Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello , I have the Evo X built by AMS - TA-X
The car has been running okay however we decided to clean up the wiring loom. Now when we start the car it seems to be misfiring and the injectors are not firing properly, Inside the motec M800 the diagnostic errors we get are attached. Please Help
Rectangle Font Parallel Technology Screenshot

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would start with doing a Ref Sync Capture, which is a feature in Motec ECU Manager, and seeing what the signals looks like.
If you have a Ref Sync Capture from when the engine was running without the errors, it would be good to be able to compare them as well.

The ECU requires the sensor from the crank and the cam to "sync" together within small variation.
If this started right after the wiring loom cleaning, trace the cables from the sensors.
If this did not start right away after the wiring loom cleaning you might be looking at fluctuation from the timing chain .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would start with doing a Ref Sync Capture, which is a feature in Motec ECU Manager, and seeing what the signals looks like.
If you have a Ref Sync Capture from when the engine was running without the errors, it would be good to be able to compare them as well.

The ECU requires the sensor from the crank and the cam to "sync" together within small variation.
If this started right after the wiring loom cleaning, trace the cables from the sensors.
If this did not start right away after the wiring loom cleaning you might be looking at fluctuation from the timing chain .
Hello , Thanks for the reply
This definitely started after the loom cleanup , i haven’t been using the motec software long enough to fully understand it , However i have logs from when the car was running perfect and a log from when this problem started. I could send you everything i have and you take a look if you can and even connect remotely to see if you can see anything that might help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In Motec ECU Manager, go to Utilities - Ref/Sync Capture either when starting or better, when the engine runs.
This utility works as a Scope and records the signals from the Crank and Cam sensor.

On the capture you can see the input from the sensor.
These can be saved as .rsc2 files, which are Motec specific files and can be analysed with the Motec software.

"Healthy" signal from an Evo X can be seen here:

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Pattern

If you zoom in, you might be able to spot irregularities.

If this started when the loom was "cleaned" it points to these sensors or wiring going bad.
Start tracing these.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In Motec ECU Manager, go to Utilities - Ref/Sync Capture either when starting or better, when the engine runs.
This utility works as a Scope and records the signals from the Crank and Cam sensor.

On the capture you can see the input from the sensor.
These can be saved as .rsc2 files, which are Motec specific files and can be analysed with the Motec software.

"Healthy" signal from an Evo X can be seen here:

View attachment 289212

If you zoom in, you might be able to spot irregularities.

If this started when the loom was "cleaned" it points to these sensors or wiring going bad.
Start tracing these.
Hey Thanks so much for this information, The car won’t start right now but this is what i got while its cranking
Rectangle Font Parallel Gas Technology

Line Rectangle Font Slope Audio equipment

·
Registered
17 Posts
There you see the signal from cyan colored line is strange. The vertical axis is voltage. The voltage is far from enough.
If you go into Option on this screen in the Utility, you can see what the cyan colored line represent.
It is the Sync signal from the cam.
Measure the voltage the sensor is fed. There is most likely voltage drop to the sensor, from it, or both.

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

The yellow signal, crank, seems to be ok.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There you see the signal from cyan colored line is strange. The vertical axis is voltage. The voltage is far from enough.
If you go into Option on this screen in the Utility, you can see what the cyan colored line represent.
It is the Sync signal from the cam.
Measure the voltage the sensor is fed. There is most likely voltage drop to the sensor, from it, or both.

View attachment 289217

The yellow signal, crank, seems to be ok.
okay Going to measure the voltage on the cam sensors. Im also getting a diagnostic error that says ERROR REF NOISE TR
Font Parallel Technology Rectangle Tints and shades

·
Registered
17 Posts
The ref/sync error can all be related to this low voltage.
I am amazed the engine run at all, as the signal is almost non-existing.
If the voltage toward the sensor is ok, the sensor itself can be bad.

When you have confirmed the voltage and the sensor is ok, manually reset the errors with the button in the sensor overview.
hey do not all self reset.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The ref/sync error can all be related to this low voltage.
I am amazed the engine run at all, as the signal is almost non-existing.
If the voltage toward the sensor is ok, the sensor itself can be bad.

When you have confirmed the voltage and the sensor is ok, manually reset the errors with the button in the sensor overview.
hey do not all self reset.
and the low voltage can cause the car to misfire and not allow the injectors to fire ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
If the ECU does not get the the Sync/Ref signal in the correct form at the correct time it does not know what is the correct time to inject or ignite.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the ECU does not get the the Sync/Ref signal in the correct form at the correct time it does not know what is the correct time to inject or ignite.
Okay so i found a problem with the wire to the cam sensor , They were in the wrong place. However the car starts and runs better but there’s still a problem.
Azure Rectangle Material property Tints and shades Pattern

·
Registered
17 Posts
Too low fuel pressure can cause too lean condition at idle. What is the fuel pressure?
I doubt that the Motec is using the Narrow band oxygen sensor to adjust the AFR condition and if nothing was changed in the tune, you are looking at hardware problem.

To low voltage at fuel pump? Was the wiring toward the fuel pump also "cleaned" up?
Fuel pump relay?

What AFR do you see at 2500 - 3000 rpm and toward which direction does it go when the rpm goes down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It goes 12 at 2500-3000 rpm , Will have yo check the voltage to the fuel pump and let you know , So when it rev it heads to rich so you sound right it might be a fuel pressure problem

·
Registered
17 Posts
At the same time measure the fuel pressure.
If fully equipped racing car, it might already have an electronic one which the Motec logs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts