i have a 2009 Lancer GTS.
got it for less then a week.
and ive been searching like crazy on ways to replace the maps.
i have read countless of guides and instructions but none were clear.
so after i figured it out i decided to write this mini guide for those of you that have the same problem.
first, some basic facts:
1. you cant upgrade the maps unless you buy it legit with a 1 time use unique version key up (or so we thought)
2. the maps cost between 180-220$.
3. there is an update once 1.5 years.
what you will need.
1. take ur HDD out by following the instructions on page 2 here:
2. hack your HDD (follow these guide, the first page pretty much explain it all its much simpler then it looks like:
3. Find online or from a friend the latest map update (available online for the EU maps, impossible to find online for the US maps (yet).
4. when you get the CD (off the internet or a friend or wherever) you will see a set of files within that dVD:
here is the list of files:
HD1.*** (164 FILES)
5. Copy all files to your local hard drive (if on a DVD).
6. download the attached zip file (script) i provided, extract it and dump it in the same folder where you copied all the files.
7. Run the script.
8. now you will have all the HD1.*** set of files in an ordered number HD1.001 - HD1.641.
9. download the program 7zip (can be downloaded from: http://www.7-zip.org/
(unless you already have it).
10. Highlight all of the HD1.001 --> HD1.641 files.
11. Right click (or use any way you want basically) and extract them all to a different location (for organization purposes only).
12. You will get a Big almost 20GB file named
13. Once again using 7zip take this file and extract it (again) to a different location (again, for organization purposes only).
14. You will now have these set of files:
Folder named IDX
15. If you finished the instructions to unlock your HDD, now is the time to connect the MMCS HDD to your computer.
16. You will see a couple of HDD partitions.
17. Easiest way is to simply find the partition that contain the exact same files as written in steo 14.
18. Make your self a copy of the files on the MMCS original HDD for backup.
19. Delete all the files and then replace with the files you got from step 13/14.
20. Disconnect the HDD from your computer.
21. Re-install it back in your car and that's it.
you are now with new updated maps.
hope this help, good luck!!