Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys new to this and have a question...
currently have k&n drop in, ets uicp. ultimate racing testpipe back exhaust with a cobb stage 2 it's maps. Dunno my exact hp on my 2011 GSR. Wanting to know what would be better in terms of more hp now? A bigger intercooler and lower icp or a ets intake??? Wanting more power like asap!!! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
custom tune will get you much more power than either an intake or an LICP.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Downpipe and FMIC. If you want to go big like the post above FP Red should do it. If you want the whole shebang go AMS or ETS full turbo kit!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My ultimate goal is a fp red set up. But im accumulating all my bolt ons first. As stated above I already have a test pipe. So my real only other bolt ons are intercooler, lower icp,down pipe and intake. What would be more beneficial first in what order thanks. After I have all supporting mods ill get a mbc and a fp red with a custom tune. Thanks

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
my bad, didnt see the test pipe when i first read it.

Intercooler
intake
lower intercooler pipe
custom tune

·
Registered
638 Posts
I think the intake would yield better gains than the front mount would. If you're already heatsoaking your intercooler maybe but unless your over 27psi on the stock turbo and doing back to back to back pulls the intake would be better.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I agree the intercooler should come last. I dont plan on touching mine until a new turbo goes on the car.

I would look into getting a 3 port boost controller. Its uses the ECU instead of just a simple knob so it can adjust to weather/temperature or however it works. Better and safer boost control especially for a big aftermarket turbo. As the winter comes and weather gets colder I'm sure there will be a thread or two where someone with a mbc didnt turn it down for the winter, spiked and broke something.

There is a section with build threads and the FP Red is pretty popular so spend time looking those over. Being in a rush for more power like asap and slapping on a big turbo without the proper supporting mods and good tune can lead to trouble.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I would look into getting a 3 port boost controller. Its uses the ECU instead of just a simple knob so it can adjust to weather/temperature or however it works. Better and safer boost control especially for a big aftermarket turbo. As the winter comes and weather gets colder I'm sure there will be a thread or two where someone with a mbc didnt turn it down for the winter, spiked and broke something.
This. It tends to happen every now and then. :(

I would say downpipe as I feel that its restricting your power the most (after the 3 port mod) I have never seen the point of not having a full TBE. Imagine blowing air through a tube that starts out at 2cm then opens to 3cm or 3cm all the way. :duh:

Seeing how you have the stage 2 map you should be good.

I would not waste your money on an intake. Honestly on a turbo car any intake other than stock air box helps. Try this, touch your turbo... yes its very hot so CAI is kinda worthless, the intercooler cools the air. Second, the design almost doesn't matter. Have you ever held you hand over an open intake? It sucks it up quickly. With that being said, trying it, and then imagine holding it over the intake at 7000rpm and the turbo's compressing the air to 20 pounds of pressure per square inch in the charge pipes. Point being the turbo will get its air regardless, as long as there is no restrictions and free flowing they are all about the same. IMHO

If you can prove to me beyond a reasonable doubt that ICP will gain you more than 1 hp I will give you a hundred bucks. Maybe some increase spool time and better throttle response as the pipes to do not have to expand under boost.

However right before going BT (bigger turbo) I would suggest the DP, then ICP, then IC, other supporting mods (injectors, carwash,stickers etc), FP Red, then tune. Maybe some AFR or Boost gauges unless you trust your luck.

Good Luck, let us know what you do and how it does. :dancebanana:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts