Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to quiten down the noise inside my car, but I don't really want to give up my exhaust.

The car is really loud, I'm running a full Piper Cat-back, Scorpion test pipe, Ultimate Racing Turbo Elbow, Turbo Technics Turbo with a C-Tec Tubular manifold.

I'm not bothered how loud the car sounds, it's just inside the car is mega loud, my 9 year old daughter has to travel in the car sometimes and although I always drive very sensible with my family in the car, I don't want to deafen them to death!

I'm thinking to get a resonated de-cat/test pipe, but will it help much? someone also suggested I get the car "Dynomatted" ? will that help?

I know I could always buy a quieter exhaust but I want to reduce the in car noise and not the outside noise.

any suggestions will be appreciated :thumbup:

Thanks

spike.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Dynamat will definitely help, but will add quite a bit of weight to your car if done properly. Basically, you'll want to dynamat all the doors, trunk, and under the carpeting in the cabin.

Resonated test-pipe will definitely help.

·
Premium Member
11,756 Posts
I need to quiten down the noise inside my car, but I don't really want to give up my exhaust.

The car is really loud, I'm running a full Piper Cat-back, Scorpion test pipe, Ultimate Racing Turbo Elbow, Turbo Technics Turbo with a C-Tec Tubular manifold.

I'm not bothered how loud the car sounds, it's just inside the car is mega loud, my 9 year old daughter has to travel in the car sometimes and although I always drive very sensible with my family in the car, I don't want to deafen them to death!

I'm thinking to get a resonated de-cat/test pipe, but will it help much? someone also suggested I get the car "Dynomatted" ? will that help?

I know I could always buy a quieter exhaust but I want to reduce the in car noise and not the outside noise.

any suggestions will be appreciated :thumbup:

Thanks

spike.

That right there is the problem....they are mutually exclusive. You will need a quiet exhaust like the HKS or something and may need to add sound proofing on the interior surfaces to quiet down the car. No other way I can see it happening.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Dynomat the trunk. The flor and the back seat area. It will help. It will add weight tho.

When I was doing a system build on my g35 I stripped the whole interior and dynomated everything including the roof. And inside the doors. Also used that expandable foam to fill in any gaps and passages. Reduced my in cabin noise by 25 decibels

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
"Raises volume on radio"

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys, some good tips there.

I might have to get the car better sound proofed then and also try and get hold of a resonated test pipe. I'm getting new Supertech valves, springs, A larger intake and some more aggressive cams in July, so the car will no doubtably be even louder than it is now :eek: :duh:

I also had the sound deadening removed out the engine bay a few months ago as it caught fire, because I'm not running a manifold heat shield :confused2:.

·
Registered
825 Posts
UR mini muffler test pipe

·
Premium Member
11,756 Posts
thanks guys, some good tips there.

I might have to get the car better sound proofed then and also try and get hold of a resonated test pipe. I'm getting new Supertech valves, springs, A larger intake and some more aggressive cams in July, so the car will no doubtably be even louder than it is now :eek: :duh:

I also had the sound deadening removed out the engine bay a few months ago as it caught fire, because I'm not running a manifold heat shield :confused2:.
:angrydomo:

WTH dude! You should know better. Its one of those things people think would never happen to them, but when it does, its like a slap in the face. Hope you have learnt your lesson.

·
Registered
315 Posts
i installed GTmat on all the doors and trunk and under the rear seat. It quieted everything up beautifully. I dont even hear my exhaust on the freeway now. Its very inexpensive as well

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Look into the varex exhaust MAP puts together. Its a single exit exhaust with a butterfly/flapper valve. With a remote control you can open the exhaust so its a straight pipe or close the valve and send the exhaust through a muffler to quiet it down. A bit pricey compared to other single exit cat backs but I love it.

Or start with just dynamatting the trunk. Its super easy to get to and do and might make enough of a difference to keep you happy. If not then tackle the rest of the car.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
:angrydomo:

WTH dude! You should know better. Its one of those things people think would never happen to them, but when it does, its like a slap in the face. Hope you have learnt your lesson.
Yeah I know, but no-one does a heat shield for my C-Tec manifold, and last year when i had a turbo oil feeder fail, it spat out hot oil onto the fire wall sound deadening and it set on fire so I had it removed.

i installed GTmat on all the doors and trunk and under the rear seat. It quieted everything up beautifully. I dont even hear my exhaust on the freeway now. Its very inexpensive as well
Good to know, but I might have to bite the bullet and just get it done :thumbup:

Look into the varex exhaust MAP puts together. Its a single exit exhaust with a butterfly/flapper valve. With a remote control you can open the exhaust so its a straight pipe or close the valve and send the exhaust through a muffler to quiet it down. A bit pricey compared to other single exit cat backs but I love it.

Or start with just dynamatting the trunk. Its super easy to get to and do and might make enough of a difference to keep you happy. If not then tackle the rest of the car.
The exhaust sounds cool, but I really like the twin exit look of the X. Dynomatting is probably my best option.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OP if you look at luxury cars, almost all of them have last layer of 3M Thinsulate acoustic layer on top of vibration dampening material and noise isolation material.
:+1: this will make a HUGE difference for you. I'd go this route for sure.
Thanks guys :thumbup:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Are sound deadening materials like Dynamat fire proof? My Evo X MR now has the stock exhaust. Yet, I think the road, tire, and wind noises are still too loud. Guess I am too old now.. LOL...

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I would switch to a different less loud exhaust that has a resonated midpipe and change to a hfc...doubt you lose more than a couple of meaningless hp switching from a tp...at the end of the day a loud exhaust is not only annoying for passengers but it can be a problem mostly because it also masks the sounds of problems that your car may have or develop because it overshadows them...ETS quiet exhaust or any RRE exhaust is my recommendation...GL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts