Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just thought I'd finally take the time to document my build and share some thoughts/pictures along the way. The Evo has always been one of my dream cars and I'm now privileged enough to own one.

My previous car was an S2000 that I absolutely loved, but off the track it lacked a lot of comforts and features.

I sold the S2000, and on 07/15/2016 I went out and bought Evo X FE US1298. It was a hard decision, but I landed on Mercury Gray and have been in love with it ever since.

First order of business was to get rid of the random 2015 chrome accent. I ordered a smoked side marker and replaced the accent piece.

Suspension has always been important to me. The Evo will see some track time, but I didn't want to sacrifice the daily comfort of the OEM suspension. I researched a mild spring that mates well with the OEM Bilstein shocks, and managed to find a set of Swift Spec-R springs on craigslist. The price made it a no brainer!

Next order of business was to replace the crappy 2015 Lancer seats. I took to craigslist again and managed to find a really clean pair of 2014 seats. Out the crappy Lancer seats went, and in with the Recaro seats. Thanks to a how-to tutorial on the forum, they went in with no problem.

That's it for now! I'm on the hunt for a set of TE37s, but plan on running the OEM tires down to the wire first. Saturday is a tech day so the springs may be going in then.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tires shouldnt take long to run down. lol. Looks great. Love the start.

Aside from the suspension, any performance thoughts?
Still in the process of mapping it out. Since it's a different beast than my S2000, I'm a bit nervous to try and make power gains for now.

Is there a suggested "road map" of order of mods outside of suspension?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Change out that Panasonic battery. Gonna die on you.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well, as far as power goes, I'd say basic bolt ons and a tune will be the first step imo. A tune is a big deal with these cars. ALOT of power and response can come from a 3 port boost controller, an intake, a race pipe and a proper tune.

·
[Playstation fanatic]
2,666 Posts
I recommend getting coil over set up over lowering springs. One of the best mods I made.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
An access port is probably your worst option for tuning and out here a boost controller and tune can pick you up 45-60 hp from stock with literally changing out NONE of the factory parts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An access port is probably your worst option for tuning and out here a boost controller and tune can pick you up 45-60 hp from stock with literally changing out NONE of the factory parts
Thanks for the info. I figured a professional tune would be money better spent than a COBB AP. I used to have a WRX and was never comfortable with a general MAP being flashed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
UPDATE: Swift Springs installed

A friend of mine opened up his home/garage to a few of us for a tech day. I spent the time to familiarize myself with the undercarriage of the car and also install my Swift Spec-R springs.

The springs are perfect for me! The ride has slightly stiffened and has made the handling feel more responsive while also reducing some of the body roll. The ride height is great for daily driving while getting rid of the 4x4 wheel gap.

Final product!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Your friends home/garage is pretty bad ass. Just saying haha

·
[Playstation fanatic]
2,666 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I pulled the trigger on a couple "Go Fast" bits! I'm going to be holding off on installing them until I pick up a boost controller and set a time for a tune.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
UPDATE:
"Go Fast" bits have been installed and the car has been tuned!

The installs were simple and straight forward thanks to the great community how-to's.

Big thanks to 5150 Racing for the tune, which net me 282 WHP/310 TQ on their mustang dyno. The throttle feels much more responsive throughout the powerband - I'm excited to get this power out to the track!

Tune time!

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Did you have it tuned with your factory exhaust on?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Those are some great numbers for stock exhaust

1 - 20 of 42 Posts