Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
08 EVO X MR
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone.

So, this is going to be a long on.. ish.
Roughly a month ago I took my 08 Evo XMR to my mechanic, we were going to replace all the filters and do a fluid switch. So they replaced all the filters and did all of the fluids, but about a week ago I started noticing my car was acting funny, come to find out they didn’t put the right air filter on my car and then just the other day I noticed a ticking noise, not a knocking noise. So I popped the hood and I checked the oil dipstick and re-checked it and found that it was low, now I have gone quite a while without checking my oil, nothing too severe but long enough that you would expect something to be low and it never has been. Now when I checked it this time it was below the low line, I basically put almost a full quart of oil into it. Also my car started idling very low, 500-1000RPM, it about died twice. So just yesterday I ended up taking my car back to my mechanic and he diagnosed it as I needed a whole new engine, I had the other mechanic come over and give his opinion and he said it sounds like it’s coming from the top half of the engine block. So I left it with them to get the oil sample sent off to the labs to be tested for metal fragments. So depending on where the metal fragments in the oil came from should I hold the mechanics shop responsible for damage to my vehicle? I don’t know what to do. The car has roughly 103,000 to 104,000 miles. I’ve always maintained the car and been very good to it. Could this just be simple wear and tear from over the years.. or..?? I don’t think it is old enough to have a top engine rebuild let alone a brand new engine put into it, but I could be wrong. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
An incorrect air filter would not cause that much problems; unless the air box couldn't seal and left a huge gap and something went into the engine. Have you ever had the timing chain and tensioner replaced? A chain that jumped a tooth and bent a valve could cause similar issues. Bent valve would cause erratic idle and want to stall, valve guide damage could lead to oil consumption. A leak down test would confirm. Completely stock engine or modified?

Reactions: ugakirk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Low oil level can cause the timing chain to stretch and destroy due to excessive heat. It badly damaged my engine, and cost me about $6K (quote from dealer was nearly $8k, i bluntly told them i didn't have that much money, and they cut it down to $6k) to rebuild when my car had around 80K miles on it. Now car is at 145K, running strong and clean. Always respect the oil changes and keep checking oil level please. 🙏

·
Super Moderator
518 Posts
1. What do you mean they put the wrong air filter in?

2. it’s could be hard to prove after a month+ that the oil level was low to begin with, with you noticing it was running rough later.

So I don’t think you will be able to go after a shop really. I think you might just have to have the motor rebuilt. 104k miles isn’t that bad, but there are plenty of guys that have had to have a rebuild before that.

·
Registered
08 EVO X MR
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An incorrect air filter would not cause that much problems; unless the air box couldn't seal and left a huge gap and something went into the engine. Have you ever had the timing chain and tensioner replaced? A chain that jumped a tooth and bent a valve could cause similar issues. Bent valve would cause erratic idle and want to stall, valve guide damage could lead to oil consumption. A leak down test would confirm. Completely stock engine or modified?
No, I get that a simple filter wouldn’t cause that much damage, I was simply stating that this shop has once again let me down. The Chain, Valves, Lifters and Oil has all been checked and besides the oil everything else looked “fine”, But like I said been looking into other shops south of where I’m at. No leaks have been found and to be honest I’m quite surprised. Slight mod but nothing crazy.

·
Registered
08 EVO X MR
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Low oil level can cause the timing chain to stretch and destroy due to excessive heat. It badly damaged my engine, and cost me about $6K (quote from dealer was nearly $8k, i bluntly told them i didn't have that much money, and they cut it down to $6k) to rebuild when my car had around 80K miles on it. Now car is at 145K, running strong and clean. Always respect the oil changes and keep checking oil level please. 🙏
If a rebuild is needed I don’t mind having it done. I have already thought about an early rebuild just for kicks. From now on though, just through researching the car I’m going to be doing a lot of maintenance checks and making sure my car stays healthy. I’m used to having old truck, not nice, new(ish) cars that are high maintenance. But I’m up for learning anything.

·
Registered
08 EVO X MR
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
engine is expansive for those cars, do you have any oil leaks under the car, or oil gets eaten by the car?....Any bluish smog from the exhaust?
im not worried about expensive. Just want it fixed right or rebuilt. No leaks and no oil where it shouldn’t be. I have noticed a little smoke from the exhaust, but only twice in the last 2 years.

·
Registered
08 EVO X MR
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1. What do you mean they put the wrong air filter in?

2. it’s could be hard to prove after a month+ that the oil level was low to begin with, with you noticing it was running rough later.

So I don’t think you will be able to go after a shop really. I think you might just have to have the motor rebuilt. 104k miles isn’t that bad, but there are plenty of guys that have had to have a rebuild before that.
Instead of an K&N filter they put just a regular filter on, which I could immediately tell the car was struggling, at first I though they messed with the running because my runner kit was out, then I noticed the filter. I understand that proving them in the wrong would be difficult, I’ve started looking at High Performance Shops instead. It seems like that’s where I messed up. I’ve looked into rebuilds a few times and if that’s what I have to do then I will. I plan on taking it to someone who knows these cars and having them fully pull it apart to diagnose it and go from there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts