·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background first,

2008 GSR (bought in January)
36xxx miles
Full bolt ons
Rickerman basemap (can't continue tune with Chet until I get this issue resolved)

I've been popping P0014 and P0011 CELs (exhaust and intake VVT system target error). I've replaced the oil control solenoids, cam sensors, and ECU. Timing chain is new, oil passages are clear, MIVEC sprocket mechanisms are manually operable.

Judging from my logs of target vs. actual on the cams, it seems MIVEC is not changing the phase angle of the cams. There's a hell of a lot of sloppily applied RTV on my timing chain case and oil pan, I guess from the timing chain install. I'm wondering if the oil feeder filter being clogged could cause this and also what's needed to check/replace it?

Quick log from tonight attached. Just check out the target vs. actual VVT

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Idles fine. I read that writeup on bearing clearance issues causing the idle to stumble. Could that be a possibility even though my idle is stable?

·
Registered
751 Posts
So, it's still retarding timing then. If you unplug the VVT oil solenoid does the car then run like a dog on idle?

It could well be something as simple as a pinched wire from betweem the plugs on the solenoids back to the ECU harness. Have you checked continuity across all those lines back to the ECU and fuse box? MFI relay from memory.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, it's still retarding timing then. If you unplug the VVT oil solenoid does the car then run like a dog on idle?

It could well be something as simple as a pinched wire from betweem the plugs on the solenoids back to the ECU harness. Have you checked continuity across all those lines back to the ECU and fuse box? MFI relay from memory.
I'll try unplugging the solenoids and seeing what effect it has. I replaced the MFI relay with the updated gray one after seeing the TSB and seeing in the service manual that the VVT system routes though there.

As far as checking continuity in the wiring, do I just pull the insulation off and check for visual breaks? Or is there a way I can check with a voltmeter?

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
After going over everything and seeing what you have replaced I think your exhaust cam MIVEC internals aren't sealed. Oil pressure keeps it advanced and if the pressure isn't high enough the spring retards it. I've seen a few that are cracked or the little seals inside get twisted up.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After going over everything and seeing what you have replaced I think your exhaust cam MIVEC internals aren't sealed. Oil pressure keeps it advanced and if the pressure isn't high enough the spring retards it. I've seen a few that are cracked or the little seals inside get twisted up.
Would that also explain why my intake cam is static? Thanks Hollywood. Would that require a new cam gear?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The mitsu tech I trust wonders if my timing chain could be off at the crank. This whole thing is driving me insane. I'm afraid I'm going to start ranting to myself and posting videos of finger dancing light glove videos like Mazzab did in his build thread

·
Registered
751 Posts
If his solenoids are down and he is getting those errors still, then yes the ECU will pull about a million degrees of timing.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If his solenoids are down and he is getting those errors still, then yes the ECU will pull about a million degrees of timing.
McCoy, I did what you advised and unplugged the solenoids. The first log is at idle with the exhaust oil control solenoid unplugged and the second log is with the intake side unplugged. The results are the same regardless. WTF?

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bump. Having an Evo you can't tune is like dating a smoking hot chick with a year-round period

·
Registered
16 Posts
Having a very similar issue, my Evo is the same year 08 SSS gsr. So I hope we can figure out this problem. The only difference is mine is only giving a p0014 code. I had the timing chain replaced a little over a month ago, they said there was nothing else wrong. Blah, either way I've had this code for over a year now and would love to resolve the issue.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Having a very similar issue, my Evo is the same year 08 SSS gsr. So I hope we can figure out this problem. The only difference is mine is only giving a p0014 code. I had the timing chain replaced a little over a month ago, they said there was nothing else wrong. Blah, either way I've had this code for over a year now and would love to resolve the issue.
Mods? Running stock map? Replaced the cam position sensor or oil control solenoid?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have a similar issue. Intake cam likes to randomly advance way off target....

Recently rebuilt the motor - new timing chain and gsc s2 cams, full valve job and new springs retainers.

how about you guys. Any recent work before this code other than timing chain replacements?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
actual
I have a similar issue. Intake cam likes to randomly advance way off target....

Recently rebuilt the motor - new timing chain and gsc s2 cams, full valve job and new springs retainers.

how about you guys. Any recent work before this code other than timing chain replacements?
Nothing that I can tell. Just bought the car in January. Starting to think it's a wiring issue since I've replaced the cam sensors, oil control solenoids, and ecu. Oil pressure shouldn't be an issue cause my cams are spot on at idle. So that leads me to believe the wiring to the solenoids is toast since they both split from the loom at the same point. There is also no difference in phase angles with the solenoids connected or disconnected, logged target vs. actual in Evoscan

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had this CEL before I rebuilt my motor and put gsc s2's in, the mods I had before that was turbo back exhaust,ICP's,CAI, AEM tru-boost, forge waste gate, and synapses BOV. Now I have a 2.2l stage 2MAP block, cams, twin disc clutch, 4"intercooler, and FP black. Either way I have tried everything you have done and am at the same point. When I was getting it tuned at spec ops, they couldn't diagnose it and I have been trying to ever since(almost a year now)

1 - 20 of 195 Posts