Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i know some of you have already seen this on socal or evom... but since im part of all three, why not post it on all three right?

so this guy in socal with a bmw 335 decided to vinyl his car... i liked the way it looked and decided to try it out myself...

i don't think I'm the first matte black evo x, but i think I'm the first matte black vinyl evo x

i did mine for about the 3rd of the price of the bmw (if youve seen the thread on socalevo)... i bought the vinyl, i did some parts myself, and the rest i just had a local vehicle wrap place do.
i must say, it was way harder than i thought it would be (seeing other people on the net doing it made it look fairly easy)
but i learned some things along the way and am pretty confident i can do most of a car now, aside from some of the harder curves and stuff.
all in all it was a good experience.

I'm sure bmw is more flawless than mine, there are bits and pieces that aren't perfect (dirt under the vinyl, small creases, chips, etc...) and i think we used different vinyls... but again, i learned a lot, paid less, and I'm glad i gave it a shot.

ALL DONE (for now) PICS!!!

how it progressed:

now all i need is some gun metallic volk te37's to finish it off.

hope you like it, I'm sure there are gonna be haters, but that comes with the territory.

ill take more pics later, it was getting dark and my camera isnt great...
also ive decided to go wingless now and just have the little carbon fiber lip, but i have the original trunk and wing vinyl'd also, so i can switch between the two as i so desire.

if you have any questions please feel free to ask me.

added new pics:

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,071 Posts
Actually, I thought I was gonna hate it, but i kinda like it. If nothing else at least you'll get awesome paint protection for a while... :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ddawg1130 - thanks. that and resale will be a whole lot easier. i can peal it off and go back to grey when im over it. although if anything, ill probably just change vinyl color (matte grey seems interesting also)

·
Administrator
24,209 Posts
Wow, that looks crazy. Almost like a cartoon or something.

Is it clear vinyl over black or actual black vinyl?

Hey, at least you won't have to worry about rock chips.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kooldino - its matte black vinyl... original paint is graphite grey. it would be cool though if there was a clear vinyl that you could lay over any color you have and it appeared matte. i like that idea a lot.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Dude... that looks like a really nice job ... mind if i ask you how much that set you back? also... how long did that take start to finish? Well done man... I think it looks really nice w/ the angles of the evo :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dynastyx and boostin20 - thank you both

shabarivas - i got a roll of 150ft for $780 (the x requires about 100ft) i used about 50ft learning along the way, and then took the remaining to a professional. install depends on the place, i read it varies from 500-800. all in all, it set me back $1400. but it was an experiment and a learning process. the only things id never attempt to do is the bumpers, everything else i could probably do. total it would probably have taken 3 days.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dwreck - i will, ill also get some better quality pics probably over the weekend (hopefully ill have my rims by then, but its not looking likely cause i cant seem to find anyone that has them or that will even get back to me)

·
Registered
579 Posts
:bowlol::rock::yay::dancebanana:

I likey

·
The Tin Man
472 Posts
that looks bad ass! I've thought about painting mine matte black but never even pondered the fact that it could be vinyl'd. A+.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Wow, that looks great man. Nice job man.

More pics!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
straight gutter - yeah, cheaper and better since you can remove it when you went to sell.

flag77 - working in it. i took some more this morning... hopefully i can get rims, but either way ill be taking pics with a better camera this weekend.

·
Banned
2,949 Posts
love it

1 - 20 of 186 Posts