Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Oil seeps past the rings when motor sits upside down.
I could see a couple drops a month, but nothing significant. Cold engine oil ain't thin penetrating oil. To fill a chamber we're talking a 80cc or so, no?

I think it was just the bearings being dry combined with a little rust on the pistons due to extremely high humidity recently.
In three months with Mobil 1 oil? Not a chance. I've left engines for 12+ months un-started and not had a single problem.

If that is true - that the engine bearings seized to the crank - then the bearings and crank are gone. From no oil I would expect much more wear on the cam follower buckets/shims. They're under constant pressure with no [fresh] oil. The crank bearings are not under any pressure when it sits and there is no metal-to-metal contact.

If the upper cylinders rusted then the moly-faced rings are gone.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
One more thing to consider with all the theories here.

If it did rust at the rings due to moisture, why is it so hard to move? In reality two pistons are moving down away from the rust, which even makes it more incredible to think that you would require a 6ft. breaker to essentially free two pistons moving up in a sealed environment (plugs still in so no moisture getting below, so only rust on the top side of the piston).

I mean, these pistons and rings are not that big, nor is the wall surface area. To be that rusted, I would demand the head come off and take a look. You would surely expect some ring damage (maybe not to the eye, but surely there was some abrasive contact with the rings clearing/freeing the rust lip).

Just seems incredibly rusted to me to require that much force. Not saying it could not, or did not happen, just very peculiar if it did and require that much force to free it up.

So all that moisture got past the rags etc, past the valves with the plugs still in (so no other way to enter) and caused so much rust to form that quickly to build an edge to seize the rings???

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
One thing you might want to do now - is replace the front carnk pulley bolt. The one that is now way very-tightened. 5 foot breaker bar w/200 Lb guy bouncing on it ~=900+ Ft-Lbs.

·
[E-Tuner]
15,860 Posts
One thing you might want to do now - is replace the front carnk pulley bolt. The one that is now way very-tightened. 5 foot breaker bar w/200 Lb guy bouncing on it ~=900+ Ft-Lbs.
soo much torque, the chassis twisted off the line

:bowlol::bowlol::bowlol:

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
This is one nutty story!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
This is almost as nutty as HOTDOGS 6 billion dollar build with a flux capacitor and the car still won't drive....

·
Registered
186 Posts
I left my EVO X sitting for a month. When I went to start her nothing, no crank, no tick tick tick, nothing.
I took the battery off and went to Pepboys for a new battery.
They tested the battery first and said the battery is fine.
I told them it’s not, it wont even crank.
I bought a new battery and the same thing, no crank and no tick tick tick!
I then decided to help her cranking with a 1/2” electric wrench.
She cranked and started but immediately broke the serpentine belt off.
I’m assuming one of the pulleys that Mitsubishi replaces under warranty seized.
All the pulleys were replaced under warranty a few years ago.
This is the 3rd time I have a problem since the pulleys were replaced.
The previous two times the belt just slipped off while I was driving.
Thank god no damages!!

Are Hyundai pulleys my option or what?

·
Registered
51 Posts
This story had me scared at the start and laughing at the end (mainly due to other peoples responses). Even though it was a necro im happy it all ended up well :)

101 - 117 of 117 Posts