypasses the valve entirely and subjects the gases to additional baffling. Essentially you can switch between a nearly stock sounding exhaust note and a full 3" exhaust with the press of a button :) We will have a production version of my catback and an Evo 8 & 9 version in the near future. You can find more information from the manufacturer here.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Should be interesting....sub'd

1 - 6 of 6 Posts