Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after having my trans/diff rebuilt at Shep the shop that has my car reinstalled the motor and trans. Went to start and all it does is click, swapped a well known good battery and had the same result.

Put a wrench on the crank and the motor wouldn't budge, the wheels (while up on lift) turn freely. You can shift through each gear without issue.

The shop pulled the motor back out and put a wrench on the crank and it STILL won't budge. The car has only sat for 3 months with a recent oil change (just prior to diff grenading). They took the starter completly off, same result.

The motor is completely stock and was never pulled apart. What are the chances of a motor "seizing up" from just sitting there? Any other thoughts? Suggestions? The motor has 25K miles...

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
yeah thats a doozy. the crank not moving freely is concerning. That tells me something isn't right. Was the motor stored indoors for the 3 months the car was out of commission? You may want to consider pulling the head to check the cylinders.. not sure what else to reccomend.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Maybe trying to put some penetrating oil in the cylinders and see if that loosens anything up.
Pretty much this is all you can do. Seems like it just needs to free itself up. I doubt you'd have any mivec/valve contact issues.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Ive never heard of an engine siezing from being just sat there?

Have you tried rocking the car back and forward whilst in 1st gear? it will take two people to do this as the evo's a fatty, you should hear a click/clunk as the flywheel turns the crank a notch.

Dont wanna cause any more dammage but you could try bump starting the car?

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Uh, yeah.

Stock?, did they try pulling the plugs and cranking it by hand?
I don't know that they pulled the plugs but they definitely tried cranking it by hand with a wrench.

Maybe trying to put some penetrating oil in the cylinders and see if that loosens anything up.
I suggested this today to them. Waiting for results...

Pretty much this is all you can do. Seems like it just needs to free itself up. I doubt you'd have any mivec/valve contact issues.
Yeah. If the penetrating oil doesn't work im going to tell them to get the biggest wrench/breaker bar they can find and force it. If it breaks a piston then I have to rebuilt it anyway...

Ive never heard of an engine siezing from being just sat there?

Neither have I... Its almost impossible as there isn't much moisture in the motor...

Have you tried rocking the car back and forward whilst in 1st gear? it will take two people to do this as the evo's a fatty, you should hear a click/clunk as the flywheel turns the crank a notch.

This is the first thing I had them try. They said it didn't budge at all.

Dont wanna cause any more dammage but you could try bump starting the car?
They need to get a breaker bar and a socket and spin it clockwise. It'll budge. It has to.
Why clockwise? It shouldn't matter should it?

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Mivec is meant to be driven in one direction only. You *can* go backwards, but with the mivec actuators working against camshaft resistance, they may move enough to get close to a piston. Maybe even touch it, I'm not sure- but why risk it?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't bother with penetrating oil in the cylinders - unless it's been sitting under water for those three months. Probably do more damage by using penetrating oil.

Take the gearbox off the block and see if it will rotate then. Since that's something that has changed since it last ran.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts