Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

My day at Laguna Seca

6K views 46 replies 20 participants last post by  Doubl-0 
#1 · (Edited)
It's been 2 years since the last time I was at Laguna Seca. The last time was only my second track day ever. Laguna Seca track days are hard to come by at a convenient time, but I was finally able to return this past Friday. I was worried about rain during this time of the year, but it was 60 degrees and sunny!

The track? Very fun. The corkscrew is definitely the highlight. I happen to have access to 4 cameras that day (2 gopros, 1 camsports, and an iphone 4), so I went nuts with the camera views. Unfortunately, my datalogger system was acting up (I didn't fully charge my GPS receiver), so I didn't get much usable logs to overlay my usual stuff. The gunmetal GTR that was chasing me logged a 1:48, so I'm guessing my time was about 2 seconds faster.

My brakes failed me for the first time ever. At the end of my last session the pedal started to feel soft, so I exited the track. As I pulled into the paddock, the brake pedal fell all the way to the floor, and brake fluid was dripping out of the fill reservoir. I boiled over. I just bled the lines with RBF600 fluid the weekend before the event, so I don't think it's a fluid problem. My brake setup (ST43 pads, titanium shims, brake cooling fins, and RBF 600 fluid) has never failed me before even in 100F ambient temps. I'm guessing the reasoning is 2 issues:
a) Braking technique: I'm still learning the track, and I'm unsure about ideal braking points and entry speeds. As a result, my braking technique was poor. Dragging, and increasing the brake force at the end of the brake zone, rather than the beginning.
b) Rotors: I'm still on the stock 2 piece rotors after about 12 track days on the car. The rotors are looking worn, and I'm wondering if they're not dissipating heat like they they did before.
I don't 'think' brake use at Laguna is significantly more intense than at Thunderhill. I've never had braking issues at Thill, so I'm guessing my braking technique was the real culprit.

I swapped out my track pads today and was shocked to find out that 1/2 of the pad had worn away. Prior to this event I had about 8 track days with my ST43s and they barely looked worn up until today. The rotors look pretty worn too. No cracks, but you can see/feel that it's significantly thinner from the wear. I suppose it's time to get new ones. Do I need to get new pads as well, or am I ok with still 1/2 of the ST43s left?

I have a lot of work to do still with this track. For some reason, I just couldn't figure out how to hit turns 6 and 9 correctly. I knew I was way off, but couldn't figure out how to correct it.

Since I don't have data overlay this time, I decided to add 'comments'. Look for the 911 that spun from leaking oil and caught fire. The end of the video is chase video of my friend's GTR that makes ~500whp/500wtq. It's an absolute monster. Surpringly I held my own on the straightaways with my measly 320whp.

The video:

See less See more
#2 ·
For the first few turns I was thinking, "Why isn't he shifting at all?" Then I looked at your shifter... MR:duh: lol
Commentary was pretty funny!

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks Joe, great video, hope to join you out there soon. Got to get the mods on and the car to Bryan for a tune.

Sweet video, I like the comments. Is that porsche that spun and burned the one that would not let you point by?

Those girodisc two pieces and a decent brake cooling kit are on my list.

#4 ·
Thanks Joe, great video, hope to join you out there soon. Got to get the mods on and the car to Bryan for a tune.

Got a typo in your link there. Sweet video, I like the comments. Is that porsche that spun and burned the one that would not let you point by?

Those girodisc two pieces and a decent brake cooling kit are on my list.
Fixed the link. Thanks!

The Porsche that burned was not the one that was refusing to point me by. Funny you asked, because my buddies that were there that day were asking the same same thing. LOL.

Yeah, girodisc 2 pieces will have to be purchased before the next track day. We're definitely going to have to do some track days together next year. Deal?

#12 ·
Great video. Nice day at a dream track.

Have you tried Motul RBF 660? I have found it less prone to fade than the RBF 600.

#15 ·
The RBF 660 is significantly more expensive than the 600, and soaks up water quicker than the 600. Plus I dont think my problem is the fluid. We will see...

