Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed while I was driving that my AP said I had 2 counts of knock. So I decided to log it and this is what came up. Can one of you experts tell me if its bad or if I need a new tune?

View attachment datalog12.csv

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Im not an expert, but im pretty sure over 1 count of knock with load values >200 and RPMs above 5k is bad.

Which map are you running?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not an expert, but im pretty sure over 1 count of knock with load values >200 and RPMs above 5k is bad.

Which map are you running?
Im running the Stage 2 OTS 91 map. Load values >200? Im lost lol

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Is that 2 counts of knock or is it Knock SUM as in it adds the counts of knock? I can't remember how cobb does it.

Either way its not the end of the world to have a 2 count. Depends on if its repeatable and its worse higher up in the RPM range.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Looks ok but you need to log all the way to 7000 rpms minimum. You can't shift/let off at 6k and get a good log. Also your boost isn't logging correctly.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Yea my car bone stock would read up to two counts on occasion, so its not the end of the world if its inconsistant. Post up a better log as the others said

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This one should be a little better. Less things to log and higher rpms. I got to about 7000, a little less. Thanks for the help guys!

View attachment datalog14.csv

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Looks great, 1-3 counts of knock above 6250 rpms is very normal in these cars. It's not real knock and generally doesn't respond to reduced timing. The only knock in that log that I think *might* be real is in the 5500-low 6k range, though it's very few counts.

It may be smart to do a few more logs and see if you see consistent knock in that 5500-6k range.

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
You might want to read this thread about learning what / how to log on the AP.

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47233&highlight=logging

I find that logging throttle % is helpful because you can easily trim your log files down to the portions at WOT (or close to it).

1 count of knock isn't a big deal. I'm pretty sure 2 counts is pretty negligible as well. It's when you start seeing clumps of more than that where you should investigate.

Keep in mind that knock sensors are sort of like microphones that listen for things that sound like mistimed detonation. They will sometimes misread a hard shift or other vibration as knock.

I believe if you are worried about your tune, you should also log timing retard to find out whether your ECU is pulling timing (it thinks there's too much knock).

I'm not an expert but this is what I've learned working with a knowledgeable tuner (happens to be Shadowcell who posted that guide).

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You might want to read this thread about learning what / how to log on the AP.

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47233&highlight=logging

I find that logging throttle % is helpful because you can easily trim your log files down to the portions at WOT (or close to it).

1 count of knock isn't a big deal. I'm pretty sure 2 counts is pretty negligible as well. It's when you start seeing clumps of more than that where you should investigate.

Keep in mind that knock sensors are sort of like microphones that listen for things that sound like mistimed detonation. They will sometimes misread a hard shift or other vibration as knock.

I believe if you are worried about your tune, you should also log timing retard to find out whether your ECU is pulling timing (it thinks there's too much knock).

I'm not an expert but this is what I've learned working with a knowledgeable tuner (happens to be Shadowcell who posted that guide).
Thanks dude, I am still trying to figure out the AP lol.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks great, 1-3 counts of knock above 6250 rpms is very normal in these cars. It's not real knock and generally doesn't respond to reduced timing. The only knock in that log that I think *might* be real is in the 5500-low 6k range, though it's very few counts.

It may be smart to do a few more logs and see if you see consistent knock in that 5500-6k range.

Awesome, I feel good now. I had a feeling it wasn't bad because I read that some people can hear the "knocking" sound. I haven't heard anything but the nasty Evo growl lol

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Really bad knock on some cars can sometimes be heard, I don't know of anyone who has been able to hear their knock on the evo (without some special equipment) .

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Im running the Stage 2 OTS 91 map. Load values >200? Im lost lol

I see that you have an intake. Is there any reason you arent running one of the Stage 2+ Intake 91 OCT off the shelf maps from cobb? It might be a bit safer to run one of the Stage 2+ Intake maps in your case. I did this and had Hollywood X check my logs and all was well.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see that you have an intake. Is there any reason you arent running one of the Stage 2+ Intake 91 OCT off the shelf maps from cobb? It might be a bit safer to run one of the Stage 2+ Intake maps in your case. I did this and had Hollywood X check my logs and all was well.
I have a 2011 GSR, the last time I checked Cobb didn't have any maps for an intake (just drop-in filter). I will re-check though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts