Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
aka TJs98GT
589 Posts
i think the matte black looks great. id stay with vinyl this way you can easily remove it if you get tired of it. vinyl will also make it easier down the road to sell the car because it gives the next owner or potential buyer to have it either way without much hassle

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
If you are only considering your roof, then vinyl is a decent option. Get it done either by a professional or take your time so that the edge at the front and read windshields are done perfect.
The con with Vinyl is that you still have to be careful with it. What I mean is that powerwashing your car or taking it through a car wash can be a bad thing. If the high pressure water or the scrubbers catch a little lip of the vinyl, it can peel it back or create bubbles.

Paint on the other hand is pretty easy to do on that small section as well, but for a pro job they will need to remove the front/rear windshields to paint under the seals.

So when it comes down to it, both are very viable and if you hand wash your car and can get it done right, vinyl will be cheapest and quickest.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
All vinyl and plastic fades over time, quicker than painted due to some of the UV protection in clear coats and waxes. My guess would be that if you leave your car outside all the time, then you would probably notice a fade within a year. If you garage the car and dont leave it exposed to the elements for too long, it should last quite a bit longer. In any case, vinyl is cheap and easy to replace so it could be a yearly thing and not be too big of an issue.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I think Spy007 is right on target, and I couldn't agree more.

It will look good if done correctly, but as said just be careful with it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'd say go vinyl. The ability to remove it after a while if you get bored of the look outweighs the need for care when cleaning in my book.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts