Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Over the last couple of weeks there have been multiple threads identifying some weaknesses in the Evo X's fuel delivery system. The threads below are the ones I found for both the Fuel Pump Relay going out and the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line popping off, both of which can cause a potentially catastrophic lean condition at WOT (I believe AMS had this happen). Starting this thread to house both of these issues in one place.

Threads pertaining to Fuel Pressure Regulator Vacuum Line:
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18803
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18366

Thread for Fuel Pump Relay:
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17957

Update: New Fuel Relay part number thread:
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18949

Updated by TRUSTcompany9000

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright, sticky-ed. Thank Dino.

·
Registered
210 Posts
if i was already tuned and had my car logged do i still need to worry about this? (because the tuner would have seen an abnormally lean condition) or is this the type of thing that could just go at any time?

would mitsu replace this faulty relay?

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
would mitsu replace this faulty relay?
sure, they should under warranty. The real headaches begin if your motor blows because of that issue

Edit: Yes, it can go at anytime. As long as you have a wideband, you'll spot it, but if you don't you might get yourself if some hot water if it goes and you don't catch it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
sure, they should under warranty. The real headaches begin if your motor blows because of that issue

Edit: Yes, it can go at anytime. As long as you have a wideband, you'll spot it, but if you don't you might get yourself if some hot water if it goes and you don't catch it.
so if i just go in to mitsu, would they replace the relay before it goes. or would they only replace it after it becomes defective.

also, im tuned, do you think they would deny replacing it because of this.

i dont have a wideband so i would much rather have mitsu replace it so i dont have to worry about it.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so if i just go in to mitsu, would they replace the relay before it goes. or would they only replace it after it becomes defective.

also, im tuned, do you think they would deny replacing it because of this.

i dont have a wideband so i would much rather have mitsu replace it so i dont have to worry about it.
if the relay goes and it blows your motor, they will probably blame to tune instead of the relay and that's when the trouble starts. And they will not replace it until it goes out. The relay should be cheap tho, so you can just keep a spare in the car...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Can someone possibly show a pic of these two items in the engine compartment? I'd like to do the zip tie as a precaution....

·
Registered
140 Posts
The relay should be cheap tho, so you can just keep a spare in the car...
:yeahthat:

This is one of those things where you are better off biting the bullet and buying a spare relay. Even though it is a design goof up on Mitsu's part, you'll regret not having a new relay if yours goes bad and you suffer major engine damage.

·
Registered
399 Posts
:+1: where's the fuel pressure regulator?
Its a silver round piece on the left side (as you're standing in front of the car looking at the engine) of the fuel rail.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ok, back to the relay issue. I have read several threads on this now. There still seems to be some confusion as to the best course of action.

1. Check the relay and replace if necessary with the same black relay.
2. Buy a another black relay just in case the first one fails
3. Replace the black relay with another black one now-precautionary
4. Replace the black relay with a green one like the three that are in there now for the starter, injectors and I forget what else.

Anyone know if the green relays are definately better than the black? And I'm still unclear to what a failed relay feels like when driving the car?

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
414 Posts
JDM EvoX Recall ~~> Most likely coming to a Mitsu Dealer Near You!

JDM EvoX Recall ~~> Most likely coming to a Mitsu Dealer Near You!

Mitsubishi Japan just ordered a recall on the EvoX. I thought for sure it'll be the fuel pump relay but it turned out to be the fuel line & connector in the engine bay.

Mitsubishi just posted pictures on their website. Check this site and scroll to the bottom where there are 2 pictures of the engine. Look at the fuel return line outlined in blue. The left picture is before the recall and the right picture is after the fix. As you can see, they added 2 additional brackets for the fuel return line. If yours doesn't have the additional brackets, then I'm pretty sure you will get a recall also.

This recall is to prevent possible fuel leakage from the fuel return line.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts