Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 5920 Posts

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this thread up on EvoM for quite some time but I figured I should have it here as I like this forum better. I have posted this on a few of the local ones so I got lazy and didn't feel like doing it right away...but here goes, kind of the history of my car.

So in an effort to stop clouding up other people's threads...I have grabbed the life of my evo x pics/graphs from my local evo forums from when the car was stock until its present state :)

The car should be getting fired up soon so here is the progress with disaster in between.

So here goes:

Here it is when i first got it, outside hasn't changed really, shorty antenna is about it:

Here is my first dyno at DB with catback/intake (as close to stock as I ever had it dynoed at, roughly 215 is what a stock gsr does there):
AMS Intake
Buschur Bullet Catback
First tune...baseline with mods installed vs. new numbers:

Then came a UR testpipe and a retune:

Then came these parts:

And E85 retune:

This is where the car currently is for power until next week.

My fuel assembly after 6 months on E85 using DIY install kit, worked alright, wouldn't recommend.

Now for the current state:

Clean and then dirty:

Me installing my new parts two nights ago...man it was cold.

catch can moved when new LICP went in.

Got rid of the hard plastic for the MR mesh on driver side.

Then off to MAP

For these to be installed:

New Installs before retune next friday (this was a while ago, like April or March or something) with Shane (db tuning):
AMS LICP
AMS FMIC
AMS Widemouth Downpipe
Ported FPred with antisurge and FP porting and MAP coating
Ported Exhaust Mani with coating
Blaqops Double pumper, progressive based on boost
Fuel Lab AFPR (maybe fuel rail).

More pics/background coming....

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On the dyno with the Red, first time:

Chasing AFR probs, it was just the wideband on the dyno not picking up my exhaust right since its not a true dual...

Popped a coupler behind the bumper, finish tuning in a few days from this:

Compared to stock, if you look at 25psi, lost about 700 as i said. Still not a laggy turbo, people who call this laggy need to ride in a 35r car.

Coupler fixed, going with no front bumper just in case ;)

Better view of AFPR setup.

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FPred dyno vid of the final tuning:

Final results with lots of comparisons to other setups on this dyno for reference:

Current Vs. Stock Turbo E85

Current Vs. Evo 9 E85 Fpred

Current Vs. Pump Gas FPred (A different Car)

Current Vs. BBK 8 (schiedes at some point)

Current Vs. Almost stock w/stock tune

Shootout Mode (these seem pretty spot on for some dynojet numbers, I will hit MAP up soon, not sure if the spring dyno day is there or not)

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Then new blouch WGA to try to help boost...

Blouch wga, hopefully hold 30psi or so.

New Rims!

Swapped stock clutch for ACT 6 puck:
Here is the stock clutch/flywheel combo out...doesn't look terrible. I am really liking the 6 puck..still getting used to the stiffness but if feels great.

New rims on..ps, lost 15whp with the heavier rim/tire setup:(
Need to roll the fronts and the rears and then drop this monster truck, lol.

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New FPred tune since I got new clutch (i was worried before about the clutch)

Fixed my boost issue finally! DB plugged the wrong solenoid plug into my 3 port, so i was running wastegate pressure, lol. Fixed that and all was well.

What I baselined today at vs. final numbers...a bit different :D

Final:

AFR's:

Boost:

Shootout:

Vs. Last tune with FP wastegate, i have blouch one now:

Once we fixed my boost issue my baseline off the old tune was in the 390's, so the heavier wheel/tire affected me big time. But we still made a bunch more power! Car feels awesome.

I am going to try my new bov when true e85 comes back and see what happens.

Another note, we needed to adjust my knock sensitivity tables. Had to search online and got the table location from a tephra post. We were seeing knock up top for no reason and once that went away power kept going up!

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well finally got my ass in gear tonight and got all oiled up, from the car obviously ;) And pulled all the undertray panels off and picked up pieces.

I couldn't see a hole in the block and the oil pan looks alright from the underside anyway.

There was a sensor going into the motor that had broken off, hopefully it isn't the knock sensor :( It didn't have the connector on it and it's right under the intake manifold going into the motor.

Here you go, i can get better pictures of this stuff, these are just prelims.

Wrist pin

Piston chunks

No idea what this is, rod bolt side of rod?

Piston ring i assume

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My new car in the meantime...man it sucks, but it is cheap, reliable and gets good gas mileage...

And now rebirth time:

GSC S2 Cams ftw! Perfect for revving to 9k+ ;)

Remember this is all stuff in past tense, i pulled from another build thread i have that's like 40 pages long...
Great news! My luck turned a bit today...the head and turbo are both in great shape...the head is just slightly scuffed on the cylinder that went done but Danny said it isn't a big deal to steel wool and have their machinist clean it up too.

Motor pics...ouch time! (taken from two different cameras, one was the iphone, both don't have a flash, sorry no money for a camera now, lol)

Other side:

3rd down, the one scuffed a bit

Two big piston chunks

NOthing went through the turbo !

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good bye stock turbo :(

But here is where it is going...

FP Rebuild Form ;)

Hopefully I will have this the first or second week in July, just in time for the motor to be going back in :)

And dropped these off at DB:

They are technically 1300's, but DW found me a set that flows 1400cc at base pressure:) So I call them DW1400's!

Newness!
Boom:

Look all 4 pistons...so this is what the engine is supposed to look like.

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some more new stuff!

New AMS Spec JE pistons.

And finally what I have been waiting for...my new FPBlack!!

I will update more when I get a chance to.

Last I checked though, my head is done getting ported and all the upgrades to it and is back at my tuner's. The clearances were checked on the new pistons and rings were filed and I believe they are in now.

My tranny was checked over and got the buschur diff pins as well. So all the pieces are in place...just need to put it all back in the car..hopefully some good progress this week.

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the Black back from MAP, 2 day turn around. Awesome job as always MAP, thank you very much!!!

Not the best pics, out in the sun....but you guys get the idea.

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some completed head pics, nothing too fancy...

Danny (Owner of DB)said his guy didn't get too crazy on the head because he didn't see much restriction. He said he got the bowls inside pretty ported out though. The 4b11 head flows very well already, i am sure this helps though :)

The oversized valves all in :)

So it sounds like every piece for the build is there now. Danny said its just a matter of putting the head on the block and putting the ***** back in. So hopefully they don't have too many emergencies of people that need stuff asap so they can focus, lol.

Also, I think i am going with the cocktail mix when they put the tranny back in...the amsoil felt really thick until it heated up and didn't seem to help the notchiness enough.

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New Intake is done :)

Old AMS on the right, new Primo custom on the left, lil bigger :)

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any day the car should be firing up...just an FYI, i compiled this from many threads so if something doesn't make sense, thats why :)

Enjoy!

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I previously didn't show all the FP black turbo pics because Robert said not to since it wasn't out, but it is released now...

The exhaust wheel is clipped which helps with heat management as the outter parts of the blades are the thinnest and most likely to melt off.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Or you can do as murlo said in a lot of his older posts..watch your torque numbers...

1 - 20 of 5920 Posts