Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

MBC vs 3 Port EBCS?

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Malves85 
#1 ·
I tried googling and it didn't really help.. I'm wondering about the benefit of a 3 port EBCS over a MBC. Does it only matter if running very high amounts of boost? What are the actual differences?

#4 · (Edited)
Don't even consider an MBC on the X, I ran one for over a year. With the MBC you will get consistent peak boost but your taper will depend on the device which WILL NOT hold boost mid-range like a properly tuned 3-port.

MBC tuned feels like you get a kick in the pants then kind of fizzles out.

EBC tuned feels like you are going to rocket into outer space...that is until around 5500rpm on the stock turbo, then they pretty much converge.

An MBC just CANNOT hold boost like a 3-port. It will naturally taper off and there is nothing you can do about it other than put in a better wastegate. The MBC only allows you to modify your PEAK boost, the rest is pretty much up the the mechanical parts, i.e., WG, turbo. I wish I had never been convinced to use an MBC. I was an advocate for a while and for $70 though I would give a Grimmspeed 3-port a try for a week and see what I thought of it over an MBC, I never looked back.

#5 ·
A 3 port also allows the car to take advantage of some fail safes that it doesn't have with an MBC, such as cutting boost if the car begins to detonate excessively. A lot of tuners suggest MBCs because they save the tuner time when tuning, but there is virtually no advantage to you when using an MBC. The only good thing about an MBC vs a 3 port is that if a 3port is tuned with upward boost correction, this correction can hide a boost leak where otherwise an MBC wouldn't hide it. Nevertheless most tunes have upward boost correction turned off and it's a small price to pay if it's one for the major advantages of a 3port.

With MBCs you also have to worry about adjusting them when the temperature changes.

#8 ·
I'd be scared to tune anything myself. I would have the tuner install it at the shop right before he tunes. It only takes 30min. I actually have a for sale thread with the perrin 3 port for sale. Works perfect. I started modding my car before I got into autocross and the class I race in now doesnt allow any boost controllers. So that and a few other items had to come off the car purely to get my car into the right class.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.