Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am new to these forums and have noticed alot of people specify that they have the GSR or MR when talking about tuning. Why? I thought the engine ecu etc was the same. I thought the only mechanical difference was the transmission. I have seen people even saying the exhaust is different? I searched a bit, but these forums are a bit different than the ones for my other cars (SRT-4, 370Z). Any answers or if someone can point me in the right direction for answers, I'd appreciate it. Thx. By the way, we just bought a MR, but have not yet taken delivery of the vehicle because the dealer cant get us the MR in the color we want
:-(

·
Registered
10,095 Posts
Exhausts are not different.

There are some tuning tweaks with the MR's transmission. The ECU is the same, but there are different tables with the MR that correspond to the SST.

You'd want to find a tuner who knows WTF they're doing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it was strange that people listed the exhaust as different unless the plumbing was different because of the placement of the transmission. As far as basic upgrades like an intake, hard pipes, intercooler, and other bolt ons, are they same then? I would think so. We dont plan on doing tons of modding to this car, as it will be a daily driver.

·
Registered
10,095 Posts
You mean like when people list their mods? They list brands primarily out of habit and/or bragging. I'm running an Invidia. Which means jack all in the big picture, because, as you mentioned, every single exhaust out there is 3", some sort of metal, and is in the shape of a cylinder. The biggest difference is sound, period.

There are some intakes that don't fit the MR; some of the cold air intakes would hit where the transmission sits. But otherwise, yeah. All of the "Shorty" intakes work.

·
[Off Topic Moderator], [Ralliart Moderator], [Loca
4,765 Posts
i actually feel sincere kind thoughts coming from your posts hotdog....very seductive lol.

also in addition to CAI's some LICP dont properly fit around the tranny...i havent seen any posts about it, but i do see on different brands "GSR only" or "does not fit MR" i don't have any personal friends with MR's or ralliarts damn bastard friends of mine all have GSR's

·
Registered
10,095 Posts
Every now and then I'm nice.

This is a semi unique question. I was all raged up coming in here, but he seems genuine.

I plan to test his anus later, to ensure he is fresh. He will enjoy it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have always liked the looks of the Invidia's. I have not heard any exhausts except on youtube. I will have to look around and see what sounds good.

·
4,765 Posts
Every now and then I'm nice.

This is a semi unique question. I was all raged up coming in here, but he seems genuine.

I plan to test his anus later, to ensure he is fresh. He will enjoy it.
i do concur the question wasnt the usual GSR vs MR...most are which one is better (period) i like this question thoughtful almost :)

·
Registered
10,095 Posts
I have always liked the looks of the Invidia's. I have not heard any exhausts except on youtube. I will have to look around and see what sounds good.
It's a cheap piece of pipe that doesn't rust. Moderately light.

It sounds like pure ******* though. It's the same terrible sound, except at a different pitch depending on throttle.

At idle:

blapblapblapblapblapblapblapblapblapblapblapblapblapblapblapblapblapblapblapblapblapblapblapblap

At WoT:

BLAPBLAPBLAPBLAPBLAPBLAPBLAPBLAPBLAPBLAPBLAPBLAPBLAPBLAPBLAPBLAPBLAPBLAPBLAPBLAPBLAPBLAPBLAPBLAPBLAP

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agreed, there do seem to be alot of MR vs GSR what is better. My wife will be driving this car, so the MR is the car for her. She actually started crying while driving my 370 because she had to come to a stop on a hill with cars behind her, and then had to cross an intersection with traffic. Thats when I decided I was getting her the MR. I am not sure which I prefer overall. I do like the MR wheels better, and I dont plan on changing the wheels, so thats a bonus. As far as the anal...........not sure I will like that, but if thats what the induction to the forums takes...hahahaha J/K

·
4,765 Posts
its not during the induction...pretty much your whole time here lol

·
4,765 Posts
and dont kid hotdog will find u eventuanlly

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Hello all. I am new to these forums and have noticed alot of people specify that they have the GSR or MR when talking about tuning. Why? I thought the engine ecu etc was the same. I thought the only mechanical difference was the transmission. I have seen people even saying the exhaust is different? I searched a bit, but these forums are a bit different than the ones for my other cars (SRT-4, 370Z). Any answers or if someone can point me in the right direction for answers, I'd appreciate it. Thx. By the way, we just bought a MR, but have not yet taken delivery of the vehicle because the dealer cant get us the MR in the color we want
:-(
Tuning:

They can be totally different beasts to tune. The SST throws a huge loop in there. Where as a GSR is easy and straight forward.

·
Banned
1,664 Posts
What about hp limitations on the MR?

I know AMS has their turn-key Evo900X stage that boasts 842hp on a GSR, but I haven't really seen any MR's over 550hp. With the proper upgrades to the transmission can they even handle more?

·
4,765 Posts
i concur - my first pro tune took...........ehh maybe 4-5 hrs cuz the sst is a tad strange in deed :) i like it lol - but my second car will def be a gsr

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
What about hp limitations on the MR?

I know AMS has their turn-key Evo900X stage that boasts 842hp on a GSR, but I haven't really seen any MR's over 550hp. With the proper upgrades to the transmission can they even handle more?
The transmission is the problem. It needs to hold the torque. We don't fully understand and / or cannot get the tranny to hold such torque yet.

On a GSR, you simply replace the stock clutch. Done. GSR uses a typical dry friction plate and a pressure plate. Easy as pie. The SST uses clutch plates soaking in transmission fluid and solenoids that try to hold the plates together.

When you shift a GSR, your foot adjusts how much pressure is applied to your clutch plate, so you have full dynamic control of the slippage. The SST is all done via software and hardware. Adjusting all of it has not proven to be easy.

I do know that there are guys out there actively researching the SST tranny. I have heard of some of their advancements. (Don't ask, as I cannot share their secrets.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We finally took delivery of our MR. I love it. It's perfect for the wife given she is awful at a straight forward manual. I think I'd buy a GSR if it was for me, but I already got my toys. Seems like an AMS stage 1 may be a good choice for her. Only thing that is throwing me for a loop is....how do you launch an MR? I dare not slap it from N to D while reving, I blew up a transmission on an auto 300zx doing that. Time to search the forums I guess

1 - 20 of 27 Posts