Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to put forth some information on anyone wanting to push the limits of the 4b11t:

First off here are my performance mods:

FP Black
Cobb Turbo inlet
AMS FMIC
UR U/L ICP
AEM Box CAI
Turbo back exhaust w/hi flow cat
ACT Street Disc Clutch/Flywheel (non 6-puck)
DW 1000cc Injectors on 91 AZ OCT
Cobb Fuel Pump Kit
Cobb Access Port with Pro-tune
Forge WGA
Perrin Pro 3 Port
NGR Type R BOV

I've been running my set up for about 2500 miles and so far, so good. I installed my turbo myself (which was about as fun as driving nails through your finger nails thanks to seized downpipe bolts) and had it tuned by PSI in Tucson which is an excellent shop full of very knowledgeable staff.

My tuner was aware of the limits of the stock block and I made it a point that I did not want to exceed 24-25psi and keep the torque very low. We tuned AFRs to stay at 11.5 tapering to 10.7-10-8 by redline.

My tune was a road tune so I do not have numbers to post. I am a big fan of the virtual dyno app and can only use that as comparison which is probably not that accurate but has let me see how I've gone power and torque wise from a 91 OCT stock turbo tune to an E85 stock turbo tune to now FP Black on 91 OCT.

I have dyno'd my stock turbo tunes in the past so I have a ball park analysis for power numbers. However, according to the virtual dyno I am around 400awhp and 340-350ft lbs of torque. The way I use the program parameters, this should be pretty damn accurate as I have compared these pulls to my real dyno's of my car in the past and if anything my numbers are actually lower.

Of note my clutch started going out almost immediately after running my car on this set up which was expected as I have well over 100 launches (generous guesstimate) and 23k on it (my car has 36k miles). I'm actually upgrading to a Competition 6 puck (I'll post later on that as there is not much info on Competition clutches in the X's).

Boost hit's in the mid 4k range and I would like to keep it that way as torque is what kills the stock block. The general consensus is to keep torque lower than 390 but I plan to keep it at the 350 range. We tuned this setup specifically in this manner with a little later spool to keep toque down. What does this mean? I will not mod anything else to gain power or toque until I build internals. No cams or exhaust manifold yet. We are at the limit of the stock engine.

While I do not want to blow my engine up, I live by the saying "you play, you pay." With that being said, I will update this post and let you guys know how everything goes and if I blow anything up.

·
Banned
132 Posts
Nice post and congrats! I was running the FP Black on my stock block for about 2k miles before I swapped a built 2.0 and re tune.. my Only problem before was that every time I would giver er on track days I would always get scared of blowing the engine :S I also didnt have the best tune " the time!!
Regardless I guess its not to bad running a FP Red or Black, just wont last long with the guys wanting 600whp on their stock block lol

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It feels pretty good. I think it pulls pretty close to my e-85 setup just more top end because of the flat boost line. Still not like I expected tho, I have a track day coming up soon so I'll let you know then.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good stuff. Lets see a VD graph. ;)
How r u liking the ngr bov?
Is this a BB Black?
The NGR Bov is pretty sick. I have no problems with it and I love the sound. I haven't exceeded 25psi so I couldn't tell you if it holds up well under higher than stock boost levels. And no the is a journal bearing black. Sorry but I cant see spending 2500 plus for a stock frame turbo.

·
Registered
14,174 Posts
Hello Hello

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What did you expect it to feel like?
Im not really sure. My expectations might have been set pretty high but WOT in 3rd gear feels pretty strong. I cant really complain. I get A LOT more exhaust smoke than before thats for sure!

·
Registered
14,174 Posts
:p

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bad news, I fried a piston ring. The suspected cause was a failed injector in the 4th cylinder. I wont mention the brand name of injectors I was using but I'm sure you all can guess. These injectors were used for not even 60 days on 91 OCT! The shitty part is I got my FIC's in the day before this happened but we didn't have enough time to re-tune them before the track date that this happened at.

So now its time to either pay 6300 bucks (including labor) for a sleeved 2.1 liter block or close to 5000 bucks for a non-sleeved block with just upgraded pistons and rods or just replace with OEM parts and sell to Car max. After reading the "Built Motor: How many miles" thread, I'm leaning toward the latter.

Something so stupid as an injector failing, a brand new one at that is ridiculous. What really sucks is that after reading the shitty reviews and constant failures on this brand of injectors, I promptly bought different ones but I was too little too late.

I love the X, honestly more than pretty much anything else right now but I have a huge decision to make! GRRR lol

·
aka MitsuEvoX
1,000 Posts
Sorry to hear man. Keep us informed on your decision

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Wow man, this is awful news. I assume they were DWs, it's ok to mention brands, so people don't get confused. Thats really rough, you were trying very hard to keep it as conservative as possible too :(. Do you have another daily driver? Or is this all you have?

Were you throwing any codes prior to this failure?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts