Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I took it easy on the car for the first 750 miles, then did another 750 of a highway trip out of state. Then changed the oil, and called it good.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Taking it easy on mine not going over 5k and not shifting hard, I have 50 miles on it as of today haha

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Taking it easy on mine not going over 5k and not shifting hard, I have 50 miles on it as of today haha
Grats on the new Evo too btw! :thumbup:

break in period hmmmmmmm the innocence :)
When the car is as untouched as an asian woman's turn indicator, amirite?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
The manual says 500 miles, if you rebuild your engine you want to give it 1000.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i gave it 800 miles or so and it wasnt so much for the engine breaking in it was for the clutch engines are so precisely made now with cnc machines its not like the 80's. however clutches that are bagged off the get go have known to be less reliable

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I gave it 1k miles, changed the tranny and engine fluids then ripped on it ever since. 22k miles as of today.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Don't remember the initial break-in. I do know however, for now on, the manual states you must let the engine temp reach 1 blue bar prior to driving. Any longer of a warmup is just excessive fuel consumption. Driving pre-blue bar can cause damage to the turbo. It's in the manual. The manual. The manual. (Wanted to clarify that before everyone tells me/you something different.)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Don't remember the initial break-in. I do know however, for now on, the manual states you must let the engine temp reach 1 blue bar prior to driving. Any longer of a warmup is just excessive fuel consumption. Driving pre-blue bar can cause damage to the turbo. It's in the manual. The manual. The manual. (Wanted to clarify that before everyone tells me/you something different.)
Can you scan that please.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I can. When I go home, I'll post it up. The things you read when waiting for the GF to get coffee. I swear I learn something new every time.
:+1: always waiting for em'

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for all your answers. I have another question: should I change transmission fluid along with the first oil change ??

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thank you for all your answers. I have another question: should I change transmission fluid along with the first oil change ??
For routine maintenance? Nope, not needed. If for personal preference, sure, if you'd like.

I do know however, for now on, the manual states you must let the engine temp reach 1 blue bar prior to driving. Any longer of a warmup is just excessive fuel consumption. Driving pre-blue bar can cause damage to the turbo. It's in the manual. The manual. The manual. (Wanted to clarify that before everyone tells me/you something different.)
I have a Defi oil temperature gauge that starts at 100 degrees. I usually wait for the needle to start moving before driving. In this colder weather, usually takes about 5 minutes at idle. I'm not as concerned with water temperature as I am oil temperature.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
For routine maintenance? Nope, not needed. If for personal preference, sure, if you'd like.

I have a Defi oil temperature gauge that starts at 100 degrees. I usually wait for the needle to start moving before driving. In this colder weather, usually takes about 5 minutes at idle. I'm not as concerned with water temperature as I am oil temperature.
I agree with Jake. I live in AZ, so I never experience the super cold, annoyingly notchy shifting like people talk about in cold climates. So I just changed the oil. But before this summer I'm probably going to do Trans, Diff, and TC. (should be still under 10k miles when I do).

I already planned on going Redline or Amsoil for the trans, and DiaQueen for the rest.

·
[Rally Driving Madman]
2,500 Posts
How long did you take to break-in your EVO X ??? Any suggestions and/or recommendations ???
owner manual. recommended fluids and oem brands. Unless you have a build engine or a high power set up. But then the builder can specify the fluids for that set up, based on his build.
Rob

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
i didnt break mine in at all really. The day i got it, it had 32kms on it Drove around all day, got 300kms on it by the evening and then went to the drag strip. Did my first oil change at 3000km. The car is currently at 7000kms, been to the drag strip 3 times (about 5-6 runs per night) and been at the track to do time attack once...feels strong.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
never followed any break-in advise from anybody (00 celica gts, 04 s2k, 08 evox). the day i purchased all my cars, i take it out and give it a nice long pull (100+) and enjoy the hell out of it. never had any major issues with any of my cars so far. mind you, i dont drive my car like a douche (like turning on my car and immediately taking off hard white engine is cold as snow). some people just lack logic.

my evox has over 60k miles and its running strong. never had to replace/fix anything. just the usual fluid changes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts