Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, I go by Roccy. From New Jersey

This thread is 3 years over due, as I meant to start one when I first purchased the car, but unfortunately.... it blew up lol. So over the past 3 years the car has been in pieces. But not all in vain. As soon a the engine failed, I began compiling parts for my build, and here is what I have to share. I am no stranger to the car world or build threads, but I have yet to actually finish a build. Hopefully that is not the case here.

Posted below are the links to prior builds:
Honda EH2/EJ6/EJ1 Build
Vermillion Red E92

FIRST DAY OUT

I was working P/T at a BMW dealership when someone traded in their 2014 Mitsubishi Evolution 10 GSR for a CPO M3.

• SSS (Sight, Sound, & Spoiler) Package
  • FASTKEY System
  • Exterior Package
  • LED Interior Package
  • Floor Illumination (BLUE LED) *A waste of money IMO)
  • Interior Package (GSR)

After having one of the Service Advisor who was once a Mitsu Service Tech go over the car I decided to buy.

I also spoke with the previous owner & learned of the current modifications;
  • ETS Intake
  • AMS Widemouth Downpipe
  • ETS U/L Intercooler Piping
  • STM Testpipe
  • Buschur Racing 3" SS Dual Catback Exhaust w/ Magnaflow Muffler
  • Turbosmart Wastegate with a 22psi spring
  • Oem rear mount by the firewall
  • AMS 75 Durometer mounts
  • Comp Clutch stage 3
  • MAPerformance CMC
  • Short throw shifter with bushings and gate selector by Torque Solutions.
  • Hallman boost controller
  • Tuned by Emery from STM

6/2017
The first mod taken care of was the taillights

I absolutely hate the OEM tails

So I decided to go with VLAND Audi Style tails

7/2017
My second addition was a set of OEM rain guards

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
8/2017
Next up was a drivetrain maintenance & gauge installs

I decided to go with AEM's 52mm AFR gauge (30-4110) & Boost Gauge 30-35 (30-4406)

Also paired the gauges with a Ortiz Customs Dual Pod V1

9/2017
Decided to take the car to the EnglishTown & ran a 13.3 on snow tires. (First time making a pass down a drag strip or even launching a car since I lost my bestfriend in a moto accident back in 2013)

And then this happened......

12/2017
So instead of searching out a new block, I decided to build this one out. Instantly started ordering parts:
  • King Bearings
  • Manley Turbo Tuff I Beams
  • ARP 625+ Headstuds
  • Manley Platinum Pistons
  • GSC Cams & Springs
  • Supertech Valves
  • Sleeved Block
  • All built by BEANFAB

2018 & 2019 were just bad years for me, & honestly paid little to no attention to the car or the build

2/2018
I picked a pair of VLAND Headlights

Paired with Morimoto D2H: xB 6500k for headlights & H11a xB 6500k for the fogs. Everything to be powered by Hyluxtek Hylux 35w Ballast

Also grabbed a Master Gasket kit & Alluminum Valve Cover

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So today I finally reached 50 miles on the brand new motor, parked it over night then i will perform the first oil change. I am also chasing down 8 CEL codes as well. From some quick searching I found that most are related to either the need of a proper tune, the maf sensor, spark plugs/coils, or the mivec delete gears.

So far the CEL are as listed:
  • P0011 (Intake Variable Valve Timing System Error)
  • P0098 (Intake Air Temp Circuit High Input Sensor 2)
  • P0102 (P0102 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input)
  • P0113 (Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input Sensor 1)
  • P0114 (Intake Air Temperature Circuit Intermittent)
  • P0123 (Throttle Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit High Input)
  • P0222 (Throttle position sensor (sub) circuit low input)
  • P0606 (Engine-ECU main processor malfunction)
I dont have my own code scanner to constantly read & clear the codes, so this is kind of difficult but I will push through it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That sleeved block looks nice!
Are you going to go bigger turbo as well?
eventually yes, i just want to source out these few bugs first then started adding more items. first thing I need to do is upgrade my brakes & tires. ALSO need someone to make me a half decent tune to drive around with while i break in the engine

·
Registered
57 Posts
eventually yes, i just want to source out these few bugs first then started adding more items. first thing I need to do is upgrade my brakes & tires. ALSO need someone to make me a half decent tune to drive around with while i break in the engine
Definitely recommend getting the break in tune dialed in before driving too much. Before my break in, I read about rich/lean conditions causing issues with the break in.
So I literally logged every drive during the break in and sent them all to my tuner right after the drive.

He was also fine tuning my MAF scaling at the same time. But regardless, it really gave me peace of mind knowing i wasnt running too rich/lean.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely recommend getting the break in tune dialed in before driving too much. Before my break in, I read about rich/lean conditions causing issues with the break in.
So I literally logged every drive during the break in and sent them all to my tuner right after the drive.

He was also fine tuning my MAF scaling at the same time. But regardless, it really gave me peace of mind knowing i wasnt running too rich/lean.
I've been watching my afr gauge like a hawk, haven't taken the car past 5k RPM yet. I just put another 25 miles on the engine today after changing the oil & filter this morning. The car was previously tuned and I've been limping it around on that. I have no faith in myself when it comes to logging, but I will eventually get over that and start it soon.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've been watching my afr gauge like a hawk, haven't taken the car past 5k RPM yet. I just put another 25 miles on the engine today after changing the oil & filter this morning. The car was previously tuned and I've been limping it around on that. I have no faith in myself when it comes to logging, but I will eventually get over that and start it soon.
Good stuff (y)
Stoked for you dude!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2/28/20 UPDATE

300 mile oil change is done, & i'm moving towards the home stretch of completing the break in service. Setting up a dyno session for next week, keeping everything stock for now, fuel pump, injectors, turbo, intercooler, etc etc. Once I get the car settled, I want to focus on the suspension, exterior and wheel/tires. I'm not one for slammed/bagged cars, wide boy kits, or big wings, so I'll be keeping things simple.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So....... took the car to get tuned today....... car is being super stubborn right now, well not really. Minor issues, i'm just anxious of the car running like its supposed to after 3 years. Also the car started making this loud clunking noise while turning, but also only while in gear at low speeds. Tuner thinks its a cv axle issue but the noise is non-existent while turning in neutral, which makes me fear its something worse. So i'm going to have to check this out & its forcing me to swap ove the new rotors and pads since the car will be in the air with the wheels off.

Here is a dyno teaser

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Went back to the dyno a couple days ago, the car responds great, having a boost issue though. Boost is set for 26psi but shoots to 32psi. WGA spring is set to 22psi, We’ve checked for boost leaks and found none. Tuner thinks that the springs inside the WGA are higher than 22psi but turbo smart only only goes to 26psi springs, so that doesn’t really explain anything. So I’m either going to take them WGA off & inspect the springs myself & change if needed, or just take it easy for a while & throw the big turbo kit on when I get it. Also car does not like to idle at anything under 1050rpm (yea he went and checked lol, anything under 1050 and it dies)

But here are two videos of the session.

Guy walked into my frame, but my tuner made him pay for it lol
Untitled by RoCcy_MiyaGi, on Flickr

Untitled by RoCcy_MiyaGi, on Flickr

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally decided to pull the trigger on getting the Evo back rolling. Still haven't pulled the trans yet, but its ok to spend money without knowing what the actual problem is right?!?!?! New ACT ME3-HDG6 kit with a new oem TOB, new oem flywheel (Previous flywheel has been resurfaced twice already) new oem flywheel bolts, Radium Fork Stop, Drivetrain FLuids, oh and a new snap on neck light lol. Still haven't decided if i want to tackle this myself or just have shop do it. I'm battling my laziness & work schedule lol.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sooooooooo I dropped the car off at Ivey yesterday for the clutch issue. They called me this morning to tell me that the clutch is done, BUT the car is still doing the same thing. They diagnosed it further to find that the rear diff seems to be locked. SMH

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ShepTrans 9/RA Diff is installed. I don't know if something is wrong with me ( which is highly possible, I am a little off) but I really don't notice a difference. Also maybe because throughout this whole wait, I forgot to order bushings smh. Install wasn't to bad, I spent the most time trying to disconnect the hardlines.

Trash Diff out

Loop the pump lines

ShepTrans Evo 8/9/RA Rear Diff with all the nice upgrades

Honestly I understand the debates on how to fill these diffs (fill plug vs drain plug debate), measure the fluid prior to factory given amount, add a tad bit more for reassurance then pump away.

All bolted up

1 - 20 of 23 Posts