Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had problems with motion sickness all my life, whether it be on a boat or driving as a passenger in a car. I never get sick when I'm driving the car normally. I just started tracking my car and I get huge headaches after every session. I have motion sickness medication but it makes you drowsy which would be really bad for driving. Does anybody have this problem or any remedies to help prevent this at the track?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I had problems at Laguna, Sears, and Thunderhill back in the day with headaches and nausea.

One reason was because I wasn't paying attention to heat. When the adrenalin gets pumping you forget sometimes your really hot, especially if the ambient is super hot. I hydrated more according to a track instructors advise and it helped immensely. A/C was also a big help (when I had it) even though people seem to never use it on the track.

My helmet was too small and caused a lot of cranial pressure. Make sure you aren't making excuses for an expensive helmet.

Head movement can be a problem in the X with the types of G forces we are seeing. Lack of head restraint seems to be causing neck muscle strain and stiffness with me already.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
^ I use it in the pits and take frequent stops to cool down. That's what old men do Frank. You been at the hill at 100+ degrees? It sucks, especially in Nomex.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Chiropractor. Could be an upper cervical issue. Head jerking around with helmet just makes it get worse. Headaches are also possible upper neck issues. Vertigo can be caused by a lateral atlas which could be blocking a Eustachian tube and throws off your balance. This can also make you more prone to sinus problems.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
agree with the helmet possibility. i just bought one myself. i tried a small first, which seemed to fit fine, but after wearing it around the store for about 15 minutes i could feel the pressure start to build up, so i went with a medium.

·
Premium Member
11,810 Posts
Do you wear a neck band that supports the weight of the helmet and keeps your head movement to a minimum? I'm talking about this:

·
Registered
14,255 Posts
You may or may not be pregnant.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I had problems at Laguna, Sears, and Thunderhill back in the day with headaches and nausea.

One reason was because I wasn't paying attention to heat. When the adrenalin gets pumping you forget sometimes your really hot, especially if the ambient is super hot. I hydrated more according to a track instructors advise and it helped immensely. A/C was also a big help (when I had it) even though people seem to never use it on the track.

My helmet was too small and caused a lot of cranial pressure. Make sure you aren't making excuses for an expensive helmet.

Head movement can be a problem in the X with the types of G forces we are seeing. Lack of head restraint seems to be causing neck muscle strain and stiffness with me already.
This

If this doesn't fix it then either
A. Understand you will be limited or
B. Ask this question to Docs who specialize in motor sports.

I do know the helmet issue plays a role. My 100 helmet and my 400 shoei differ in weight by at least 1lbs which translates to less strain.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
All jokes aside, I would recommend ibuprofen and gatorade. I get headaches when I'm dehydrated and at the track I go through gallons of Gatorade. I even lose most of my appetite for the day, where I'd normally eat a ton of food, I eat like a girl on a first date at my track days... must be the adrenaline taking the place of normal food.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
All jokes aside, I would recommend ibuprofen and gatorade. I get headaches when I'm dehydrated and at the track I go through gallons of Gatorade. I even lose most of my appetite for the day, where I'd normally eat a ton of food, I eat like a girl on a first date at my track days... must be the adrenaline taking the place of normal food.
Track days beat the shit out of me too. I just want to drive slowly home and sleep for a day. After the day when everyone goes to eat, I'm usually "meh" and just head home haha.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Track days beat the shit out of me too. I just want to drive slowly home and sleep for a day. After the day when everyone goes to eat, I'm usually "meh" and just head home haha.
very interesting, i'm signed up for my first track event in a couple weeks. are you worn out completely after the day? it's a 3-hour drive to the track and i don't wanna go all narcoleptic on my Evo.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Well... yeah... are you gonna have somebody with you? I had a rough ass time the last track day I had that was out of state. It was roughly a 3hr drive, and I left my house at like 4:45am! At the end of the day, I think I left at 4pm instead of 5pm, and I had to talk to friends on the phone to keep me up.

Just a little insider's tip: sunflower seeds (with shell) keep you awake like nothing else EVER. The act of separating the shell and seed with your teeth keeps you extremely awake. I've done literally dozens of 11+ hour road trips in one straight shot thanks to sunflower seeds. For a good variety, mix it up with ranch, BBQ and dill (the dill is surprisingly good).

At times when the music is cranked to the max and you're trying to sing along but you still find yourself doing that scary ass "waking up while on the highway" thing and thinking "holy fuck how long was I out," if you just pop in some seeds and start separating, you won't fall asleep.

It does drain you, hardcore. I really admire the F1 guys who make us weekend warriors look like complete sissy chumps.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
yea, when all that adrenaline goes away, your gunna be wicked tired. although ive driven back from watkins glen (6 hour drive) after 2 day events and wasnt too terrible.

to get back on topic though, sounds like your helmet might be a tad small. Or your not eating/hydrating enough during the day

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would say if you have more than a two hour drive from your house to the track i say get a hotel room the night before and get some good rest that night. Drinks lots of water through out the day. I piss before and after every session.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.