Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, what settings do you have your DLSR camera on? I own a Rebel T4i and considering this is a camera designed for an amateur, my photos still suck. I have mines set to Automatic where the camera self-operates the lens and my photos still come out grainy. I also played around with most of the various settings and even manually put the ISO to the lowest setting possible.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I usually start by checking the metering on the camera. Ill switch to auto or landscape to see what settings it recommends. Then ill switch to manual, in bright photos I usually have the iso at 200. I will then adjust from there if i want little or great DOF. I find that landscape setting the photos are too bright. Are your shots grainy before editing? Make sure you have the file set to at least Fine Jpeg.

·
Administrator
24,215 Posts
I love shooting in low light because you get such great contrast. I use a 50mm 1.4f lens (cost like 350 and its my fav lens). No flash or ill put a piece of paper over the flash to reduce the effect. I also look for locations that have a few lights on at night.
Is that lens any good for portraits?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Tbh ive never shot portraits. PROS is that it is a lesser expensive lens, good in low light, great DOF control, very good image quality.

This is the closest example i have for a portrait. Shot without tripod in very low light.

Holidays7 by ThePieCo., on Flickr

·
Registered
509 Posts
I usually start by checking the metering on the camera. Ill switch to auto or landscape to see what settings it recommends. Then ill switch to manual, in bright photos I usually have the iso at 200. I will then adjust from there if i want little or great DOF. I find that landscape setting the photos are too bright. Are your shots grainy before editing? Make sure you have the file set to at least Fine Jpeg.
I played around with the manual settings and they came out a little better than automatic mode, but they're still grainy. I even set the ISO to 100 (lowest setting possible) and the file set to:

High Quality JPEG A2-size
18M 5184x3456

Is there something wrong with the file size? Perhaps the camera can't capture all the details? Should I set it to A3-size? The camera also has an option to capture in RAW format, but not even my version of Photoshop can open the CR2 file.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
My image size is 4288x2848 or something so you can try smaller, see if it makes a difference. Are you using the lens that came with the camera? Most times they are not the highest quality lenses. I know my kit lens took horrendous long exposure shots.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Tbh ive never shot portraits. PROS is that it is a lesser expensive lens, good in low light, great DOF control, very good image quality.

This is the closest example i have for a portrait. Shot without tripod in very low light.

Holidays7 by ThePieCo., on Flickr
This photo is quite bokehlicious!

Like others have said, I really like the shot of the EvoX in the mountains on the first page.

From studying pictures recently, I've come to find that I quite like a bokehlicous photo when the bokeh come from the lens and not from post processing. The bokeh in your gingerbread cookies (i assume that was a macro shot?) is pretty awesome.

The most annoying "fake bokeh" to me is the crap filter/effect that a lot of people seem to be favoring on Instagram lately.

·
Registered
8,999 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·

·
Registered
230 Posts
wow, really amazing shots. I especially like the landscapes. The ones from Iceland are simply amazing. The cat pics are cool too. I just bought a D3100 for myself, cant wait to get started.

101 - 120 of 125 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.