What tires are you on? That also plays a huge role in the heat generated at your brakes.
Still using street compound NT05s. Im happy with them so far. I still dont think im quite ready for race compounds yet. Youre right, though, r comp tires will be even rougher on the brakes

Nice video!

What do you use for editing/compiling the multiple cameras?
Adobe premiere elements. Thanks for the nice comments, guys!

#13 ·
Awesome! As close to ideal track conditions as you can get! I really need to get a 2nd mode of transportation, that way i wouldn't have many reservations in taking it to the track.

What tires are you on? That also plays a huge role in the heat generated at your brakes.

#16 ·
Awesome video. I'll make the pilgrimage to Laguna Seca some time in the next few years, hopefully it'll still be around (noise laws, etc).

The gunmetal GTR at the end chasing you is faster than you, maybe half a second per lap. I'd say your best is probably half a second slower than his.

He made a huge mistake and you walked away, then he caught back up slowly, this shows me he's slightly faster :shades:

#17 ·
Awesome video. I'll make the pilgrimage to Laguna Seca some time in the next few years, hopefully it'll still be around (noise laws, etc).

The gunmetal GTR at the end chasing you is faster than you, maybe half a second per lap. I'd say your best is probably half a second slower than his.

He made a huge mistake and you walked away, then he caught back up slowly, this shows me he's slightly faster :shades:
Not to make excuses, but this was the session where my brake fluid was boiling over. The last 2 laps I started to slow down because of my concern about the pedal softening. Then I just pulled off. I edited out the part where I pulled off. Either way, if I'm just just a 1/2 second slower, I'll take it!

#19 ·
I'm going to stick with RBF 600. It should be sufficient for me. I don't think the fluid was the problem. I think getting new rotors and learning how to brake properly at Laguna Seca will solve the issue.

Yeah, I got lazy with the last 5 minutes. My forward facing cams ran out of batteries for that session. I'll admit it's no good either. I just like watching a 500whp car trying to keep up. :godance:

#21 · (Edited)
Nice video, i too probably was stepping on the brakes alittle too much also, still need to figure out the track more and feel more confident also. I had Hawk HP plus and was running ATE blue (not as good as the stuff your using) and had no fad problem. I think what really help the most is the brake ducting. Our cars (Evo x's) are oinkers (meaning heavy) and venting helps so much w/ the fad issue or you can run the girodisc 2 piece rotors like someone mentioned which has venting and expels the hot air out.

btw you have allot of cameras. =)

#25 ·
btw you have allot of cameras. =)
I think that the added weight of the cameras directly contributed to the brake fade issues he experienced...anyone with me on this one?
Sorta. I think it was a combination of the added wait and the extra drag of the externally-mounted microphone and other accompanying shit that put extra load on the entire system, not to mention their placement throwing off the weight distribution, making him use more brakes to control the car since it was so squirrely from the imbalance.
LOL, I guess I didn't consider the cameras as potential contributing factor to my brake issue. In defense of my sanity, having 4 cameras was not part of my master plan. I only bought 2 cameras (my iphone4, and the camsports HDmax extreme camera). However, I was given a goproHD2 as a very generous gift, and was given a 2nd goproHD2 to borrow for the day. Hence the 4 cameras, which is why I went nuts.

Laguna Seca is definitely a lot worse than Thunderhill on brakes. There's a lot more elevation changes and hard corners to work the brakes on. Thunderhill has more sections where you can carry speed rather than have to brake hard and power out.

Here's a video of one of my more interesting laps sessions... not my fastest that day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaT2WBOd980
Good to know, and thanks for sharing the video! I really think my rotors need to be changed. You can see/feel how much the metal has been gouged away by the rotors....

#23 ·
Sorta. I think it was a combination of the added wait and the extra drag of the externally-mounted microphone and other accompanying shit that put extra load on the entire system, not to mention their placement throwing off the weight distribution, making him use more brakes to control the car since it was so squirrely from the imbalance.

#24 ·
Laguna Seca is definitely a lot worse than Thunderhill on brakes. There's a lot more elevation changes and hard corners to work the brakes on. Thunderhill has more sections where you can carry speed rather than have to brake hard and power out.

I was there last year and like you, it was many years since I was last out at Laguna. It was hard on the brakes but it held out all day. I was using RBF600 and Project Mu HC+ brake pads. The temperature was 80+ degrees with no wind so it was definitely hot. I ended up blowing an exhaust manifold gasket at the track which cost me some power as well.

Here's a video of one of my more interesting laps sessions... not my fastest that day.

#29 ·
Frank being sarcastic? No way.

#35 ·
I believe it's in 2nd going into turn 11. Very slow corner. I put the car in S-sport auto and let the tranny do everything for me. It works perfectly.

#36 ·
Awesome vid and it's encouraging for your fellow SST owners to get it on the track. Any additional tranny mods besides the cooler?

#39 · (Edited)
Hey what run group were you in?
I would have sent that Vette down to beginner for not giving you the pass by sooner...I like your video even though your sporting the Boxster... looks like you were trying out several gauge layouts. I like the last one the most personally. Leaves more room to see the overall video. Looks like I have to step up my game with my Dashware videos... More to come from me after the next socal track day at Willow Springs.

#40 ·
I ran in high intermediate and then bumped up after I got tired of dealing with the corvette and other slow cars in the group. The event manager tried to demote the guy, but he put up a fight. Here's his side of the story on the corvette forum:
I also ran into some of the same problems of other ppl not pointing me by. Then I get accused for it when traffic occurs. Never had these problems before running at other track events by other clubs/organization.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1581101958-post10.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-...track-test-and-pass-sound-in-2-5-seconds.html
My impression is that the guy has no clue and is one of those asshats that signs up for a DE and went straight to 'advanced' his first time out because he didn't think he needed a coach. The level of idiocy in that driver was the worst I've ever seen. EVER.

I like the AiM dash display too. It shows the most info. I can even display steering wheel angle with the dash, but forgot to log the channel that day. I just wish it were more colorful like the F1 display.

Looking forwarding to seeing your dashware videos. I'm actually headed back to Thill this Sunday with NCRC to do some shakedown runs with the last of the tires on the Evo. I'm going to get the chance to do some session in a friend's GTR that day so it'll be some good video. That day will be my last one on street tires. NT01s are on order for the Evo finally. It's time to move up.

#43 ·
Nice video. Laguna Seca is awesome. My favorite in the games :)

When I meet a quick--only-in-straight car/pilot blocking the track, I usually stop or lower the speed and let it go. Anyway... I would be angry too. Worse than a slower car, is such cases where the cars block you in the corners, but dont let you pass in the straights.

The trackdays over here have lots of cars. If I try to fight the traffic, I wouldnt get good laps.

Btw, is the spyder faster than the Evo? My wife loved the new Boxster. I wouldnt be surprised if she wants to trade her MR for it... unless it is a lot slower.

#45 ·
When I meet a quick--only-in-straight car/pilot blocking the track, I usually stop or lower the speed and let it go. Anyway... I would be angry too. Worse than a slower car, is such cases where the cars block you in the corners, but dont let you pass in the straights.
That guy was unreal. I moved to a different group after I got tired of dealing with him. I was first out the 2nd session and still caught up with the guy and got stuck behind him. He fought tooth and nail from being demoted and still denies he did anything wrong. :waiting:

Btw, is the spyder faster than the Evo? My wife loved the new Boxster. I wouldnt be surprised if she wants to trade her MR for it... unless it is a lot slower.
The spyder logs higher top speeds down the straightaways, but the lap times between the 2 cars are equal. I'm probably not using the handling capabilities of the spyder to it's fullest, but then again my Evo is heavily modified and the spyder is bone stock.

You are my hero for putting pressure on a GT3. I would not even try :)
That white GT3 is my friend. He's usually faster than me. It felt good pass him, though. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.