Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys! Recently picked up an Evo X and have been checking out this forum for a few weeks now. Haven't posted yet and since AutoX is what I'm most interested in I figured why not make my first post here.

I must say that this forum is great! Search and you can pretty much find your answer to anything (hence why I haven't needed to post yet.) A TON of excellent information and discussions here.

Did my first Auto X two weeks ago and totally over drove the car. Pretty much four wheel drifted every corner, though I did have 5 out of my 6 runs within a second I'm sure I could have gone faster. I do recall reading here that in an EvoX you need to "Attack" the course but I may have over did it. One second faster would have gotten me on the podium but oh well... you live you learn. Also it may have been that I was a bit over zealous since its was my first event in several years. I should have a new set of tires on for this weekends race and FSB for the weekend after. I'm hoping to get the car to hook up a lot better and to drive MUCH smoother.

Anyway just wanted to stop in, introduce myself and thank you guys for all the excellent info which has definitely helped me with my direction and expectations. Thank you!

JJ

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
From your pic it looks like you are X'ing with scca, correct? So what tires are you getting? Why are you going to a front bar instead or a rear?... just curious.

Also, where are you?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hey! These puppies just came in today. Will be throwing them on tomorrow. Can't wait for more grip!!

Several reasons have leads me towards choosing the FSB. From my experience autoX'ing an Integra and 350Z in the mid 2000's I knew that the RSB was used mainly to help get the car to rotate. After one autoX I already know I have no issues in that department. I was essentially able to get the rear around at will (not a bad thing) which was quite fun actually but I know that if I was any looser I wouldn't be too happy... and I like cars that stick their asses out! But you know what... it wasn't the autoX that got me to think FSB, it was how the car handled sharp turns on the road before I even autoX'ed. With all the hype on how well the Evo handles I was surprised at how much body roll the car has and how much the front end tended to dive in hard turns. My feeling is that if I can stabilize the front end I would end up with a car that can keep up with my inputs, both from my steering and right foot.

I'm up in the NY/NJ area but plan to come down to Philly on occasion. Was reg'd for the Meadowlands on Sat but just got word the event got cancelled. Bummer! Guess the RE71r's will need to hold off a week to be debuted.

As you know I'm new here so I'm yet to familiarize myself with everyone on here... do you race in the area?

JJ

Attachments

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
Many of the people that race in NNJ are in Nebraska for the National Championships. The usual suspects are going to Pocono for the weekend or Brandywines (BMSC) season finale tomorrow at Dover Int'l. Speedway. There is still time to register for Brandywine... break in those tires.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After reading your post I quickly mapped Dover and thought why not! Jumped in my car a headed to get my tires thrown on before work. Went to a reputable local chain that only does tires, wheels and alignments. They were working on some pretty nice cars, had a ton of employees and state of the art looking shop so I felt pretty comfortable with my choice of shop.

As I wanted to make sure everything went as I requested I hung around in the shop area. As I watched him work things seemed to start smoothly. After about ten mins of him struggling to seat the tire and him spraying the crap out of it with WD40 I started to get concerned. I walked over and asked if everything was okay as I didn't like the fact that he was using WD40 on my brand new tire but I figured to let him give that a shot.

After another few mins of trying to no avail he called over two of his coworkers. Now there are three guys trying to seat the tire and now smearing the whole thing with this thick yellow looking grease and using this huge air canister thingy. Now there is grease all over the wheel and tire and thought enough was enough ,walked up to them and said that if they cant do it cleanly to just leave it alone and I'll go somewhere else. They seemed relieve, threw my old tires back on and I headed to work with my RE71r's in my car - not on. :/ Oh well no racing for me this weekend. Gonna try Mavis Discount Tire tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts