Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Honestly I understand the debates on how to fill these diffs (fill plug vs drain plug debate), measure the fluid prior to factory given amount, add a tad bit more for reassurance then pump away.
Personally I fill from the fill line, but i also make sure to spin the tires after it weeps, allow it to rest, then continue filling until it consistently comes out the fill.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Finally replaced my Upper Tie Bar. Stripped the nuts out trying to remove broken bolts.

Then jumped on installing the JDC Bumper Quick Release Kit

Messed up my first go around, but bumper is going to get the license plate holes filled anyway so i'll just have them fix this too.

Closer look at my impatience

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Hey guys, a little update on the Evo, I haven't really done anything "spectacular" to the car, besides a impulse buy here or there, I have just been driving it and enjoying the car. Making up for all the missed time after blowing the stock motor (354whp) 4 months into owning the car. Still haven't experienced any benefit of having a built motor due to be restricted by stock fueling & stock turbo. I did begin to hear a faint tapping sound coming from the trans that went away when i push the clutch pedal. So of course I thought TOB but after popping the hood, I noticed the Radium clutch fork stop needed to be adjusted (Radium says that it will need to be adjusted over time). Got that taken care of but the sound was still there. So me thinking maybe it bent the fork or TOB (Learned my lesson, they mentioned it for a reason). Got those ordered, but it began to get difficult getting into 2nd gear eventually locking me out of all gears. Not willing to risk wasting $1k in labor for something as small as a tob or fork, I decided to change it myself.

Should have taken this as a sign, the axle nut was not playing nice, broke two breaker bars & embarrassed my handy dandy ryobi impact gun.

Ended up buying a Milwaukee Impact..... Smooth like butter!!!!

Got the TOB disengaged with no issues

After unplugging the everything in the engine bay, I found what looked to be gear tooth when I drained the trans. Figured since the car will be down I might as well throw make space for those impulse buys.

NEVER AGAIN!!!

So exactly a year to the day that my rear diff failed, my trans has decided to follow suit. Going to send it out to SHEP to get rebuilt while everything is off. Also need to get the hot parts coated, & heat protect misc lines. Maybe I can talk myself into installing it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Finally got the ShepBuilt Trans back some time ago, I have just been slacking on updates

Here is a pic of the damage

Today I finally got around to fixing the brake lines that snapped when the caliper fell when dropping the trans

·
Registered
980 Posts
If you need to ever remove the trans again, leave the knuckle, brake assembly etc assembled, and remove the LCA ball joint from the knuckle instead.

You have less components to take apart, less to put back together, and less to go wrong

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Finally got around to install the radium fuel hanger & split flow adapter

Suffered one casualty, breaking a fuel hanger stud

Going to wire this in tomorrow

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow, quite a journey bro lol reason I’m stock and may sell my x for a s2000 since not my daily but good luck !!!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts